So how is the weather where you're at ?

Stacey6163

We planted new flowering plants last week at our Vero Beach house. Tonite is forecasted to go to 32. Should I cover them and with what? I put a towel on some of them last night and the sprinkler came on and the wet towel was soooo heavy it may have crushed those plants. Advice?

Unortunately, the sprinkler timer is locked. Now there are sheets, pillow cases, kitchen towels (with flip flop designs) placed and tucked all over the garden. I should have taken a picture. TV said don't use plastic. Brrrrrr it's cold outside.

Cold here...again.. with snow expected this afternoon. Nothing big, just 1-3 inches. The surprise is it is supposed to be above 30 sometime today!! That hasn't happened for about a month.  It was almost 30 the other day, so I took the dogs for a walk.  The backyard is such a mess of ice and drifts. All 3 of them were done about 3/4 of the way and we just went around the block :lol:

Above freezing here thankfully as both yesterday and today started in a fairly generous snowfall but as the temps are above freezing by niw the snow has turned into a steady rain instead.

So yet again the grass is visible

Hugs

Above freezing here thankfully as both yesterday and today started in a fairly generous snowfall but as the temps are above freezing by niw the snow has turned into a steady rain instead.

So yet again the grass is visible

Hugs

Grass?!? What is this grass you speak of?  I haven't seen anything like that in ages :lol:

• Like 1

Grass?!? What is this grass you speak of?  I haven't seen anything like that in ages :lol:

Oh, that, we had it rediscovered late Thursday and then it got covered up pretty well during Friday and this morning, but rigt now it iS indeed green-ish...

Hugs

• Like 1

I think Anna is a bit closer to the Gulf Stream in Sweden than you are in NY, Sarah.  Once again our weather isn't as forecast, which means we don't have the rain (yet); but this AM there's sunshine and a forecast high of 70F, and I've already been out in the shop and headed back after my "forum fix".  Our grass is visible and has been, but its a really pitiful brown.

Sable, burlap is the best choice for covering delicate plants to protect them from freezing and scarring.  It insulates but it also breathes so the humidity doesn't become trapped under it. 

We've been up into the 80s during the afternoons and comfy high 50s at night.  This is the time of year when Arizona is at its finest.  After the way the rest of the country has been hit so hard this winter, we expect to have a larger number of snow birds from both the north and the southeast next winter and we'll welcome them with open arms.   I'm shocked at how bad it's been in the south this winter.  My MIL is in Paducah and they had over a foot of snow this week which is so not normal for them.   I hope that this all breaks soon and that spring will burst out all over!

Spook to soon as it seems.... It is snowing with a vengeance rght now but hopefully it won't last too long. The groundis covered by alight layerofsnow so far, we'll see in the morning..

Hugs

• Like 1

DH just traded in his truck and bought a new car and I was wondering, if we wanted to take a road trip through the southern states, when would be the best time to go to see the countryside in springtime,  when flowering trees are blooming in state and national parks, and the temperatures are pleasantly warm, etc.? We'd probably be doing a lot of walking, 

Best months for various states, please?

Grazhina, here in southern Arizona, the best springtime visit would be in March or early April. The desert goes into full bloom about that time and it's truly gorgeous to see.  This year we had so much rain that the yellow poppies will be bursting out all over in addition to the summer-dormant cacti that bloom in late winter/early spring.  If you're a bird watcher, there are lots of trails to walk/stroll and catch glimpses of the migrating birds and all our gorgeous little hummingbirds.  In Tuscon, there is a must-see at the Sonora Desert Museum which is part zoo, part botanical gardens, part museum.  A little to the east and just south of Wilcox you'll find the Wonderland of Rocks in the Chiricahua National Monument which is a breathtaking drive thru the mountains with gorgeous greenery and some simply awe inspiring rock formations.   When I was a kid we'd run up there with a picnic lunch and stop at one of the campgrounds at the top of the drive.   Also in the Tuscon area is Old Tuscon where all the old western movies and TV shows were filmed.  It's a tourist spot now but lots of fun if you want to see some old west action.  Oh, and there's the Museum of Miniatures that you wouldn't want to miss if you're in the area.  I hope I have the right link but I think this is where our own Casey did a lot of the restoration work on some of the dollhouses.  I haven't been there yet but it's on my list of things to do as soon as Bruce can get some time off work.

I realize you may not be considering coming this far to the southwest, but if you do you'll never regret it.  The desert in the spring is at it's finest and there are sights to see here that you won't find anywhere else.  It's exotic and beautiful and a trip you'd never forget.   :wub:

Rain today, been raining since midnight, and expected most of the day. Our normally dry creek bed in the back yard is almost overflowing. Good day to stay in and be lazy on day 5 of being sick. Got a roast in the crockpot, and just hanging out watching the race. I need to be cleaning the house, maybe ill get a little burst of energy.

• Like 1

We were expecting a foul weather day to run from shelter to shelter, but had to get out of the house.  Instead it was lovely and sunny as well as warm.  I also wish we could send all y'all some who are suffering with the cold.