So how is the weather where you're at ?

Stacey6163

It's been raining here for more than a week (minus 1 day which was the day my boss's daughter got married... they got very lucky :) )... I really want to do some spray painting outside because I need to, to be able to move forward with my San Fran, but it's humid and wet... not great painting weather...  Now that my days off are over and I'm back to work tomorrow... I bet it clears up... :cry:

Tuesday was Spring (temps in the 80sF) and yesterday was Summer (90s F), but today is supposed to go back into the (unseasonably warm for us) 70sF as we get a possible rainy front moving in for the weekend.

My friend NJ and I have been enjoying the unseasonably warm weather. On Tuesday we drove to Slidell for lunch at one of my favorite restaurants, The Palmettos on the Bayou, and today we're going to cross the causeway to Covington to a quilt shop. NJ's a world-class quilter, and I'm looking for some wide fabric to drape a display table for the newly reorganized miniature museum and workshop. Would you believe there are no quilt shops in New Orleans? 

We're going to a quilt show in NOLA on Saturday. There's rain predicted for early in the day, but it should move through rather quickly.

Holly, the vast majority of us who sew (both quilting and garment) have had to move online to get our fabrics. Joann's is hit or miss. I'm thankful that I have a stellar Joann's but most people don't. If I'm making something nice (I'm an apparel sewist not a quilter),  I only shop online. Once you learn your fabrics and content mixes, it's pretty easy to shop. Most quilters are dealing with 100% cotton in various weights and there are a few brands/shops that everyone trusts. It's definitely a different world out there for us sewists!

I don't trust the way colors look on my monitor; back when I quilted I liked going into shops and seeing the fabrics and colors.  I'm sorry to hear tht quilting I oing the way of the dollhouse miniatures stores, even if I do understand the economics.

11 hours ago, havanaholly said:

OK, I'll bite; if there's no quilt shop in NOLA, where do the NOLA quilters displaying in Saturday's quilt show get their materials to make into quilts?  (she asks)

I'm planning to ask them. 

10 hours ago, havanaholly said:

I don't trust the way colors look on my monitor; back when I quilted I liked going into shops and seeing the fabrics and colors.  I'm sorry to hear tht quilting I oing the way of the dollhouse miniatures stores, even if I do understand the economics.

The shop in Covington didn't have a stellar array of fabric, but they did have the plain cotton I needed to make a couple of table covers for the studio makeover. They mostly sell machines. NJ bought a new one to replace her 17-year-old Janome. They're going to ship it for her.

To be fair, I'm not sure quilt shops are disappearing in general. There are some amazing shops in Missouri and around Atlanta, the two markets where I've shopped for fabric. In Missouri, the Missouri Star Quilt Shop has pretty much taken over all of downtown Hamilton, Mo. Store after store after store. :) There's a Joann's in Slidell, but as Miranda pointe out, their stock is hit and miss. The now-out-of-business Hancock's was the only shop for quilting supplies in or near NOLA. 

Kathie, the next time you're here in Atlanta, we happen to have a nice one on the Southside too if you're interested and happen to be out and about. (and it's down the street from me!)

I just learned last week that there are also yarn shops... There's a couple in Atlanta, I'd like to try and visit one of those one day!!

10 hours ago, sparklepuppies said:

Kathie, the next time you're here in Atlanta, we happen to have a nice one on the Southside too if you're interested and happen to be out and about. (and it's down the street from me!)

I just learned last week that there are also yarn shops... There's a couple in Atlanta, I'd like to try and visit one of those one day!!

My sister is a quilter. She introduced me to Red Hen Fabrics in Marietta. It's a fabulous quilt shop.

Well... There's now the back end of a Cyclone heading down the coast towards me... so much for painting on these days off.... This summer is never going to end.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I know I don't have time to build a mini arc let alone a real life one, but I may need one soon. South Florida has been getting creamed by rain over the past few days with much more to come. I had to cancel our club meeting for tomorrow night since this mess is expected to remain just plain awful for the rest of the week. I've been here 35 years and never saw so much rain, outside of a stalled tropical storm.  At the meeting we were going to make over 100 cotton candy on paper sticks for the goodie bags for the NAME Convention in July. I'm trying to reschedule the meeting for next week.

The other issue with all of this rain is that I had to pickup my terminally ill sister's dog last week. Sorry, I'm not a real fan of dogs to begin with (don't worry it is being well taken care of) and the thunder and rain are not this dog's friend. Rain rain go away!

Yes, our reliable meteorologist said that, too;  And then back under the brollies by the weekend.  Jimmy Buffet is doing  concert in Orange Beach tonight and all the parrotheads and batmen are gathered, rain notwithstanding.

2 hours ago, Roxxie2 said:

Sunny, 80, 10% humidity....no complaints!

1 hour ago, KathieB said:

Uhhh, what's your address? You want some company? :D 

I'll pick you up on the way, Kathie!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Uhhh, what's your address? You want some company? :D 

Come on over!  lol    Of course we get the daily afternoon thunderstorm with 40 drops of rain.   I am always amazed how we can even get a thunderstorm with 10% or less humidity!

The bad news is,  this is the start of lightning fueled forest and brush fires.......hate those!