Walmer french victorian

cindyg

Hi, My name is Cindy, and about a year ago, I bought a dollhouse that the lady around the block had sitting in her driveway. I've always wanted a dollhouse, but never had one, so my first dollhouse ever, and I have decorated it, and wallpapered it, and put shingles on the roof, so my times in my mind. I can't wait to get started. I have an electricity lighting kit, but I have to paint some first. Anyway, I looked all over the internet to find a dollhouse like mine, and there was only one online that looked like mine. I emailed that owner, and it turns out that I have a walmer French Victorian, and it's one of only four made. How cool is that! But I still have some years to work before I can really get down to fixing it up. Its in my living room now, and I dream about fixing it up, sometimes I despair of ever having the money and the time to do what I want to do. But oh well, I am now a dollhouse owner, and it's pretty cool.. I'll try to get a picture up if I can.. Thanks :banana:

• Like 2

HI Cindy, Welcome to the forum! I am not familiar with your particular dollhouse,but a quick Search (upper right corner of the page) shows there have been a few owners of them in our group here. Someone will be along who knows more about them,I guarantee you! Meanwhile,I know what you mean about all the decorating and wallpapering and everything that you have done in your mind (Had to figure out that typo!lol) There's a great bunch of dollhouse lovers here who will be able to help you with just about every question or technique or worry or flat out crazy,joyous moment of elation about your dollhouse that you want to share!! Glad you decided to join us! Kat

Hi Cindy and welcome :)

I'm fairly new here, too, and the members are so very helpful and kind and welcoming.

I googled your house and found some photos and it is a lovely house, so many rooms to play with :)

It also came up in Google that a member here has one "Bojangles". I have seen posts from her recently (the name stuck in my mind) so it will be nice for you to have someone with the same house here.

I'm in Australia (Melbourne) and I'm at the painting stage of my large house. It was a custom made house by a chap here who builds them to whatever specifications you want. I wish now I had waited and practiced a little because there are quite a few things I would have asked for.

Doesn't matter because I doubt it will be my last one LOL. This hobby is so addictive.

I'm amazed at you finding your house where you did ... what a lucky day for you when you saw that sitting in a driveway.

Hi Cindy,

What a lovely house, I was going to say little but with ? 12 rooms, not so little!

Welcome to the site, i like jeannie m also new to the site but have found it excellent with lots of valuable information and advice. members are helpfoll and very keen to seee what you are creating.

I have spent so many sleepless nights dreaming of how I am going to build and fit out my Orchid.

The hobby is VERY addictive and it can be reasonably inexpensive. I don't think that I have spent more than fifty dollars and that includes the Kit buy as well. If you are a crafty person you will find a LOT of items can be repurposed to suit your house. I have drawn on a lot of my various interests to get to where I am now and still have quite a way to go but do not feel that I have to go out and buy to achieve the look I want.

I look foward to seeing your house and the progress you make.

• Like 1

Hi everybody, Nice to meet you all. I'm so excited that you all are answering me so quickly. You know, it is something of a miracle that I saw this and that I actually got it and brought it home. I really do love it. I think that I must have lived in a house like this in a previous life, LOL, whatever, but I found the pics of when I first brought it home. Since then I have taken down the wallpaper, and the lights, and saved them all, cleaned the house, bought a wiring kit, I have a bathroom, ironing board, sewing machine, and really can't wait to get started on the kitchen, I have a great stove picked out.! Let me try to upload these pictures.

Hi Cindy, and welcome to the forum! Respond to this post, and do another response to someone else's post, and you'll have the five you need to start your gallery. Looking forward to your photos and progress!

OK, Here's another post! I can't wait to do the staircases, I want to put red oriental runners on them. And I have the stuff for my entry hall picked out also. I want to put siding on the outside, and slate shingles on the roof! Maybe a stained glass window on my new (don't have yet) front doors.

• Like 2

I trace around the opening to make a pattern. Since I hinge with chamois strips I make at least two layers.

For the Pierce I divided the traced opening into two sidelights and two doors by drawing vertical lines; measuring from side to side, I made the sidelights half the width of the two doors. I printed off the design I was going to reproduce in "stained glass" (painted onto clear acrylic) and made a pattern for the door cutout from is, and after I traced around the pattern onto two pieces of 1/8" basswood I then placed and traced around my cutouts for the stained glass inserts in the doors and in the sidelights. Then I used my utility knife to cut out the cutouts, then I cut away the sidelights and then I cut the door panels apart. I painted half the doors and sidelights the exterior color, and the interior set the interior color, and glued the inserts to the wrong side of one set. I then glued the chamois strips to the door panel and sidelight of the other set of door and sidelight pieces. Finally I glued the two sets of sidelight panels together, then the two sets of doors (I kept dry-fitting and refitting as I went along). I then glued on the door hardware and glued the sidelights into place in the door opening.

If you want to make paneled doors you only have to cut one piece for the door (or use the doorway punchouts from the kit) and then glue on your pieces to make the panels. If you use a strip method to hinge, you can glue the strip between the door and the outer trim; and if you pin-hinge, once your strips and panel are glued up and dry you have plenty of thickness to drill pinholes into.

Cindy, if you go to my gallery I also have this house. My guess is you spoke with the same person I initially spoke with in regards to this. I was told the same thing that there were "only four" made. In actuality, after speaking with Lorraine at Walmer(they're still in business, they just don't make dollhouses anymore) I was informed that it was actually one of their most popular models they sold -- and that there were definitely more than four made. lol

I don't know how much work was done on yours, but in mine on the top floor right side room on the ceiling there is still a numbered sticker from the manufacturer at the time. Can't wait to see pictures of your house! :)

Well, it's really nice to see other ones that are like mine. I saw two on facebook. I saw yours in your gallery. Nice. My house has brothers and sisters. I look forward to really getting into this, like everyone else is. It's going to be a long journey!

Hi Kelli, I checked, and my house has been painted, if there was a sticker, there's not now. I saw the picture of your sticker, which was very helpful, because I kept looking for a tiny sticker, but that was a pretty big one. I think I'm going to put a coat of white paint on the house to give me a base, and slowly but surely, start working on it. Have to go to work tonite, but I will continue to think about it. Thanks for all the support/info.