Willowcrest

KMK

I received this willowcrest free. It is in pretty bad shape. It was put together with a really thick glue. Hubby thinks it is from a hot glue gun. Some pieces are not put on well etc... Also the paint job is horrible, and there are stickers on the inside. I am hoping I can bring this dollhouse back! Is that possible or am I dreaming? I was looking for a hobby, and I guess I found it! LOL

What would I need to do to rehabilitate this house? Is it possible? Can you give me an idea of where to start? Thanks!! ~KMK~

Emma178.jpg

Emma176.jpg

OF COURES THIS HOUSE IS SAVABLE! Hehe.. I am currently building the willowcrest aswell, and since I have soft spot for this particular house I would hate see any creation of it go to waste. My suggestion would be to try some goo gone on the stickers, I think if you just give it a good paint down, maybe in white, and just start from sctratch and make it your own beauty!! I have total faith in it!! If you have any questions about the design or building please feel free to let me know, I can fax you a copy of the instructions if you would like. Send me a PM for more info if you need it :blink:

Jenny

Definitley a worthy house to save!!! Hmmm, as for the getting rid of yucky glues and all, one can always try the white vinegar solution or if it is that glue gun stuff perhaps try and melt it with the hairdryer and then get the bits and pieces a apart?

Then depending on the style you might aim for there are oodles of different exterior finishes to do, panelling, stucco-ing, and those marvellous faux stone made out of paper clay, imitating sandstone, using egg cartons teread to smaller shapes or cut to ressemble bricks etc etc

Looking forward seeing what you turn this gorgeous house into!

Mini-hugs

I have no idea what I am doing, so I may be asking some dumb questions, but here it goes!

The paint is thick and uneven in some spots. Should I sand it, and then repaint it? What kind of paint can you use? Should I prime it, and then add the color paint I desire? Or should I just add siding over the current paint, and then paint that?

Also, should I try to pry off the windows etc.. that have been painted so badly, or should I leave them on and just paint every thing white to start with? It must be hard to paint the windows with them still on the structure. But I am afraid of prying them off since the glue was so thick, and the wood might start to split/splinter. I am just not sure where to start with this. Hubby said I might be able to use a knife of some sort to cut through the glue and get the pieces off.

I have no idea what I am doing, so I may be asking some dumb questions, but here it goes!

The paint is thick and uneven in some spots. Should I sand it, and then repaint it? What kind of paint can you use? Should I prime it, and then add the color paint I desire? Or should I just add siding over the current paint, and then paint that?

Also, should I try to pry off the windows etc.. that have been painted so badly, or should I leave them on and just paint every thing white to start with? It must be hard to paint the windows with them still on the structure. But I am afraid of prying them off since the glue was so thick, and the wood might start to split/splinter. I am just not sure where to start with this. Hubby said I might be able to use a knife of some sort to cut through the glue and get the pieces off.

First, there are NO dumb questions as this forum is just perfect for asking those questions one really needs to get a good answer to and as around here most of the houses are either under construction or have been built by a memeber one will be able to get someone's advice on just the problem area or what might be what you are sort of stuck on.

And secondly I am with Tracy on trying to re-glue the walls, perhaps a hairdryer will give a good effect though try and avoid directing it straight at the acetate in the windows, don't ask me how I learnt that one though....

Hugs

OHHHH someone gave it to you?

how lucky for you!

refubishing can be a daunting job...I think maybe more so than the actual build

DO take the windows and trims off

try a blow dryer on heat to soften the glue and use a sharp knife to gently pry off all the trim pieces

place in baggie

I would take this house apart as far as you can with the dryer and knife.

if it has been put together with a glue gun eventually it will give out. sand it all

use the vinegar solution to get all the stickers off

sand, a good primer will help cover bad areas. if your windows tear...do not dispare you can use transperancies for replacements.

siding looks so wonderful on this house.

goods luck!

and if you decide you are not up to the challenge

you could always send it to me!

nutti :blink:

everyone here is right about taking it apart. I definitley woud... and a dryer works great. I am putting siding on my willowcrest right now and im very happy with its appericate, i think that wou ld really give your house an extra special touch. if you dont want to paint all the walls you can use wallpaper. my favorite paper to use to decorate my walls is scarp booking paper. at michaels you can get then .29 cents a sheet. not very expensive at all.

-Jenny

It's definitely salvagable!! If you don't believe me, take a look at my Beacon Hill gallery and see what it started out life like!!

Horray for you on such a terrific find and welcome to the forum!! :blink:

Here you go. I have more that she sent me and gave me permission to put on my webshots. This was before we had a gallery here. Here you go:

259570039NhIbNR_th.jpg

Click the picture I think it's my only in shot :blink:

She was selling that house under her other ebay name. You can see that one here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=120026161403

All the pictures are gone that she had posted there though B)

Well, since I'm starting on my Willowcrest sometime this month, I broke down and bought 3 bags of her shingles . . . they were just to perfect to pass up!! :cucumber:

If I don't stop spending soon I'll be heading to D-I-V-O-R-C-E court . . . :holloween:

Hello,

Well I have managed to get three windows off using the blow dryer and a craft type knife. I haven't damaged one yet thank goodness. :hide:

I am hesitant to take the entire structure apart. It seems really sturdy, and I am afraid something will break in the process. Is there some way to just reinforce the structure without taking the whole thing apart?

What type of glue should I be using to put the windows etc.. back on? Like I mentioned before, the previous owner used hot glue. Although not good for stability as you say, it has been good because with a little heat, the windows come off! :woot:

Hello,

Well I have managed to get three windows off using the blow dryer and a craft type knife. I haven't damaged one yet thank goodness. :hide:

I am hesitant to take the entire structure apart. It seems really sturdy, and I am afraid something will break in the process. Is there some way to just reinforce the structure without taking the whole thing apart?

What type of glue should I be using to put the windows etc.. back on? Like I mentioned before, the previous owner used hot glue. Although not good for stability as you say, it has been good because with a little heat, the windows come off! :woot:

Yup good in some ways, bad in others I suppose LOL. Now any type of white glue/wood glue will work I think as long as you apply it sparingly as it has a tendency to sort of "spead" when pressure is applied

Hugs

Everyone has a "special" glue that they use. I use 'Elmer's Interior/Exterior Probond Glue'. It sets up fast and is very sturdy once it has dried.

As far as taking the house apart, I probably wouldn't as long as it is very sturdy!! That being said, you might find over time that the hot glue deteriorates and you'll be making repairs . . . but then again, maybe not. It is, however, easier to do the repairs now before you have the house decorated and furnished though. In the end, do what YOU feel is best for the house and for you!! :hide:

Good luck with your project! If you haven't started a gallery yet, you might think about doing so. We love to see pictures!!!! ;)