Primer

kimberlyevermore

Hi Kim,

I would definitely recommend using a primer, any white latex primer from the hardware store will work great and a small can should be enough for your entire project (assuming it's not gigantic since you're making it in time for Christmas). You should be able to find a low VOC etc at many of the big chains. You could always use non-toxic kid friendly craft paints from the craft store, though they will likely require many more coats for good coverage.

Good luck and have fun

You can use non-toxic craft paints for primer. You'll need to prime under wallpaper to keep the paper from discoloring over time. You'll want to at least prime to seal the wood (or mdf) to keep any chemicals in the base materials contained, even if you don't apply wallpaper.

Kim, please take time to introduce yourself in the Newcomers; Forum.

Do not prime anything you want to stain; you cannot stain over paint, but you can certainly paint over stain. I use regular flat white interior latex paint (soap & water clean up) for priming. Once the surface you want to paint or paper is sanded and any imperfections filled and sanded flat and smooth you're ready to prime. I find one coat of primer is usually gracious plenty for a surface I'm going to paint; for papering with a light color paper I find that sometimes a second coat of primer yields nicer results. When in doubt, I make a test sample on scraps. I have a satin white interior latex I use for paint ffinishes I want white; I can also use my acrylic paints from the tube to mix with the satin latex for custom colors. For some colors I love the wee sample jars of interior latex paint that some of the hardware stores carry.

I use acrylic for everything. IF I want a primer I just buy a big bottle of the white acrylic paint found in any craft section ( even Walmart has it) and use that. Its all non toxic for a child. I never use anything else because I can't stand the fumes.

• Like 1

You can use any light colored, flat finish paint as primer. I use craft paints for my dollhouses so I usually use flat, white craft paint as the primer. Since I am painting the ceilings white anyways, I go ahead and prime the walls with the same paint.

• Like 1