Finally Home... Again

pdlnpeabody

Last Friday Gainesville got light sprinkles, which is different from the usual heavy showers, but makes the roads really slick. I was spinning the back tire on my motorcycle at almost every stop when I tried to move at green lights and skidded right through two different turns I tried to make without actually laying the bike down. I was certain I was going to end up in the E.R. from a bike wreck before the end of the day. Luckily I was only half right.

I ended up in the E.R., but the bike (fortunately) wasn't the culprit. For some unknown reason I developed a bad case of colitis. All I had the entire day was two cups of coffee that morning, but I was a mess by 11 p.m. My wife and I decided to use a different strategy than the past visit. Instead of trying to keep the kids quiet in the waiting room for however many hours I would have to wait to be seen, she just dropped me off. Odd thing was, there were only 4 or 5 people in the waiting room and I didn't have to wait at all to be seen. Wish it worked out that way when my kidney went on the fritz last Spring. Anyway, I ended up spending the entire weekend, Monday and part of early Tuesday morning in a daze, hooked to an I.V. getting antibiotics and fluids.

I was fortunate enough to get a private room in the new tower they just opened a couple of months ago. The room was HUGE! I mostly looked at the ceiling during the few times I was awake, but there was plenty of room for my wife, kids and stroller with space to spare. Late Monday night that changed. I was moved to the old tower, into a semi-private room with a snoring roommate, the old, dirty socks of the previous patient on the floor and a clogged lavatory. It was like getting kicked out of the Four Seasons and checking into the Motel 6.

My gut is still on fire and was when I was discharged, I'm on 11 medications and decided to forgo the liquid diet and just fast until the fire dies down. I wasn't in the mood to be a trampoline for my 2 year-old so I rode my bike to work as soon as I got home yesterday morning. I might not get frequent flyer miles over there, but there are probably people at the insurance company probably calling me Voldemort for running up so many bills this year.

Geeze Jeremy I hope you are getting better! I spent one night in the ER a couple of weeks ago. I was the only one there! It was kind of spooky.

I am scheduled for a day surgery on Monday the 25th so if you don't see me posting you will know I am having fun and games at the local hospital also.

Anyway, this post was about Jeremy, not me! Feel better soon ok ???

• Like 1

Geeze Jeremy I hope you are getting better! I spent one night in the ER a couple of weeks ago. I was the only one there! It was kind of spooky.

I am scheduled for a day surgery on Monday the 25th so if you don't see me posting you will know I am having fun and games at the local hospital also.

Anyway, this post was about Jeremy, not me! Feel better soon ok ???

Roxy, I hope everything goes well for you, and wish both you and Jeremy speedy recoveries!

• Like 1

Jeremy, does yogurt kill your colitis? I went through bouts of gastroenteritis when we lived in Jacksonville (actually I also had qneumonia three times whilst living there; not the healthiest place we've ever lived) and I practically lived on yogurt and chamomile tea.

thanks everyone!

Roxy,

Hope everything goes well on Monday. My stones were quite troublesome and treatment really damaged my dignity, but at least the recovery was quick. This time my dignity stayed in tact, but I'm not much better than I was last weekend. I don't think I have a stone, but my left flank sure does feel like I do. Not sure what that is about yet, but I will ask my doctor next week.

Holly,

I'm still fasting. Everything, including water makes things worse, so I'm staying empty until it improves. Yogurt is definitely out for some time. I was told to avoid all dairy products for at least a month or longer until the damaged area that deals with lactase repairs itself.

I went through something very similar to this when I was in my early teens. My gut felt like it was on fire 24 hours a day for 3 months. I was always doubled over and found slight relief if I ate something small (around a square inch), at room temperature and bland, and that only bought about 20 minutes of less agony. By the time it resolved itself I was 6' tall, weighed barely 80 lbs. and my cholesterol was around 20. This time I sought treatment, so I doubt it will last that long. I can spare to lose 60 pounds and a couple hundred points, so I might benefit from this if it doesn't interfere with my work.

When my mother had some form of intestinal inflammation they put her on a plain white rice only diet for a couple months to give it time to heal. After that they added tiny amounts of white fish with it and then after that she could add weak tea. It took about 6 months in all before she returned to a somewhat normal diet. Absolutely no dairy whatsoever, no cruciferous veggies, or red meat. Of course this was a treatment plan from years ago.

After that, any time she thought it might be starting to act up she'd go right back on the rice only diet.

I use the rice idea any time I've had some tummy or intestinal upset and it seems to work for that too.

Might be worth a try.

Jeremy, have they ruled out Crohn's disease?

Not yet, but unless they have non-invasive tests to determine that, I will never know. I have already made it clear to the G.I. doc that I won't agree to any humiliating tests or procedures. I'll let them scope my stomach, but that's as far as it will ever get.

Selkie,

The doctors told me about the "BRAT" diet- Bananas, Rice, Applesauce and Tea. So far I'm having trouble with water or Gelatin staying down, so I haven't gotten to rice yet.

Selkie,

The doctors told me about the "BRAT" diet- Bananas, Rice, Applesauce and Tea. So far I'm having trouble with water or Gelatin staying down, so I haven't gotten to rice yet.

Hers was way more restrictive than the BRAT diet. It was literally just white rice with nothing on it. Most gelatins have an animal protein base and lots of colors and sugars. It might be reactive to you in your current state. Just a thought.

Please be careful about the pride issue interfering with your logic b'cuz there are intestinal things that can leave your children fatherless unless tended to correctly. Listen to your MD's please. (old lady mothering you here - sorry can't help it - comes with the age!)

• Like 1

I second Selkie. A temporary loss of dignity is better then a colostomey bag! They are not temporary....

and loss of dignity is WAY better then having someone like moi messing with your food. You would not believe what we SLPs can order be done to food....