Orchid Dollhouse build begun

Well I've finally started my build of "The Orchid" dollhouse. I haven't really gotten very far yet. So far I've spent time removing all of the die cut pieces and labeling and bagging them (I sanded both sides of the diecut sheets first). Today I spent several hours sanding the edges of every part and will hopefully begin assembly this evening. More updates with pictures to come.

Shawn, if some of the edges that will show (window frames, roof trim, etc.) are particularly rough, you can smooth on a bit of Spackle or wall board mud/joint compound to fill in the tiny hollows. Smooth with your fingertip dampened with a touch of water. I've found it works better than wood putty for these tiny pieces. A quick lick with an emery board when it's completely dry finishes the job and it's ready for painting.

This won't work on bits you might want to stain, but for the painted pieces, it gives a smooth, craftsmanlike finish.

Shawn,didn't you say you have experience doing plastic and wood models? Looks like we are going to learn alot of good stuff from you as well as anything you learn here. :) Looking forward to seeing what colors and interior set-up you come up with,especially placement of the divider walls. Hope you had a chance to browse around at the galleries,just for fun. Everyone seems to come up with something so unique with each Orchid build! Looking fwd to the pix!

I used to remove and label all the kit pieces when I first began to build dh kits. After having not a few of the wee ones sprout legs and escape I wait until I need them to remove them as I dry fit. I hope you have better luck with the "stainable" wood putty that I did... I finally gave it us and make my own.

• Like 1

Be sure you check out the Gallery for "Abloom"/Andrea's recent Orchid bash.Pretty cool!

Whoops,I meant abloom is Andrea's profile name.Love it,though!

Edited by kat57
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Be careful painting places you want to glue! I like to paint pieces before I assemble and I can't tell you

How many times this gets me into trouble with glue not holding! I know you know this but I never learn apparently

• Like 1

Shawn,Just be sure you read and heed the Orchid blogs and other Orchid builders' advice;I haven't started my Orchid yet,but I think it may be a bit difficult to paper the dormers after fully assembling-if you go with papering,that is. I'm doing a smaller,unrelated house with dormers that I spackle-stuccoed rather than fight papering the dormer corners and such,because I was forewarned by a forum member,but then I'm a bit of a chicken still! :) Anxious to see your progress.

Shawn, if you wait to attach the roof after you have finished decorating the inside, I have built more than one Orchid and decorated my first one twice after it was together. Easy-peasy! with the roof off.

I've cut some different wall paper patterns already for the difficult areas so there shouldn't be much of a problem slipping them in and gluing...or so I hope and thanks for the tip to leave the roof off until later.

That's one of the hints I read in the archives just today-to fit and precut the paper or patterns for the dormers-presumably on the dry fit. I wasn't knowledgable or practical enough to do that with my Ashley at the time,but that's what's great about watching and learning from others' builds now,so we get it right the next time! Do you know yet if you're going to use the interior walls/partitions or have a more open floor plan?

That bathroom is what I can't wait to tackle! Instead of trying to squeeze a full tub into that space,I want to put in a shower stall. I've seen one done in an Orchid,by somebody on the forum,so I know it's possible...And there's lots of creative ways to install the stairs,besides the original plans,unless you decide to leave them out.

Yes, I've seen a couple with lovely spiral stairs using the plastic fan blades!-didn't you suggest that one,Holly-? I need to go back and figure out who it was,but there's one that has a shelf unit or entertainment center built into the stairs. Very modern looking! Also, I believe KathieB made a cool stone or brick stairway in one of hers-was it a Christmas elf house? I've looked at so many Orchids here they are blending together!Here I go again...