If floors already painted white, how to make look stained wood?

pupa

Sanding is not likely to get enough of the paint off to take stain well. You'll end up with blotches.

You might try using acrylic/craft paint to do a faux finish and then give it several coats of clear polyurethane for that highly polished look. I Googled "faux wood finish" and came up with numerous how-to sites. They are working in real size but there's no reason you can't duplicate it in scale.

I think the only option other than paint is to put in a new floor. Check the stain samples at the hardware or paint store to find the shade you like. It's hard to recommend a color here as no two monitors show exactly the same color.

The paint is not a bad thing. You can use Minwax Express (waterbased stain) to create a faux-wood floor finish--this technique actually requires you to paint the floor a neutral color first. There is an excellent youtube tutorial. Search "faux-wood floor on MDF." Even if your floor is plywood this would work with amazing results. The RGT website also has a link to the tutorial under tips and techniques for the Victoria's Farmhouse.

I would also suggest sanding and faux painting the floor to look like wood. The wood veneer strips work a whole lot better on a preassembled floor because getting that iron inside a built room to iron down the veneer just ain't happening! When I dry fit I do a lot of tracing with a pencil not only to mask off areas I'll want to glue, but other areas I won't want to paint or do other treatments to. The method that works a whiz for already built rooms is to make a paper pattern and a cardstock template and paint and lay the floor on that. then lay that in the house. If the house is electrified, this is a way to do upstairs floors over ceiling light fixtures, for possible later trouble shooting.

So couldn't the veneer could be stained and low temp ironed to a faux floor-template and then that layered on top of the already installed floor? Then you'd have a realistic and pretty wood floor,similar to the floors in the photo...

Uh, Kat, laying the veneer floor on a cardstock template was what I described in the second half of my post. You'd still have to use the high setting recommended on the iron to melt the glue on the veneer.If you use the tiniest beads of glue to position the strips there shouldn't be enough seepage to interfere with the stain (it's how I did the 1:24 floor in La Casita); but if I were to stain the strips before laying them, I'd do it after cutting them into mini boards, to get stain onto the cut sides and ends.

In my headlong enthusiasm to put the house together when I built the half scale Diana, I ended up having to finish the interior after I'd glued the house together (it was a learning experience in patience and advance planning). :lol:

Anyway, I used the iron on veneer strips. First, i made a template of the floors for each room out of card stock. I ironed the veneer strips to a sheet of newsprint (unprinted) as a carrier. After it cooled and was flat (from residing under a stack of books while it cooled) I then used the template to trace the pattern and cut out the floors from what was now a veneer sheet. I then glued down the floor inside the house and added baseboard trim.

Hint: label your template top and bottom. I cut out two rooms upside down before I realized my mistake! :Dpost-15386-0-00334600-1376756737_thumb.j

• Like 1

Thank you. This is a rehab with everything already installed, trying to get behind the stairs and other nooks is a bear. What thickness card stock do you recommend? Also wondering if scoring and staining basswood or staining and laying basswood would work...

• Like 1

Thank you. This is a rehab with everything already installed, trying to get behind the stairs and other nooks is a bear. What thickness card stock do you recommend? Also wondering if scoring and staining basswood or staining and laying basswood would work...

Any stiff cardstock; posterboard or gift box. I scrore/ scribe directly onto the kit plywood and stain, and basswood has a lovely in-scale grain.

Ooh,thanx for the link,Perry. My local Lowe's only had one or two kinds last I noticed-not sure of wood type-and I'll probably use veneer to do my Ashley #2 floors. Storing away all the great info I can come across! Yvette,I don't envy you having to get around the stairs,but I can't wait to see how it turns out! :)