Printable Miniature Books w/ Double Sided Readable Pages

Kinetic_Paper

Hi everyone!

I'm back. I'm not sure if this is the right place, or if this post is appropriate. But I am SO excited about this I can't stand it and wanted to spread the word.

I had the idea of making a website where dollhouses could be made as paper models (furnished and everything), and I'm also including some printable miniatures for regular builders. All of the items are in "digital kit form" and available for instant download.

Anyway, my latest creation is a huge set of printable publications. I've worked out the bugs on how to do ACCURATE double sided printing via a simplification in calibration that works for any printer, and I digitally remastered a bunch of public domain publications. This kit includes 2 books, 4 magazines, 6 comic books, 9 antique maps, 1 atlas, and 4 newspapers). Once constructed, they are able to be read under a magnifying glass, and I include very simple and thorough instructions.

I would love it if anyone interested would go and take a look at the site, and tell me what you think.

Here's the link: KINETIC PAPER ART- Dollhouse Miniature Books w/ READABLE PAGES Digital Kit

And here are a couple images of the finished items.

Books2.jpgBooks1.jpg

So what do you think? A worthwhile project to pursue? Buying ready made items like this individually costs a fortune.

This is certainly an interesting concept.

I had a look at your website and tried to download the sample file, but it says that you must log in and fix an error first.

I haven't gotten to this stage of creating minis yet, as I am still in the building stage of the DH.

And I cannot speak for anyone in the US, but as someone living overseas, it is great to be able to download something without expensive shipping costs. On the other hand, the items themselves may not be to my taste or fit the theme of my current DH.

That said, I have bookmarked dozens of websites with free printables for when I do want to start printing off paper ephemera.

Maybe you could create another downloadable product/instructions: "How to align your own images properly so that you can print them double-sided"? Then you cater for the group of people who have different tastes and ready images, but are stuck with the alignment and calibration issue.

Lastly, when you mention membership, you don't say what the price would be - that would be helpful to know as well.

Good luck!

...Lastly, when you mention membership, you don't say what the price would be - that would be helpful to know as well.

Good luck!

Price info needs to be posted on the website, not here on the forum!

• Like 1

Thank you everyone. I contacted my host and found out the problem is in the zip file containing all of the sample images, making the file very large (195MB).... Unlike the actual product which gives the option of downloading parts as they wish and when they want (their download links do not expire for over a week). On the sample, I don't want it to be a lot of work for anyone to get, hence the initial single zip file.

Anyway, while I am typing this I am currently fixing it by uploading the images to an online album that will display them all at once and let people download or view them in their browser in full size, any or all, and as they wish --- rather than HAVING to download the whole sample zip file to view anything at all. Download attempts for the sample file were so numerous and so fast that it sent my account through the roof. Haha, lesson learned.

I have also put the proposed price of a membership onto the product listing... No I wouldn't put it here. This forum talk is more for criticism and advice from all of you who I know have experience.

Thank you everyone for the input. I have put a disclaimer about the sample set link currently undergoing change, and will also go back in and update the link once the images are all uploaded and it gives me one. It took a while to find a spot that would do it ad-free, which is what I wanted.

Yes I agree that making it digital for instant download is much more efficient.

As the former employee of various print operations, I'm wondering how the two-sided pages will hold up to being bound into facing pages. Just curious, as there are differences in properties between printer's ink, printer ink and copier toner.

• 1 year later...

Just an FYI for those reading this much later than the original posting.

The website is still the same, but the link has changed. It is now:

DOLLHOUSES & MINIS at KINETIC PAPER ART

The dollhouse mini books are there, and there also a lot of new stuff posted. I really appreciate, and am still looking. for any feedback regarding how I could make improvements.

Thank you!

These are great! I'm short on funds or I'd be buying some! One possible future update, or maybe you already do, but posting how many pieces of cardstock it takes to do the kit (in 1/12th) scale might be a turn on (or off....) for buyers. Is every item on it's own page? Or are the combined? (espically for the houses and gardens kits)....