What Can I Use to Make 'Board and Batten' siding?

kat57

I'm really considering going with board and batten siding (b&b hereafter ;)) for the exterior of the Cool Breeze cottage,as I am calling my new build. What size for 12:1 scale would the thin little vertical strips be-3/16",maybe? I'd like to find them on ebay or Amazon-that's my 2 shopping choices at the moment-but not sure what to look for. As always,the material must be inexpensive! I'm guessing skinny sticks aren't skinny enough...Wonder if anyone has ever tried thick cardboard strips?? I know Holly did b&b siding on a house,and when I was asking about foundations when Debora posted a photo of campbelc's Chantilly I saw that it has b&b siding,too. I haven't had any luck finding anymore in the galleries using the search engine,so if anyone else has done this siding on a house or can point me in the direction of more examples of dollhouses done in board and batten---yay! Thanx! ^_^

Thanx,Stacey!Can't believe it,but when I 'Googled' the name after I decide on it-just for kicks-well,there is a real life "Cool Breeze cottage"! Looked like a vacation rental,can't remember where...yikes! Oh,well! I hope I can do this house in b&b-I've Googled real life houses done in it that are sooo cool!

• Like 1

Kat, I have done several batten and board buildings. I used 1/8" by 1/16" strips. I got them at a miniature shop, but I imagine that you could find them on line or cut them yourself. Lay them so that the 1/8" is flat to the wall. I did mine about 3/4" apart. The width between is up to you.

Kat,

I have not done b&b am wondering if tou could not use balsa.

I had a lot of pieces varying thicknnesses that were left overs from my sons model aircraft building days.

They are also in different lengths.

I have found them very usefull when I was fitting out the interior rooms of my Orchid build.

Only a suggestion!

You can get the effect quite simply by reversing your thinking and making the regular surface appear to be your "tiny" boards and adding GL siding strips at even intervals to appear to be the "behind" surface. It simulates the look but is easy as pie to accomplish. No fiddling with tiny strips that hard to line up.

Here is some we did. Used a bbq skewer to lay in-between two pieces of siding as it went down. Oh and of course this is a vertical application with the siding strips going from top (roof edge) to bottom - the reverse of how you would normally apply them to a house.

Thanx,Casey! I was wondering about how far apart to place it,etc.-that helps me a lot! I know better what size strips of wood to look for on ebay,etc. now. I might be able to get to Lowes or Hobby Lobby next week.

And if not,I'll have to look at my wood scraps,especially the punch out leftovers from dh kits-not balsa,but they are thin.... Maybe I could figure something out,now that I have a width idea. I have a nice little square bladed (razor?)craft saw,so that might be worth trying.Thanx,Gail!

Stacey,I like the board and batten idea better and better! I think if one can imagine the Ashley without all the semi-Tudor looking trim (Or whatever look they were going for) that is on the house in the box photo or on most actually built ones,(if you can find a photo of one!),the bare bones of the house just lends itself to a b&b look to me! Thanx!

I also wanted to acknowledge Alamom,Paula for posting a photo of her lovely board & batten house on the foundation topic that I started earlier. Thanx,Paula-I love that house and the landscaping is incredible!

I just got to thinking,the exterior trim I'm talking about that comes in the kit is 3/32x5/16 pine. Too bad I don't have power tools-and do not have a desire to start!LOL And I don't know if I could possibly cut it straight with my craft saw-I'll just stick to trying thin scrapwood if I can't buy some.

Thanx,Debora! I am so happy with the name-I never did 'feel' one for the pizza place-which is on the back burner now. How thick are stir sticks anyway,any of y'all who know?

Selkie,I have seen that effect on real builds in my searches and liked it,too! Thanx for another good idea to consider!

Everyone has been so helpful! I will be dreaming of a b&b house tonight!! :D I have been doing a little bit of this and that,scribing the floors and such these weekdays,but I will get more done on it this weekend! Thanx everyone so far! ^_^

Edited by kat57

I did the B&B using the siding strips from HBS. They are irregular in size and have a rough finish; and very thin and easy to cut. I guess I did it the hard way - I glued the strips down first (pre-stained), then cut 1/4" strips to glue over the joints. I used this for my rustic Mountain Retreat.

I love this,CJ-what fun! Thanx for posting that. I want to see the inside now! :)

Although I really like the look of GL siding,I've decided for sure I'll have to fake it and attach the thin strips of wood right to the kit wall,cuz I don't currently have funds to purchase 'boards' and 'batten'. :( Debora,I forgot to go look for the skinny sticks on Amazon-will do that in a bit,as I'm hoping they will be thin enough! When I have a day off and am rested up,I'm going to draw vertical lines 3/4" apart onto the kit walls to get an idea of what b&b will really look like on this house (I think it will look great,but if not...). That way,the guide lines for the strips will be there if I decide it will work,and if not I can paint over them! :p I have more questions,but will wait until I do the guidelines. Taking pix as I go,too.

Whoops,skinny sticks are too short-never thought of that! I'll need something as long as the height of the house,I'd think,and that is 16 3/4".

Edited by kat57
  • Like 1

Kat57 - Can't wait to see your Cool Breeze Cabin come together! That sort of siding is beautiful, and has to take some patience to create. I am trying to figure out if that might work for any of my Halloweentown buildings....I'd like to do it, but not sure if fits any of my ideas! Ah well, something else to enjoy vicariously! :holloween:

CheckMouse - your Mountain Retreat looks amazing. It looks like a real building! :D

• Like 2

I attached the strips to the walls of the kit. Another option for skinny strips is place mats. Keep an eye out. Even the dollar stores have the bamboo ones sometimes. Most are too wide, but once in a while I luck out and find what I need.

• Like 1

Whoa,bamboo placemats! This weekend I'm planning on rearranging a messy closet,so I'll go through my stash of 'stuff' to see if I don't have something useful right under my nose that I've forgotten about. Thanx,Casey!

• Like 1

Kat, love your idea and name Cool Breeze! I cut my own siding strips from cardboard, sealed them with modge podge. I painted the whole deal after I finished siding. It wasn't too bad to do on my half scale puzzle house. I also sided a house with leftover shingles to look like cedar shakes. The beach houses where I grew up use cedar shake shingles instead of siding.

• Like 1

Okay,girl,there is my answer!! I will give you a holler back later after work and see if you have a photo. I can definitely do cardboard!!LOL Thanx,Roxy! Yeah,I figured I'd be sitting there on one of the little porch benches enjoying a cool little breeze,like I do here on my dinky porch-just not right now-brrrr! lol And maybe I can do something different with the kit,to have an open window (or 2) somehow...we will see! Yeah,this is getting more exciting all the time! Thanx to my GL buddies for your patience! I can be a whiny crank,but this is getting me happy,happy! :D

• Like 1