My restoration project, Hofco Southern Dynasty

Acp

I've never seen a house design like yours! Its very unusual. Ewwww my poor hands can't do teeny tiny hardward screws....I end up gluing doorknobs and hinges on which isn't the best way but I can't do the tiny screws and nails. What kind of bricks are you waiting for? I make all my own brick and stone from cardboard egg cartons......VERY tedious! :)

Hi Roxy,

Yes, it's a bit unusual, It's a Hofco house from the 80's. Their victorian and farmhouse designs were much more popular than this one. But that's okay it makes mine more unique!

I use real little bricks and mortar. Oh my it's quite a bit of work but I like the results. I think having the foundation finished will add alot to the exterior.

-Angela

I had the devil's own time chipping those little unmortered bricks off of the Pierce's chimney; I shall have to make new chimney parts to replace it, but at least I can use the old ones for patterns. They definitely add the weight; I think I'll stick with my sandpaper for brickwork.

Its a shame so many dollhouse companies are out of business. I was researching online and back in the 70's and 80's there were quite a few. Most of my old dollhouse stores are closed now also.
That house is gorgeous and worth taking your time with the brick and details. I know it will be beautiful!

I use to go to Vermont to a beautiful dollhouse store. I would spend so much time just looking at all the incredible displays they had set up in the store. I don't remember exactly where it was but it was a Saturday trip over from NY State a short ways that I use to look forward to. I bought a lot of furniture kits from that store. Its nice to just go into a brick and mortar store and look at the things instead of on the internet in pictures. I suppose it just doesn't pay that well to have a specialized store like that now. Its a shame.

I remember using a copy of Dollhouse Miniatures to look for a dh store in VT; the day we drove there it happened to be one of the days it was closed (nothing about THAT in the DHM listing). Another trip we spent most of a day in Barre trying to find RGT; we finally did; it was an office and one of the clerks handed me a list of dh shops; there were two listed on our route back to the camper; both of them were long gone.

I can't remember where the VT dollhouse shop was but I do remember visiting the Jelly Belly Factory!!! I would have loved to see the RGT shop also.
I lived in upstate NY most of my life and only found out when I moved that I was only about a half hour from Greenleaf!!! Go figure!

I didn't know you could visit the Jelly Belly factory. Oh my goodness, I bet it is wonderful.

I am a very hands on type person and I tend to be disapointed when something isn't exactly the way I imagined it. When looking atthings online i'm always afraid they won't live up to my expectations. It also seems hard to match things up and judge quality.

On a brighter note my bricks should finally be here Friday and I ordered rockres and topiaries for the first floor porch. oh and it is joyous to come home from work to packages!

When we met Tracy Topp we noticed that the Jelly Belly factory was on the way; so another day we went. There was a tour and one of the most wonderful things about their gift shop is that you can buy five POUND bags of "Belly Flops", the ones that come at the end of a run and there might be mixed flavors or colors or really wierd shapes, but they still taste wonderful!

Ok everybody, I feel as though the outside is shaping up nicely. And maybe this means I can move to the interior. I've been working on removing the wallpaper backing. It's tedious work and no fun! So my question is... Where do I start next? Do you usually work one room at a time? Or all walls floors and molding throughout the entire house? Hmmm. Not sure what to jump into next. Help please!!!!

ok, so I am trying to knock out the walls of my house for easier working. I think that some type of wood glue was used to affix them into the house, no nails. I tried heating with the hair dryer and then gently tapping with my hammer but not even a budge occurred. Any suggestions? Help would be much appreciated!

I have a kitchen knife that the tip broke off of I use to get in between and under things to pry with . I would love to have some of the glue they used to put these older houses together with , geez , it sure makes it hard to tear stuff apart.

Seriously- my last reno I swear used construction adhesive on the flooring!

anywho... I usually start my interiors by removing wallpaper and flooring, then repairing nicks in the walls, & floors and give the interior a good sanding with my hubby's Dremel .

At this point is when I start making wallpaper and flooring choices so I know what paint & stain colors I will need for each room.

If I am staining floors, I cover them up before painting the interior with Kilz primer.

Next I stain and varnish floors.

Once the floors are in I do all of the wallpapering...and then all of the mouldings. I just prefer to do it that way, rather than focusing on one room at a time. I guess I just like feeling like I've made some overall progress. :)

This is a great house! Looking forward to seeing your progress!