greetings from rural manitoba

me-barbie

Just stumbled on this site, but am delighted, since I have The Orchid waiting to be buit this winter (winter in manitoba tends to be very long and very cold). I am not new to the world of minis, but have never built out of wood before! My previous meduim of choice tended to be kleenx boxes. And after 40 yrz of immunity, I have succeeded in infecting my sister with the mini-bug....

• Like 1

Welcome to the little family, Barbara. The Orchid went pretty fast for me, but I made my first one into a General Store and made all the furniture, bath fixtures, stock, fixtures and shopkeeper & family, finishing it off with a wee shrine to Ganesh. I still don't think it took as long as one of your winters, though!

You can't just click on my name and see only my entries any longer; I guess that function vanished in one of the last "updates", but I go into sometimes excruciating detail here in the team Orchid blog.

Welcome to the fun,Barbara! I have an Orchid kit waiting in line to do some day,so I can't wait to see yours! There are tons of examples on the forum here and all over the internet that are so much fun to look at to get ideas! So,have you talked your sis into getting a dollhouse kit yet? The more,the merrier! :D

Yes, she has the orchid as well. And she is cursing me cause she saw the haunted dollhouse (she does love halloween). That is actually how I hooked her in...showed her a ghost mini doll last year. Up until then, she had no interest!

• Like 1

Oh,what fun! I wish that I could get my sister to join me!I don't have a specific link,but you probably already know you'll find several Halloween and haunted houses on the net done with Orchids,as well as lots of other house kits. I'm doing a Dura-Craft Ashley (Not haunted) and have even run across some fun haunted/Halloween houses done with this humble little kit. It's a fun genre (right word?) for our hobby,I think! Can't wait to see y'all in action! :)

Back when Twinkle was much younger she made a Halloween house out of one of those puzzle houses. There are several pics there in the Grandkids folder.

She has changed it quite a lot now. Each year she fixes it up a little different as she has gotten better at miniature building. Unfortunately I don't have any current pics. When we get it out this year, I'll try to remember to snap a couple new ones. She has added lights and glow in the dark paint and some other do-dads. We put it outside on the porch last year all lit up for the little kids to see when they came trick or treating. They were all fascinated with it.

We don't have heat during our "winter" months; although considering you're in Manitoba, I guess 50s is still relatively warm! We spent four and a half years in southern OH and its "lake effect" snowstorms every winter, and after the bad snowstorm we endured in December, 1978, I promised God that if He'd move us home to Florida I'd never complain about the heat! The following year found us living in Jacksonville, FL.

...trying to convert F to C....No, 50 is in the mid teens, right? That is light jacket weather. :D Many many years ago, I was briefly engaged. We were driving to work on a cold morning, and listening to the radio out of Brandon MB (I was in North Dakota at the time). The temperature was announced as -40, -45 with the wind chill. My then partner looked at me and asked what that was in F. I looked back at him and said "-40......" :borg:

The climate of PA is quite similar to Southern Ontario. Where were you? My da is from Six Nations, near Brantford.

50 F = 10 C

A quick trick for conversion is when going from C to F, double it and add 30. So (10 C x 2) +30 = 20 +30 = 50 F

From F to C, go the other way. Subtract 30, then divide by 2. So 50F - 30 = 20/2 = 10 C

It's an approximation but close enough to let you know whether you need to wear shorts or a down parka. :D

Barbara, I am in Seminole, Alabama, which is 20 miles from the Gulf of Mexico and less than a mile from the Florida State Line (except by road it's closer to 3 miles...). We joke that we live in extremely suburban Pensacola.

Barbara, I am in Seminole, Alabama, which is 20 miles from the Gulf of Mexico and less than a mile from the Florida State Line (except by road it's closer to 3 miles...). We joke that we live in extremely suburban Pensacola.

I was born and raised in Pensacola, FL to a Canadian father and Alabamian mother. What a small world!

My mother and her side are still mostly in Pensacola, though a few have moved to Mobile, AL. I have a dual citizenship and moved up to Canada to finish my university studies and now I'm engaged to a Canadian man so I suppose I'll be up here for a while. :) I still visit my mom in Pensacola several times a year though!

Melissa,

Where Holly is on the extreme East border of Alabama,I live on the far West border,the last town on Highway 90 into Mississippi,in Mobile county. I was raised by 2 Alabamians,but most of my childhood was out West. Are you planning your wedding soon?( I'm just nosey!)