Buttercup or Chantilly? Opinions anyone?

morgansmith

My question is this, if you were going to build a dollhouse as 'therapy' (something to destress you, make you happy, no other reason) and you were choosing between a (half scale if you're counting) Buttercup and Chantilly, which would you choose?

I ordered these two houses, one for my daughter, and she's chosen a different house since. So I have the option of building either. Because I'm having a hard time making up my mind, I wondered how others would think, facing the same choice. Either way, I plan some light bashing and a storybook type look that might hint strongly of bohemian/castle/critter...... If that makes any sense :)

And for those of you who know I'm working on some big houses, I truly need a smaller project. I've always wanted a Greenleaf Half Scale, so here I am :)

The Buttercup is an easy fun build and I think the house offers lots of bashing options. I have a Chantilly in my stash, but haven't built one yet. It's more complicated, but again, open to bashing. Either one will probably satisfy the need. :)

• Like 1

Oooh,what a wonderful dilemma! I haven't a clue on building either,but I love them both for different reasons. I love the Buttercup so much that for future referrance I made a Pinterest board where I've pinned photos I found online of some really cute Buttercups,done in so many unusual ways-bashes,I guess...Apparently it's much more versatile than it's simple layout implies (I don't mean simple as a derogatory term!). And the Chantilly is just a beautiful house!!

Oh,Stacey's note came in while I've been writing this-Yeah,just do them both at one time!! Do 2 totally different styles for variety! (Ducking now!)

• Like 1

Although I love the Buttercup, my only concern is wall space inside. It looks rather non existant. The Chantilly, my concern is build time. Ultimately, I'm looking for what gives me the satisfaction my fling did. It is a one room beach cottage. I have several builds in progress and little room to work. I need something I can pick up and put down, rather like knitting. The 1/4 scale is too intense, full scale too big. So, I have a small and medium half scale to work with. At this point, the Chantilly is winning :) Ok, now it's the Buttercup. The Chantilly, the Buttercup... See what I mean?

Why not bash them together? I wish the site were still up with all the bashed Buttercups. Our new member, Sherise, bashed two of them together and made a wonderful Hallowe'en house for skeleton bikers, and remember Rik Pierce's East o' the Moon started out with a Buttercup kit.

• Like 2

Morgan... I adore the 1/2 scales (ha ha...no secret there....LOL) I have built the Buttercup a number of times, once bashing it into a mini castle.... it is a great house to build. Yes, the rooms are small... and to be honest all mine have gone on to new owners so I don't know what they did with them.... but it is still a fun house and pretty easy to bash. I am working on the Chantilly now, and it is a bit more tedious... and the "interlocking" parts don't allow for much in the way of dry fitting, 'cause once some of the pieces are in place it is near to impossible to get them back apart (in my experience anyway)....still, I am enjoying the build... but I say Buttercup too :)

• Like 1

No kidding... Those interlocking parts scare me too. The dry fit is important to me. I'm not sure I like the idea of a challenge there.

It really does sound like the Buttercup would be my 'fun' build. I know I have to build something, fast! I didn't realize when the Fling ended, how much I would miss it. It's amazing what building dollhouses does to one.

As for bashing the houses together, I considered that, holly, and realized, I want different looks for the two houses. I am thinking though about building them at the same time. Feeding whichever craving I have each day. Hmmm... Lot's of color and whimsy or lots of rock and castle... It reminds me of back when I fed my car addiction that way. Some of the best days of my life were when I had 3 Mustang's to choose from as my daily drivers. Marriage and a child kinda ended that. But not my dollhouses!

• Like 2

Which one are you decorating in your head, or thinking of a piece you already have would look in either of the houses? That's the way I'd decide.

I was just telling my husband 'we need an inspiration piece'. I have several but they are all for a different kind of build. I've been looking on ebay and etsy. It's funny having a challenge with Buttercup or Chantilly. They really are both cute. I think one thing I keep seeing is Bohemain.

I'm sure you have probably already done this but just in case ...

I typed in "small cottages", "small cottage homes", "old style cottages", "modern cottage", etc. in Google images and came up with a huge variety of styles and eras. They were all the way from fairy tale woodland styles to modern and sleek styles. It's often how I start brainstorming. Good luck finding your inspiration.

• Like 2

Selkie~ I think google images is one of my favorite things on the internet. I have so much fun finding inspiration. My problem is that one of my greatest passions is decorating and I love so many different styles. I have lived in a gazillion places. If only I'd had a digital camera through those years. Sigh... Since I can no longer do RL decorating (disabilities from a car accident) I find my fun in mini decorating. The big stuff I sit and order my son and hubby around :) They are moving in a new cabinet as I write :)

I need an inspiration piece but can't find one. I've scoured ebay and etsy. Any ideas? What would a great 1/2 scale inspiration piece be?

