Taking craft gear on the road

abloom

Now,that's a strong box! This is off topic,but I wish you'd post a photo of your draft horse,Gloria. The neighbor behind me at my former home had a couple of draft horses and some others. I loved to watch them at play-magnificent animals!!

Debora, I did know that the villages are quarter scale, but they seemed less intimidating because if I view each little house separately it would be a smaller project. Ha, laughing at myself, duh! Seriously, I guess for a miniaturist, the smaller the scale, the greater the charm, and it sure would make it easier to carry my projects around. But I've had trouble with my hands, too, and I also juggle different combinations of contacts, reading glasses, and magnifier just to see what I'm doing in 1:12 scale. Also, I love all the little accessories that have to be purchased, at least for me, because I can't make glassware, porcelain, or metal objects, and I don't see much of that kind of thing in the smaller scales. Still, I'll probably give a half-scale house a try once I'm on the road. I won't be going anywhere for awhile yet, but I'm having a lot of fun making these plans. Thank you for helping me with them!

Gloria, I would also love to see a picture of your draft horse that couldn't destroy the Plano box. It's not totally off-topic - horses travel, right? Lol!

.... But I've had trouble with my hands, too, and I also juggle different combinations of contacts, reading glasses, and magnifier just to see what I'm doing in 1:12 scale.

Isn't it just so much "fun" dealing with our slowly breaking down bodies? I get so frustrated between the arthritis and the vision issues, that some days I feel like quitting all my hobbies but thankfully my artistic self always wins out and I push on through the pain and dilemmas that my body creates for me.

... I love all the little accessories that have to be purchased, at least for me, because I can't make glassware, porcelain, or metal objects, and I don't see much of that kind of thing in the smaller scales. Still, I'll probably give a half-scale house a try once I'm on the road....

Andrea, I think you'll fall in love with half scale! I sure did! You can get glass, metal, and porcelain items in half scale and sometimes you'll find one inch scale items that work in half scale settings. I bought a glass one inch scale perfume bottle that is a perfect decanter in half scale :)

There are lots of furniture kits in half scale and even Bespac, JBM, and the other famous makers. Of course, it seems like you can find almost anything in one inch scale, but (for me) part of the fun and challenge is the hunt. There are also lots of supplies and accessories for quarter scale. Sometimes I'm really surprised at how much variety there is available for that scale.

Isn't it just so much "fun" dealing with our slowly breaking down bodies? I get so frustrated between the arthritis and the vision issues, that some days I feel like quitting all my hobbies but thankfully my artistic self always wins out and I push on through the pain and dilemmas that my body creates for me.

The last thing I'll quit are my hobbies! They are the things that keep me sane. Especially this one! :yes:

I couldn't stand it. I went in and counted my Plano boxes. I found 37 of the largest flat ones with dividers. That's not counting the smaller ones.... I am thinking that, maybe I should consider cutting down on the hobbies.... Nope! That would never work! There is always something new and interesting to try. The boxes are a lifesaver. I'm keeping them all!

Forgot to say, I don't own any of the tackle box kind... I feel very virtuous. I dispensed with the two that I had when I found the ones I use now. And, yes. I need every one of thoses boxes. They are what keep me sane. With those and a Nymo label maker, I know exactly where to find what I need at a moments notice. Miniatures in three scales, beadwork, embroidery floss and other small items are where they belong.

• Like 1

Selkie, yes, doing miniature work with painful hands and weakening vision is just proof of how passionate we are about creating our tiny worlds. Not doing it just isn't an option.

Debora, you've inspired me! I do love the hunt for the perfect little thing that I know is out there, and half-scale houses look even more enchanting than the one-inch ones. I'm definitely planning to try one when I hit the road!

• Like 1

Debora, you've inspired me! I do love the hunt for the perfect little thing that I know is out there, and half-scale houses look even more enchanting than the one-inch ones. I'm definitely planning to try one when I hit the road!

One warning about half scale: They are soooooo addictive! I have the White Rose currently under construction, and drawings and plans sketched out for the lighthouse. I was in 3B (Bed, Bath and Beyond) the other day looking at TV trays (or whatever they're called now) because one would make the perfect sized folding work table for half scale projects. I'm constantly thinking about my half scale houses and plans; it's hard to focus any time on the one inch projects!

So beware! Half scale houses really are like potato chips....you can't have just one! BwaHaHa! :lol:

• Like 1