Question About Copper Roofing

I have no clue about authentic architectural details so I wanted to know from our very own experts on this forum about using copper for mansard roofs instead of shingles, on a dollhouse like the Lily.

If I have any little corner left in my home after my father moving in, I was thinking of building another lily, since I love those second empire houses (is it second empire? I might be wrong on that) but wanted to try out some different finishes and a copper roof came to mind. Would it have been used for that style house on all the roofing or maybe just the dormers? Thanks for any info. I love knowing about the dollhouse styles.

• Like 1

Gina, I believe I have seen a Lily (or some other mansard roofed dh) built with a copper roof. The way I read about doing copper roofs using copper foil is to cut the foil into strips and fold the strips together at the edges to join them; this simulates the joins of the RL copper roofing sheets. Then you can attach them to your roof templates, cut them to fit and glue them into place. When I had the Willowcrest kit that's how I wanted to do its roof; only instead of telling me how to bash it bigger the darned kit suddenly shut up on me and I ended up swapping it for a Brimble's.

• Like 2

Thank you for the tips Holly and thanks for the photo links A.Wright. That's just what I needed to see in order to picture what the roof would look like. I love that Lily! I especially love what she did to the front doors. Beautiful!

• Like 1

Love Carollee's build! Makes me want to do another Lily-- the Lily was my very first house and I made a lot of mistakes... :p I am having trouble figuring out how she did those seams between the copper sheets-- are they folded together? The seams look darker than the sheets.

I just went through her gallery and love what she did with this house. I hadn't seen it before, and have been doing copper roofing on my big Tennyson starting on the veranda roof. I've been going back and forth on the main roof, trying to decide if I should do it in copper, and this showed me how good it can look!

• 5 months later...

Has anyone done the copper roofing for the Willowcrest? As soon as I saw the house, I thought copper roofing would be terrific for it! It doesn't seem historically accurate from the Mansard's homes I've looked at online- It looks like slate octagonal shingles with copper flashing is more the style.... but it would be flashy with a fully coppered roof. I haven't decided what to do yet for mine. I'm not even close to think of the roof quite yet.

• 5 weeks later...

I considered a copper roof for my 'existing house bash' moderne house. Either that, or a copper floor in a 1930 Chinese Drawing Room! I checked out real copper sheeting; lovely but way too expensive for my budget. So I decided that, if I should eventually decide to incorporate a copper roof or floor, it will be a painted one.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I'd do the ceiling in copper and the floor in malachite, but that's just me.

I love John Galsworthy's Forsyte novels. The first six, in particular, since the peerless 1960s BBC TV series THE FORSYTE SAGA comprised those, only. When the 'saga' reaches the 1920s one leading character, Fleur Forsyte (Mont by marriage), a spoiled, indulged society hostess always up-to-date with the latest trends, decides to create a Chinese Drawing Room. It has lacquered cabinets, a Chinese screen, Chinese paintings and ornaments, and a copper floor which her pet Pekingese, Ting-a-Ling (Ting, for short) cannot resist licking, to its cost (the wee mite always throws up,. afterwards).

One key reason I myself would probably not choose copper for a floor is the speed and ease with which it discolours! I suppose Fleur's maid was required to spend long hours cleaning and polishing that floor. Copper roofs, likewise, go 'green' which could be charming but would not suit an interior floor!

If you live in a damp climate, copper ceilings can also tarnish to verdigris; and be an even bigger bear to keep clean and tarnish-free. How do you keep a copper floor from getting scratched and damaged? Make everyone take off their shoes and wear thick, soft socks and pad the bottoms of every stick of furniture in the room?