1/2 Scale Laser Trims

kellyannmo

Hey ya'll....

I am stocking up on supplies for my Jasmine Gothic.... I need heavy, Gothic, really over the top trims.... does anyone have a good source for trims.... my inspiration is Peles Castle in Romania.... it is really crazy ornate... and while the Jasmine isn't going to be quiet that crazy I need some really busy interior trims.... any thoughts???

Here is my inspiration picture I took last month.....

Here is a link to the castle's web site

http://visit.peles.ro/

gallery_6564_6445_35248.jpg

I just looked up images of the interior on the web (the link you gave us requires Flash which isn't supported on the iPad :( )

Looking at all the interior ornamentation made me think of scrapbook embellishments. I've experimented with some of the dimensional stickers, blings, etc and all took paint well. :D

After viewing the interiors from your link, it looks to me that some of the delicate Victorian style may not be suitable for this heavier Tudor/Gothic style in the photos. What about using regular roping style and dentil style moldings? They come in a large variety of widths. Judging from how extremely large they look on the virtual tour images in relation to the furniture in the rooms, I'd bet you could use ready made 1/4" trim from Home Depot or Lowes.

thanks everyone :) for links :)

(sorry about the flash with ipad :( ) I don't have any interior pics to share... Peles makes you pay if you want to take pictures inside... so along with the admission price, (even though our dollar is so much stronger than the Romanian) it was a pricey combination. One of my travel buddies paid to take pictures... I will have to see what she will share :)

I won't be doing too much bashing... on the Jasmine... maybe a little??? but I want gaudy, chunky trims for the inside... the exterior has plenty... I was also looking at Sue Cook's trims... I can order from her site directly, but the shipping is pricey from overseas... and the only US mini company I know that carries them I won't order from again. I have plenty of time to shop around since the Chantilly isn't near to complete... but I am itching to start on this project.

Morgan... I like your idea of asking the designer for more trims... there are several in this kit that would work on the inside I think... maybe I could ask him to sell them... and he has a cute spiral staircase in one of his kits I'd love to bash into the Jasmine.....

Debora... the scrapbook embellishments idea is also a fabulous one... I was thinking of scratch building a fireplace and scrapbook goodies might be perfect.... and would work well with the ceiling I'd like to do.

You guys are all awesome :) I knew you'd all have some great ideas.... you all get my mind deeply embedded in the project :)

ah... yes Selkie... also good thoughts... the interior of this castle is heavy and "gaudy" so those might work well... I have a bit of the rope trim... I may have to dry fit Jasmine to get a feel for the size of the trims I have on hand.

(I keep saying Jasmine Gothic... but I am actually building the Jasmine Gothic COTTAGE... silly me :bangin: )

Kelly, I contacted Leonard (LaserDollhouseDesigns) a while back about getting a spiral staircase and he was very responsive. I didn't follow up on that yet, but you might also want to look at the trims on his other gothic kits and ask him about ordering just the trims if you find something you like. He seemed very open to doing special orders. Let me know if you are getting a spiral staircase for the Jasmine Cottage; I might be ready at that time to order with you. :)

Also remember, if you are trimming furniture, shelves, etc., 1/4 scale trim might work better. For exteriors it is about 1/4" which would give you a 6" trim for interior stuff.

I have also had excellent response from Leonard. I am seriously looking forward to my first kit of his. I'm thinking I will get one for my husband to get me for Christmas :)

Ok, back to the Buttercup so I can get to my Chantilly :)

I love the eBay store Debora linked to. I used a lot of their stuff on my half scale Rowhouse.

You might be able to use some of the Unique Miniatures resin trims and embellishments on the interior. I can't remember where in CA you are but if you're close to Dollhouses Trains and More they have a pretty good selection, maybe browse and see what catches your eye.

They do and are gradually updating it, but it's probably not the best place to look for this stuff.

Try the Earth and Tree website, they have a pretty good selection of trims and it's all online. Look under Dollhouse Decorating, or type "unique miniatures" into the search. Also look under Dollhouse Building Materials in the Trims section, you might find some wooden stuff there that will work.

As an example, here's the front of my rowhouse decked out with resin and laser cut trims:

rowhouse345.jpg

rowhouse341.jpg

rowhouse346.jpg

Hopefully you can tell from the pictures what's what. :) The porch grille and "fence" at the top are Laser Tech (fence is 1:12 porch grille trim). The big embellishments at the sides of the windows are 1:12 laser cut trims (third floor window = brackets turned upside down and second floor window = "over window" trim turned sideways). The apex trim and stuff over and under the windows is 1:24 laser cut trim -- all of this from the store Debora linked to above. The trim around the triangular third story, at the top of the second story, around the edge of the porch roof, in the middle of the bay, and at the bottom of the bay are all Unique Miniatures resin trims.

I like seeing it in person before buying so I can be confident that the size will work in half scale. Some of my laser trims I bought intending to use them for something else, and misjudged the size. But I found other uses for them!

Wow Emily... your house is beautiful!!! Thank you for posting pics... and for the info on what you used... since I don't have a dollhouse shop near me your information will be very helpful :) I too have misjudged size... even 1/2 scale sizes differ so much sometimes... thank you thank you :)