back!

dooder85

Hi miniature friends!

I'm back in the game after a whirlwind purchase of a new house and the resulting renovations. I have to tell you, flooring and baseboards are not nearly as much fun in a full size house as they are in 1:12 scale.

My winter project is an overhaul of my glencroft to repair the kitty damage to the wiring, as well as a shiny new Newberg that I scored in still-in-box for 20$ at a yard sale - I need some ideas on this, I'm not very good at the victorian thing.

• Like 1

Welcome back, Aaron! Congrats on the new house. Hopefully it is dollhouse friendly :)

I have two suggestions for you. First, google all the forms of Victorian house terms you can think of, such as 'victorian cottage', 'victorian trim' followed by images and get a gazillion pictures for inspiration. I use 'storybook' & 'whimsical' as keywords and get great dollhouse looks for my taste. You might also google specific victorian style neighborhoods for ideas. For example, 'Newberg, Oregon', as in The Newberg by Duracraft. They have wonderful inspiration everywhere.

Good luck with your great find!

Morgan

• 2 weeks later...

well now i'm remembering why i loved this forum, look at all the love :) I now have a bit of a sophie's choice however - while in Medicine Hat I managed to find a Magnolia kit for 10 bucks... which to build first!

Oh, Aaron, not Sophie's choice at all. You will have both, dear heart, in the fullness of time.

The pictures of your real life house are magnificent! What great finishes on the floors and counters. And so glad you didn't get into a lot of problems with the asbestos. That's nasty stuff!

lol well due to space constraints I decided to dryfit the newberg. A couple of things I've noticed on this kit - there seems to be a lot of "dead space" on the walls, I know this is for the decorative squares.. but i don't really like the decorative squares lol. I'm toying with the idea of making window frames out of clay, has anyone tried this? It's the only way i can see making true victorian style windows without taking up carving.

I've considered stone, brick, stucco, and siding for the exterior - I can really only see siding working with the shape of the house. Although it could almost go tudor the little bookshelves on the second floor don't lend themselves to tudor at all. I don't see many of this kit built online, it doesn't seem very common.

I've seen window frames done with paper clay, polyclay and piped joint compound, so why not go for it? Also, I think it was someone here who made closets out of some waste space inside. I have that kit still in its box.

I've seen window frames done with paper clay, polyclay and piped joint compound, so why not go for it? Also, I think it was someone here who made closets out of some waste space inside. I have that kit still in its box.