Maybe you just need to do some basic priming, put her into dry fit, and let her sit for a while to speak up louder. You have had so many things going, that maybe her little bitty voice is being drowned out right now. Put her into center stage and maybe she'll find her voice. Your actual inspiration direction may be able to follow that tiny first idea.

• Like 2

Words cannot express my great apprrciation for this conversation. Each and every comment has held a wealth of support of my dh therapy and led me so well.

A PM this morning from someone special here, hit home so hard I got chills. My build needs to represent strength and courage. Well last night I made decisions which couldn't fit that inspiration more if I tried. Strength and courage. My usual style is peace and pastels. This build will be strength, courage and color. And yes, I count black as a color. One of my favorite. Why? Because it makes my favorite colors look even better!

I had decided on the Buttercup. I found an inspiration piece but had trouble ordering it. (because I do internet on my phone it isn't always easy) Anyway, I went to the store last night and found a magazine filled with just what I'm thinking. And there was this bed...it caught my eye...I showed my husband. I had a 1/2 scale kit for the SAME bed watched in my ebay! Cassidy Creations so you can't go wrong. Yes. It is mine and should be on its way soon :) Sooooo...looks like the Chantilly wins, to be started first. As soon as I can figure out how to order my other inspiration piece (something I've wanted for years) I will start the Buttercup.

Strength and Courage. Color. Oh yea, I was at the craft store to get supplies for my 5 year olds princess house (don't ask...hot fushia pink, glitter paint, glitter wallpaper...we're decorating in pink & glitter) and I got a purple paint I fell in love with. So, Chantilly, stone, purple, copper.....we have our first given's :)

I'll be back soon with more :)

• Like 2

Words cannot express my great apprrciation for this conversation. Each and every comment has held a wealth of support of my dh therapy and led me so well.

A PM this morning from someone special here, hit home so hard I got chills. My build needs to represent strength and courage. Well last night I made decisions which couldn't fit that inspiration more if I tried. Strength and courage. My usual style is peace and pastels. This build will be strength, courage and color. And yes, I count black as a color. One of my favorite. Why? Because it makes my favorite colors look even better!

I had decided on the Buttercup. I found an inspiration piece but had trouble ordering it. (because I do internet on my phone it isn't always easy) Anyway, I went to the store last night and found a magazine filled with just what I'm thinking. And there was this bed...it caught my eye...I showed my husband. I had a 1/2 scale kit for the SAME bed watched in my ebay! Cassidy Creations so you can't go wrong. Yes. It is mine and should be on its way soon :) Sooooo...looks like the Chantilly wins, to be started first. As soon as I can figure out how to order my other inspiration piece (something I've wanted for years) I will start the Buttercup.

Strength and Courage. Color. Oh yea, I was at the craft store to get supplies for my 5 year olds princess house (don't ask...hot fushia pink, glitter paint, glitter wallpaper...we're decorating in pink & glitter) and I got a purple paint I fell in love with. So, Chantilly, stone, purple, copper.....we have our first given's :)

I'll be back soon with more :)

• Like 1

Like I keep saying, dollhouse therapy. I've started the strength and courage theme. It works. And today, in the big picture of my life and that of our 5 year old, was an insanely intense and stressful day. Several times throughout the day, my little house that hasn't even arrived yet, reminded me to be strong.

The Buttercup as a Christmas house. For sure. It would be perfect. It may even happen for this Christmas. It would be a perfect fit with how I want to build the kit.

Please, don't anyone hold me to this, but I may end up with the internet and ability to post photos in the next few days!

• Like 1

Ooh...that gave me another good idea, Selkie. Put some motto's & such on the walls. It needs to be simple due to scale. I can just do KGDQ...the letters.

LAST QUESTION??? :)

I want this house packed with vignettes. The inhabitants will be darling little mice like the ones you will see in my Fling. The Little Mouse House of Courage and Strength. I want the decor a blend of bohemian and quirky. Not that they don't overlap anyway. Anyone have any ideas for great little scenes for photographs? I have two mice in a kitchen window with a pie in my Fling. I love the story the photo tells. Now, it's my Chantilly's turn.

I was looking through things and might steal an unpainted player piano from another build. I'm wanting to paint it purple. Now that's gotta make for some kind of a great scene. Right? A purple player piano.

What a nice inspiration to play.

• Like 1