Ceiling lighting installation

clynn

Can I ask a newbie lighting question? I plan on tape wiring and putting in some ceiling lights as well as some plugs for table lamps and some wall sconces.

I'm assuming that I can't fully wire the ceiling fixtures until my roof is fully affixed, right? So will I have to completely assemble and then begin the wiring process? I was hoping to keep the roof off for awhile to give me extra room for interior work (flooring, wall decor, furniture builds) but I can't seem to figure out a way to do it and not have it fully wired for lighting first.

Am I correct in my line of thinking?

• Like 1

For ceiling lights, you can run the tape across the floor above, then drill a couple small holes in the ceiling/floor to pull the wires through to reach the tape. The wiring can be covered by the flooring or rug. Seems to me it would be easier to do without the roof in place.

I don't understand why you think the roof should be on first. Can you clarify?

You can do your table lamps and sconces in the floor and walls of the first floor BEFORE you add the second floor. Add the second floor and do the ceiling fixtures for the first floor. Continue in this fashion floor by floor until you're finished. The roof should be the last thing to go on.

Christiane,so are you asking about wiring a light fixture that would be in the ceiling of your single story build which would actually be the underside of the roof,once it-the roof-is in place,is that right?Just trying to get it clear....

I figured that was what you meant,Christiane,but since I have no experience at wiring and lights,that's as far as MY help goes! I tried to see if there's anything specific in the archives-no luck so far,so hopefully someone will pop on soon who is experienced. I want to get the answer,too,for future referrence. :)

Well, you can definitely put down the tape while the ceiling is off, and then wait to add the light until the ceiling is on. You'll just have to plan ahead to make sure you put the tape where you need it. For example - run the tape on the walls and floor and leave a long tail at the top of the wall, and then once your ceiling is on you can attach the tail to the ceiling. (Or maybe you don't even need tape on the ceiling, you can run the wire along the ceiling and attach it to the tape somewhere else?) What you want to do is totally doable, you just need to think ahead and plan it out.

Recently I had to replace a ceiling light and the floor above was already finished. I made a false ceiling, inserted the wire through that, and then ran it down the wall to reach the tape. This requires doing the wallpaper after you've done the ceiling light, but if you wanted to do wallpaper first you could run the wire down a corner and cover it with trim, or maybe you can come up with another solution.

Here are some pictures of my false ceiling: http://www.emilymorganti.com/blog/?p=5654

For this house, I have most of my wires running down the walls (behind wallpaper) to the underside of the house, where I connected them to the tape. I did this because I wanted access to the connections in case any need to be fixed later.

• Like 1