So how is the weather where you're at ?

Stacey6163

8 hours ago, Roxxie2 said:

...this is the start of lightning fueled forest and brush fires.......hate those!    

This is the reason the forestry people in the Southeast do regular controlled burns of state and national forest lands, to remove all the undergrowth that fuels wildfires.  It makes them easier to control and put out when they occur.  Unfortunately we still have the destructive fires caused by arsonists...

1 hour ago, havanaholly said:
10 hours ago, Roxxie2 said:

lightning fueled forest and brush fires.......hate those!    

This is the reason the forestry people in the Southeast do regular controlled burns of state and national forest lands, to remove all the undergrowth that fuels wildfires.  It makes them easier to control and put out when they occur.  Unfortunately we still have the destructive fires caused by arsonists

They do those here also.   Last year the one by us got out of control and we suffered for 3 weeks.   Mostly lightning strikes here but the controlled burns are often out of control.
A couple of years ago 8 firemen were killed trying to control a "controlled" burn here in Taos.  I can see the smoke from one of those from my window at the moment.  

High wind advisory....but it should keep the temperature down. Too bad we can't open the doors and enjoy the coolness.

It is suppose to reach 110 degrees by the weekend. I consider our Las Vegas summer close to a winter, as far as being cooped up inside the house. I'm looking forward to October already!!

• Like 1

It's not supposed to get over 65 today and only up to 59 tomorrow and overcast. YAY! I know that sounds cold, but it's just warm enough to be out and about without being too muggy or hot. I think today I will finally go grocery shopping.

The weather is just plain weird, going from sunny and blue sky too grey, almost black clouds, Dipping in temps as in early spring and then all of a Sudden it either rain cats and dogs and go into steamy warm mode, then back to chilly and almost raining, all in just the afternoon hours.... <sheesh> and it is graduating time tomorrow, where the ceremoni is planned as an outdoor activity, Yay....

35 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

Rain has crept back into the forecast, but so far just overcast.  

We're taking the rain for you ... just drove across the city -- and the bridge -- in a downpour illuminated by wild shards of lightning.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, KathieB said:

We're taking the rain for you ... just drove across the city -- and the bridge -- in a downpour illuminated by wild shards of lightning.

Well, I know what we'll be getting tomorrow...

Sunny 83 .... windy.........7% humidity!   

18 hours ago, Mid-life madness said:

High wind advisory....but it should keep the temperature down. Too bad we can't open the doors and enjoy the coolness.

It is suppose to reach 110 degrees by the weekend. I consider our Las Vegas summer close to a winter, as far as being cooped up inside the house. I'm looking forward to October already!!

You and me both!   We don't get quite as hot as you do because of the altitude ( 7000ft) but I know what you mean.    I have 2 houses planned for my stay in time this summer.

• Like 1

The big fire has us smoked in the past few days.   I went out and bought another air cleaner to help clear the smoke in the house.   All you can do it close up the windows and run the purifiers.    I don't think I will ever get use to these huge fires.    Where's rain when you need it?

35 minutes ago, Roxxie2 said:

The big fire has us smoked in the past few days.   I went out and bought another air cleaner to help clear the smoke in the house.   All you can do it close up the windows and run the purifiers.    I don't think I will ever get use to these huge fires.    Where's rain when you need it?

I check this site regularly and it amazes me how many fires  and the associated smoke occur across the States on a regular basis. Without getting political, I'm sure all of these fires are a huge contributor to the environment. Those fires in Mexico affected the air all the way to Florida a few weeks ago.

image.png

I know!   I check the State of New Mexico site all the time to find out where the fires are.  I went out and bought 2 big air purifiers because we have this every summer.  This latest one was set over 3 weeks ago by lightning.    We have these dry thunderstorms with wicked cloud to ground lightning but no rain.   I never saw this in the east.  Very scary!
The smoke isn't as bad so far today I think a slight breeze is sending it the other way, thank goodness!   

Plus the temperatures here in the high desert are soaring up towards the high 90's or more this week!   I can't wait for October!

2 hours ago, L Swearengin said:

KathieB. ..hope you are high.  Dry is out of the question. ..stay safe

Looking at 6-8", maybe as much as 12-13" over the next couple of days. Loose items battened down, supplies laid in. Hunkered down for the duration. 

Have a dental appt on Thursday. Hope I don't have to borrow a kayak to get there. Holly is in much the same situation --- but they have the boat. :) 

==========

2 hours later ... wind picking up, rain is relentless. Don't think I'll sleep much tonight.

And nothing ever happens here, weatherwise. *sulks*  Have fun, Kathie - sure wish I was there! Really!

I know when I was living up in the Santa Cruz Mts, there'd be huge fires around South Lake Tahoe and you could smell the smoke from where I was at.

We've been in the 60s for the last couple of days and tomorrow it's also supposed to be cooler. But then the hot weather gets here. Hot for me, that is. It's supposed to go over 80 next week. That means in my room it'll be at least 90. I hate summer.

6 hours ago, L Swearengin said:

I forgot where holly lives.  Stay safe both of you.. dental appointment can be rescheduled.  They probably won't be able to get there 

Well holly lives 15 or so miles inland from the Gulf Coast in Seminole, AL and about 1/2 mile from the Styx River, and about 90 feet of elevation (the river is normally at 3 feet, but not for the past couple of weeks.  Right now the eastern fringes of Tropical Storm Cindy is dumping buckets of rain on Kathie & m, only she lives in Algiers/ NOLA, and we all know that is at or a bit below sea level.  Here's praying the levees are holding.

• Like 1