Creative / Repurposed Storage Ideas

Stacey6163

As my addiction to this hobby grows , so do all the supplies used for it. Trying to keep everything put away & organized so that it doesn't take over the RL house ( like the dollhouses in progress :D ) , and try to reuse whenever possible so that there's more money for more minis . :bear: I love candles and have been using the empty jars for beads , hardware , whatever will fit in them , I take boxes with lids and cover them with contact paper and store larger supplies ,and am always looking for more creative storage ideas. :idea: So , what do you use ?

I presently use those plastic 3-drawer storage units on wheels along with plastic shoe boxes from the dollar store. I use to use empty kleenex tissue boxes ( which tear after a while), plastic containers from lunch meat ( washed well of course) because they have lids, shoe boxes, baggies, jars, etc. I got tired of all the odd assortment of those types of containers and invested in the a fore mentioned drawer units on wheels and containers. I only have a small table and not much space to store things so those units roll right under the table and also stack nicely :)

I've used just about all the storage containers y'all have mentioned already,and like Roxy,I have used the plastic drawer storage units on wheels for years. They are very convenient! I also use a lot of large plastic storage boxes. I've slowly been going through and getting rid of a lot of life size 'junk' that was stored in them at my old place,so now I'm filling them up with mini 'stuff' (not 'junk'! :p) For teeny,teeny,tinies,plastic pill boxes-the skinny rectangular kind with compartments marked for the days of the week-are great! If you can get them for a buck or so at the dollar store or cheaper at yard sales,etc.,they are really good tiny mini storage!

• Like 1

Wheeled plastic storage drawer units and clear drawer organizers you can get at the hardware store for keeping screws and small items organized. They're great for the little stuff. I also have some bead organizers that are multi compartment and these work well for current projects. I recycle clear containers from candy, nuts, spices, etc for holding miscellaneous stuff, even loose shingles. I also recycle small clear tiny containers like TicTac containers for fine and tiny stuff.

Oh, and ziplock bags. Lots of them!

• Like 2

now I'm filling them up with mini 'stuff' (not 'junk'! :p

LOL Kat! Mini stuff is NEVER junk!!!

This is a good topic!

I use to use those 3 draw units in my bathroom in my apartment as I had no where to store anything. I dumped both of them and they are presently full to the top of mini and craft supplies. I could use a third one actually. I like the plastic shoe boxes because they stack so nicely. I have a couple of towers of those too!

My beads are another issue.......I need something to sort those out into......suggestions? Right now they are in a big plastic container and every time I need a particular bead I have to sort through a bazillion beads.

I have several of these around my home, but the hanging plastic shoe organizers. I have one in my hall closet for cleaning supplies one in our basement for screws bolts nails etc.. easy to see.

And one on your wall/closet door for organizing things like wood pieces or tools paints etc..

• A space saver
  • Inexpensive
  • Great display

Like this one below ;)

Art-Supplies-300x451.jpg

• Like 2

. Currently I use the plastic bins and shoe boxes, but I might have to try the shoe organizer. I also use a couple of the dollhouses that have attics to store delicate tiny things that I don't want broken. The tower room in my Beacon Hill is full of accessories that I don't have a place for yet.

• Like 2

Roxie, I have a huge bead collection. they are all stored in the Plano fishing tackle boxes that you can find at Walmart. they are great for minis as well. they have lots of adjustable dividers, so that you can make the compartments the exact size that you need. the large ones are still under 5.00. At least they were the last time I looked. They are my go to containers for anything small that has to be sorted.

You know,Casey,when the Plano boxes were mentioned a few weeks back,I told myself I would look for them at my Walmart-thanx for the reminder!

Roxy,years ago I used to buy about 5 of the plastic shoeboxes nearly every week-when they were a dollar each. I think they have gone up,just like everything else! But,yes,I have stacks and stacks of them,too!

Jane,I'm jealous of your no-shoes shoe organizer! I do have a closet that I can attach it to the wall of,so if I can get one at a cheap enough price,that's on my list too!

My favorite hint so far,though,is Angela's dollhouse attic storage-Love it! Now I just need a dollhouse with an attic! :p

I just bought an old, cheapie wood wardrobe off craigslist. The plan is to install shelves inside to hold minis and supplies. Right now I'm completely disorganized and have to hide everything from the cats. Mini organization is my New Year's resolution for 2014.

• Like 1

I've been using the Plano boxes for minis. I have a few for beads and other components and a toolbox with lid storage for my poly clays and dollmaking stuff. For stripwood I use the cardboard rolls from paper towels and waxed paper rolls and stand them in the large empty coffee cans.

For beads I use a large drawer unit one on the floor for bulk storage and then a series of small and smaller ones on the table top.

But for the actual tiny little beads themselves I use baby food containers. The lids snap on and they are free. They are clear so you can see what you have and they stack nicely.

gerber.jpg

Holly ,great idea ! Mine are in a flower pot on my work table . :D Selkie , I love the baby food containers , I wanted some baby food jars for another project and don't know anyone with little ones , so I bought ( on sale of course ) six of the tiny jars of pureed meat stuff . OMG I almost gagged opening them up , but the dogs & cat were lined up waiting - they thought it was awesome. :)

• Like 2

. :D Selkie , I love the baby food containers , I wanted some baby food jars for another project and don't know anyone with little ones ...

You might try posting a "wanted" sign with tear off phone number tabs on a bulletin board for the baby food containers at your local library, elementary school or daycare/preschool, church, coffee shop/convenience store, market, or community center.

• Like 1

I don't have many creative storage ideas but I use those office supply trays, with the compartments, to store beads, wood caps, hinges, etc. I recently went to the dollar store and bought a set of four plastic cups for a dollar. I store brushes, markers, pens, etc in them. They also have some nifty plastic baskets for a dollar that I store items in as well. I store all of my trim using rubber bands. They are great for keeping all crown molding together, all baseboards together, etc. Big coffee cans and empty spice bottles also make great containers for supplies. They sell small, unfinished wood trays at craft stores that are great for paints. That way you can take the whole tray with your paint assortment right to your work table and not have to keep getting up to find more colors.

• Like 1