Orchid Size

ConJe01

Hey All! I read on a post recently that the Orchid appears to be smaller than the standard 1' = 1" scale. I recently found out you should always measure everything because not all one manufacturer's 1" is the same as another. What are some of your ideas on how to fix this visual mishap? Would 1/2 scale furniture be too small?

Unfortunately, I've bought a lot of furniture in the 1" scale. I don't even know how to decorate to start with so I'm really confused.

CJ

Half scale furniture is too small. The Orchid is one inch scale, it just has small rooms. You can leave out the stairs for more space (I didn't like the stairs with the kit anyway).

The Greenleaf kit furniture is a bit large for the Orchid. I made the front gable into a bed in both the Orchids I built. I made all the furnishings I endes up putting into the wood version, which I made into a general store (it's in the Team Orchid building blog); I used some kit-built furniture and some $Tree furniture in the white plastic version: http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?app=gallery&album=2918

I moved the stairs to the back edge going the other direction (parallel to the back edge) to save space. I divided the dormer in half with a removable wall to make the 2 upstairs rooms larger. The stairs some up in the middle so both rooms can access it.

Some furniture pieces are just bulkier than others. Look for streamlined ones. Think love seat instead of a full sofa, trundle bed instead of a double bed, - that sort of thing. As Holly said, dollar store furniture is smaller even though they call it full scale. It's easy to redecorate it to match your theme. A lot of the store bought appliances are large so you might try to make some of those.

Remember it's the illusion of what you put in. You don't need every little thing to make it look complete. The Buttercup is also a 1:12 scale but it is vey tiny - more cottagey, imo. They make adorable little shops and critter homes.

That's why I make a lot of my furniture because you can custom fit the size to the space you have. I even made kitchens that were too small for any of the appliances but my home made ones fit nicely! I notice that furniture you buy sometimes is not all in scale.

We've gone through this before; real life 1:1 furniture and appliances come in a variety of different sizes. It would be nice if you could collect furniture, etc, for your dollhouse ahead of time, but it really doesn't always fit. I really like making my own furniture, because I can adjust size so it fits a particular house's floor plan.

When I built the Fairfields I had collected together several sets of what HBS sold as 1:24 furniture. When I started putting my 1:24 people into the house, out the furniture came. DH, the engineer, measured the furniture and we realized it was MUCH closer to 1:32 scale, enough smaller than 1:24 to be ridiculous. The Cassidy Creations kits I made up are perfect 1:24, so I got out my various dh furnituure books with their 1:12 plans and my graph paper and redrafted the plans and built new 1:24 pieces I didn't have kits for.

I agree about the different furniture sizes and love the Cassidy Creations kits because they are perfect half scale like you say. Chrysnbon is also just right for one inch scale. I've found that most Bespac is the right scale (1:12 or 1:24), but even among the higher end makers there is a lot of variation. I ultimately rely on what looks aesthetically pleasing to me.

If I absolutely have to have a particular piece of furniture in my house because I love it, I just put it in and don't worry too much about it. The only thing I couldn't figure was a Roper stove that I loved but it seemed way too big for most regular 1:12 dollhouses. I ended up concocting a reasonable version of the stove from what else........a michael's hutch.

• Like 1

My Orchid will be built for the pieces that are overflow from my house Da built me. It will be what it will be :bigwink:

But yes, I have some scale pieces that seem bigger then others...and I have some RL pieces that are bigger then others! :D

My sister has her Orchid half built, and I will admit I was surprised at how tiny it is.

Yes it does look great in there! I built a front opening house that was narrow to start with and then I divided the downstairs so the kitchen was really narrow. It would have fit nicely in my Farm House but I did a 50's kitchen in that one.

Hey HHolly, firstly what do I call you?

I did a search under Blogs for Team Orchid. It pulled a profile, but it doesn't show any galleries. I'm thinking I'm looking in the wrong place? Can you link me, please?

CJ2

CJ, there are two Team Orchid building blogs because that time Dean invited the rest of the community to build along with the building team: http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?app=blog&module=display&section=blog&blogid=25 and http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?app=blog&module=display&section=blog&blogid=26

If I absolutely have to have a particular piece of furniture in my house because I love it, I just put it in and don't worry too much about it. The only thing I couldn't figure was a Roper stove that I loved but it seemed way too big for most regular 1:12 dollhouses. I ended up concocting a reasonable version of the stove from what else........a michael's hutch.

I would love to see a picture of your stove. :D