Magnolia finally taking shape

HelenV

Helen, my Maggie is finished off the way she is, with the board and batten downstairs and shingles up, and beadboard inside, because she's a North Florida "Cracker" house. I love how this kit adapts so nicely to the various local styles.

• Like 1

There is a 'modern' version of The Magnolia on Deb's Minis website,under Sleek Geek Chic.

Just a different way to do The Magnolia that I thought was interesting. So glad for those of you who have found it at great savings-makes it even more fun,I'm sure!! :)

• Like 1

Hope the Magnolia isn't one of those bossy ones - might take me awhile to get to her. :) So many houses , so little time .

Well mine's very patient and polite while asserting her style - I'd have to say she's a gentle lady so hopefully yours is too !!! So exciting for you to have so many amazing projects to choose from :)

All of you talking about migraines and hormones. I had BAAAAAAAAD migraines for years. Then, they discovered it was because I took estrogen PILLS. They changed me to patches and good bye migraines. Perhaps one of you have a similar possible solution. My heart goes out to you.

My Magnolia? $25 on craigslist.

Thank you Morgan :) Yay that you found the cause of your migraines and they're gone !!!

Another bargain that I'm envious of !!! Seriously though I think it's awesome that you all can find such amazing bargains!

Helen, my Maggie is finished off the way she is, with the board and batten downstairs and shingles up, and beadboard inside, because she's a North Florida "Cracker" house. I love how this kit adapts so nicely to the various local styles.

They definitely do seem to be very adaptable houses and I too love how it adapts to local styles :)

The Magnolia is such a pretty design....I never really saw many finished.

:) - hopefully in the next couple of months you'll get to see another one!

• Like 2

There is a 'modern' version of The Magnolia on Deb's Minis website,under Sleek Geek Chic.

Just a different way to do The Magnolia that I thought was interesting...

Deb built it for the Team Magnolia building blog.

Yes,Stacey,that's her-I edited the link out when I saw it didn't work-you must've seen my post before that. :p And Holly,I was just gonna ask you which 'deb' she is so I could find her gallery-great timing! :D I've admired her work many times,but didn't recall her being a GL member.... love it!!!

Oh,she's that Deb! She's all over the place in the archives/old posts,and is so fun! :D

Edited by kat57

I'm an idiot. I accidentally lied. I have a Westville I got for $25. I like the Magnolia better and hope to have one someday. Maybe half scale, please Greenleaf, more half scale!

You're not an idiot at all! We all get confused and with so many amazing houses to choose from how could you not get confused. And maybe just maybe it was your subconscious saying "I must get a Magnolia" lol...

• Like 2

Gee, I wish I could find a Westville kit for USD$25!

Kat, Deb Roberts was the Greenleaf Forum for mini years, until her health issues became overwhelming. She has so much sheer talent and personality that I still miss her posts and incredible spirit, and I hope she still reads us and sees how much she's missed!

• Like 2

Yes,I wish Deb could/would contribute now-what fun! Thanx Holly.

Morgan-nobody can have the idiot title but me!! I've earned it too well!!LOL Seriously,I agree with what Helen said earlier -I wish I could come across such bargains,whenever I do have the $ to spend.

• Like 2

Sorry :) I was laughing when I said idiot. I was just sitting there and it hit me. Yoi don't have a Magnolia, Morgan. You have a Westville. Can you say Westville? Then I got to laughing...and laughing...

As for $25. I HAUNT craigslist. When someone has a kit listed FOREVER, I write and ask if they would consider me if they lower the price. I've gotten several great deals that way.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

I have a habit of leaving things unfinished so I'm determined to finish my Maggie and soon. I was starting to feel slightly overwhelmed at what's left to do so I'm making a list, somehow it doesn't seem as intimidating when it's not all whirling around in my head. I also bit the bullet and bought a kitchen set, which also came with a dining table, 4 chairs and a wall unit - there's a slight flaw in the wall unit so it was well discounted actually it was as cheap as I can get just a kitchen for! As I've already made a table and chair I can split what doesn't work with my rehab, or I'll just have to buy another house for them to fit into! I finished the floor in the bedroom yesterday, I'd been struggling to find brown card the right size to stick the strips onto - then I had an epiphany that I can just stick them straight on the floor - duh. Next time I'll make sure I know what I'm doing with my floors before assembly.

I can't get pictures to upload today but will keep trying.

Got them to upload but as they're rather big won't paste them here.

I agree. It's hard to not be confused with all the beautiful houses available and out there. I love both the Westville and the Magnolia... and the Vineyard cottage and the Rosedale... and I could go on and on. And I won't forget my NewBerg (though I really think she should have named something else).

Happy New Year everyone!

So my kitchen etc. turned up and I have learnt a valuable lesson, get the measurements and make a mock up first to see if they'll work. The kitchen units and oven look HUGE and the table and chairs look tiny/short. I think the kitchen units and oven will work in my rehab, not sure about the table but the chairs are maybe ok proportionally. Looks like I may be making my units after all which I'm quite happy with I was just trying to cross jobs off my to do list, I'll focus on finishing her shell then make my units etc.

gallery_42207_6460_51109.jpggallery_42207_6460_4911.jpggallery_42207_6460_33363.jpg

Once again I got my daughters Fisher and Price Mum out to check out the practicalities (I better be careful or she'll think she's moving in) and as you can see this table just isn't usable.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the world's greatest husband! After hours of looking at the staircase in my Magnolia I decided it doesn't fit with a Bach so he built me a new one - though he did say "this mini stuff takes longer and is harder than real life building" he even sanded all the treads and risers as he went. Of course I'd glued the staircase that came with the Magnolia together so he couldn't use any of that. It looks great and I'm super happy with it :)

This was even more special to me as I have abdominal adhesions (again) so am unable to do much except lie around in comfortable positions while I go through the different tests, medications etc before they'll operate (usually a 3 month time frame) and have been frustrated at not being able to move forward much on the build. If anyone has any tips on how to work lying down please send them my way. Meanwhile I'll keep reminding myself that little bits get the job done!

What a sweet guy , that is great. :bear: So sorry you're laid up and hope you get to feeling better soon . I'm trying to think of what you could work on lying down , maybe you could make some curtains or furniture kits ? I'm sure someone will have some more ideas :D Like you said , a little at a time . :)

• Like 1

He sure is sweet Stacey :). Hmmm will have to think on those, problem is more often or not it's lying rather weirdly on one side.

Holly I've been trying to teach myself to crochet thanks to my beautiful daughter who bought me a learn to crochet magazine which came with yarn, hook etc for Christmas and I'm getting there but not sure I can do it lying down yet ... as for knitting well I think I missed that gene - many have tried to teach me to no avail.Tat? I have to plead ignorance as to what this is. Cross stitch is a good idea I'll go through my stash later and see what i can create - thank you :) .

I taught myself to tat with the bobbin from a magazine, but I haven't yet learned how to do it with a needle yet. I learned to crochet from my mother, I learned needlepoint and embroidery from her mother, and the rest I've taught myself.

• Like 1