Converting the "Orchid" to front-opening?

me-barbie

I still have my kit in the box, although my sister has built hers! I find the gables and little porch so charming, I really want to make the house a front-opening build (also protects from dust). I noted the wood is very thin indeed, so I guess I would have to glue small hinges on.

But first: Is it even possible to convert this little house to front opening?

Thanks!

I just took a hard look at one of my Orchids. I think it would be nearly impossible for the front wall and front roof sections to be hinged as a single unit as the roof section is quite bulky and even a piano hinge would not be adequate to support the weight.

One way you could accomplish this might be to make the front part of the roof (with gables) removable and hinge one side of the front wall.so it can swing open.

The front wall can be hinged along one side so it opens with the porch attached; but the roof overhangs the top of that wall, so you might also hinge the roof along its peak so it lifts up, gables & all; if you glue thing in place inside whatever you use the big gable for they won't go flying; but you wouldn't be able to access in there (unless you want to try hinging that, as well). It would make an interesting experiment. It might be easier to make the sides open, instead. You could use narrow piano hinges and cut them into the lengths you'd need and glue them on.

This could work for the Orchid if you give up hinging and plan to remove the whole front for viewing. It appears you have options, Barbara. Do let us see how your bash progresses!

• Like 1

So instead of glued on weeny teeny hinges, I might be better to glue on weeny teeny hooks and eyes? (dress making term I know, but hopefully you all understand me)

I have never built a wood dollhouse, as a child I used kleenex boxes after my mother THREW OUT my beloved tin dollhouse....

:hmm: You might be able to arrange some channeling at the base to hold the front -- front in this case meaning the front wall and the roof. With the roof lying back against the side walls and the wall being held in place by the channel, gravity might go to work for you. I'd think about gluing a piece of strip wood under the roof to help it keep its position in relation to the walls.

You might not need the hooks and eyes or hinges or velcro.

I would think IF you go with hinges, piano hinges would be the way to go; you'd only need one with fairly narrow wings, and cut it into two pieces; one for the front and one for the roof. I do like Kathie's suggestion, because then you don't have to fool with hinges at all.

What is channeling?

It is a U-shaped channel moulding. See it here. The base of the Orchid is 29" x 10", so you'd need roughly 5 feet of channel to do the entire base for a finished look.

Three pieces of the #7067 would do the trick, but you might want to get the 12-piece pack (#7067X), as it is also very nice for finishing off the rough exposed edges of floors and walls in this and future builds.

They also make a narrower channel than the ones at Ernie's Hobby Builders Supply. I bought that one first and found it was too wide for the thin plexi that I had purchased for my "glass". I had to get a narrower one. The smaller one still fits over the GL plywood but it's a very snug fit. I got this one from Manchester Woodworks. They have a great selection of mini wood products and they ship quite quickly. I'm sure there are many other places to get it out there. I'm not advertising.

HBS also has 3/8" channel, which would be a more snug fit. I like the 1/4" for capping floors, as it accommodates the thickness of added flooring or carpet. You can't have too many options in your supply drawer!

• Like 1

I rather like the magnet idea....and I have conned my neighbour (a carpenter) into cutting the new flat back and roof piece for me....once I get the wood that is.

Now, where would I get my paws on magnets that would do the job? Goodness, I do not remember all these options when I was a kid making houses out of boxes....

Barbara, Google "sheet magnets for crafting" -- you'll see many options. They can be cut with scissors or a utility knife. Easy to work with. Some have adhesive backing. I think the sheet magnets would work better than button magnets as the removable part will fit nearly flush with the body of the house.

Just a thought...if the whole reason you want a front opening is so that you can display it forwards yet still access the inside, have you considered getting a turntable? They are relatively inexpensive either to make or to buy and would be a lot easier than converting that particular kit. Also, if you're talking about methods where the entire front is removed instead of hinged, I would be worried about accidents happening to the front while it's removed.

Now if the point is that you just really want a front opening dollhouse, then these ladies and gents have some great suggestions!

• 4 months later...

Well, I have given up on making it front opening. The wood is not only too thin...but to be perfectly honest, I cannot make head or tails of the destructions, so I can't even figure out how to BUILD the darn thing....my brain just does not comprehend how it goes together. :dunce:

Considering that there are two front-opening Greenleaf kits (the Gloucester and the Cheltenham) made from 1/8" plywood, the wood isn't too thin. The house is not designed to be front-opening, so you would need to spend some time with it in dry fit to figure out a way to do it (dry fitting would also help with figuring out the instructions). There are two Team Orchid building blogs to help with the instructions. If you're still having difficulties, it's probably a good idea to set it aside for a while and focus on something that doesn't require quite so much attention.