Making Orchid gable flush with upstairs floor - 2 ways

abloom

The Orchid has that lovely big gable over the porch that makes a great window seat or bed nook. But the floor of the gable area is higher than the rest of the upstairs floor, and I wanted it level so I could place a bed with the head inside the gable and the foot extending out into the bedroom. I mentioned it in my photo album and a couple of people said they had the same idea and were thinking about how to do it. I figured out a way to do it by building a simple platform to raise the floor in the rest of the room to the height of the gable floor. But then I realized that, because of changes I had made to the exterior of the porch, the house would look better if I lowered the porch roof (the gable floor) to the height of the upstairs floor, and that would solve my bedroom floor problem, too. I already had the platform almost done when I changed my mind and did it the other way, lowering the gable floor. I'm sure this has been done before, but I haven't found anything about it here, so if anyone would like to see the two methods I came up with, I've posted pictures in an album, "Making Orchid Gable Level With Floor, 2 Ways."

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?app=gallery&album=6386

• Like 1

Andrea,this looks great! I know it was alot of extra work,but it paid off! I've searched Orchid builds here and around the net until my eyeballs are falling out,because I enjoy seeing all the different ways to interpret the kit, (Alot of cool ones right here!) but I haven't seen a solution/bash to the elevated gable floor like this anywhere either. And what I like is that even with your original and fantastic interpretation of it,your Orchid still has the original charm we Orchid lovers fall for! Bravo!

Wow. I love this idea of making it flush on the upstairs floor. I have an Orchid and while the alcove was "cute", it felt like wasted space to me. I may tear mine apart and try this. It makes so much more sense for furniture and room placement. Thanks for the tutorial.

Gina,Just caught something when I peeked at your gallery profile to see your Orchid-It's your Birthday today! Happy Happy!! :yay:

Andrea,I can't wait to see how you furnish your house now- Everything you've done so far has been so creative and intriguing!