How to adapt a one-wire custom built lighting fixture?

bigorangecat

I went to an estate sale earlier this summer of a gentleman who built custom dollhouse lighting.

I found this wonderful Victorian ceiling fan with four tulip lamp fixtures and a central globe light, and bought it for $7.

But when I got it home, I discovered it only has one insulated wire coming out of it (with four copper wires inside).

Being a little rusty on my dollhouse wiring skills, I'm not sure how or if there is any way to adapt this to a standard electrical system.

Anyone have any ideas?

Many thanks for your help.

post-40279-0-52007600-1376952553_thumb.j

That's a beautiful light! And what a wonderful deal you got, even if you used it without wiring it. Since electricity is voodoo to me (I've ordered some battery lights) someone else will have to share their expertise. There are several members who understand lighting and the issues with wiring who should be weighing in soon. Good luck with it.

• Like 1

The other wire has broken off! Electricity requires two wires, one to take the little electrons to the device and one to return them back to the original source, weather a plug or battery. To make the light work you (or someone) will have to locate where the wire was connected and add a new one. That's the reason it only cost $7 BTW! Good luck. If you can get a decent picture of the "insides" I'm sure I or someone here might be able to help figuring out where the wire was connected.

• Like 1

Ah, thanks, that was what I was suspecting. The construction of this fan light is very solid -- brass pieces. Fortunately (or unfortunately) it has an inexplicably LONG brass housing for the wire(s), so I think if I do some careful cutting, I might be able to find the other wire piece. Let me see how that goes and I'll let you know. :)

Cutting would be my last option, not my first. Can you unscrew it, wiggle it apart, unsolder it, etc. Put it under a good magnification and see what you can find. Keep us posted please, it is a beautiful fan weather it works or not!