Non-shiny sealant for egg carton brick?

abloom

What do you recommend to seal egg carton brick, stone, etc., that isn't shiny? I tried some matte varnish that claimed to have "virtually no sheen." But when I applied it to painted egg carton brick, it dried very shiny and ruined the rough texture. Thanks for any suggestions!

I use matte varnish from Michael's (I think it's Plaid brand, but not sure) on my egg carton stone and have been happy with it, I don't think it looks shiny. So, not sure if that's the same brand you tried, but if not you might look for it. Otherwise I have Krylon matte sealer in a spray can, which I use on paper (wallpaper, printies, etc.) and it doesn't have a shiny finish, but I'm not sure how well it would work for egg carton bricks.

What I like about the matte varnish is that it gives the egg carton material a hard(ish) coating that makes it stand up over time and also makes the ridges and bumps in the egg carton material stone-like rather than being "hairy" the way they are when the egg carton is raw.

• Like 1

Thanks Emily, I've been wondering about preserving the texture. I use the Krylon matte spray for wallpaper, watercolor, etc., but wondered if it would be sufficient for paperclay or egg carton stone. :)

Emily, the brand I used is Delta Ceramcoat matte interior varnish. The directions say to gently shake the bottle, and maybe I shook it too gently to mix it thoroughly. I should give it another try. But the bricks did come out quite shiny that time. Thanks!

I want to explain why I think it'll work for egg carton and sealing before grouting, but the item I used it on is for the fling so I don't want to give too much away. When I tested pieces which were sealed with it, they did not get damaged when additional moisture was applied. ;)

Brae uses Delta Ceramcoat varnish in her tutorial here. Looks like the texture is well preserved. Then at the end of grouting, she used a matte sealer.

• Like 1