Issues assembling bathroom tub

cricri99

Hello everyone, my neighbor built his own dollhouse from scratch to give to his granddaughter. To make a story short he never gave it to her and she is now in her twenties so he gave it to my daughter. I am in the process of assembling the furniture that I bought. I finished the bedroom, but now I am stuck on the bathroom tub :( I can't seem to make all the pieces fit together. Below is the URL of the bathroom I am working on. Has anyone done this one? Can you give me some pointers on how to assemble it or maybe share pictures of all sides of the tub.

http://shop.greenleafdollhouses.com/Wood-Half-Scale-Laser-Cut-Bathroom-Miniature-Dollhouse-Furniture-Kit.html

Thank you so much in advance.

Isabel

Your link is to the 1:24 (0.5"=1') scale kit. I have built the kit in 1:12 (1"=1') scale and I found that I used a few small bits of masking tape to hold things together whilst they dried, in addition to a gluing jig:

60304_R.jpg

I found that the picture on the front of the kit was the most help in putting the items together. I also did a LOT of sanding and spackling and sanding some more.

• Like 1

I might have to use some spackling, because no matter how I assemble the tub is just doesn't fit right. There are spaces that shouldn't be there. Will continue with the rest of the bathroom and go back to the tub later.

Thanks!

Maybe you could post a picture showing the problem area so we could help a bit more with some brainstorm ideas.

Welcome btw, I know you'll enjoy your time with us here in this little mini family at Greenleaf.

Holly, I love that gluing jig and need to get one!

Isabel, welcome to the forum! Kellyannmo built that bathroom set in half scale. You didn't say what scale the scratch build house is. Like Selkie says, if you post photos, we can probably be more helpful.

It's scaled 1"-1'. I disassembled it since it was not fitting right. Once I get back to the tub I'll post pictures if I just can't do it again :-) It's probably cut wrong or something. Even though I am new at this is really not rocket science to put the furniture together.

Thanks Selkie and Debora!!

I wasn't expecting replies so fast!!! Glad I found the forum :-)

Welcome,Isabel! Be sure to keep us posted on your progress.If you have any more troubles,or want share your success,take my word for it,this is the nicest bunch of people to come to!I learn something new and fun every day! Kat

Debora, I got my gluing jig from Micro-Mark; I got a set of extra magnets at the time. Even so, gluing up stairs (or the set of scratch-built 1:24 dining chairs I made for the Fairfields) I ran out of magnets!

Isabel, I ued the spackle to get a smooth base to simulate porcelain. I didn't have gapping at the seams, just a wee bit at the tabs. I painted the tub's outside to match the bathroom's decor and the inside white, I recall. I think the commode stool was the only piece I painted completely white.

I have that gluing jig too. You can purchase extra magnets for it which is what I have done.

I love it. It makes life so much simpler for glue drying and nice square corners.

There is another one they have called a 90 degree angle that I have thought about getting too.

They sell ones for ship building that work on a curve too. Never tried those.

Welcome, Isabel :welcome: Glad you found us - you've stumbled into the University of Miniatures - there are seasoned builders here who are glad to help with the tiniest problems :)

I have that gluing jig too. You can purchase extra magnets for it which is what I have done.

I love it. It makes life so much simpler for glue drying and nice square corners.

There is another one they have called a 90 degree angle that I have thought about getting too.

They sell ones for ship building that work on a curve too. Never tried those.

Thanks for the links, Selkie. I have that jig also; it was one of the first mini-tools I bought. I couldn't work without it! But there are times I could use more magnets.

I end up cutting the end top decoration since it didn't fit and there is a gap at the end with the side. Need to fill it in with compound or something else. I tried uploading the picture, but its too big. I tried using photoshop to make it smaller, but I got to 17kb and it was so small. How do you guys do it?

• Like 1

I think your problem is that you haven't made five posts yet. Respond to this post and you will have five, then try again with the smaller image in another post. Should work then.

Finally!!! Thank you Debora :-) Here is the tub. You can see the gap on the right hand side. The top decoration I had to trim the sides because it was too large and wouldn't fit.

Isabel, I'd fill in the gap with Spackle. Once it's painted, you'll never know it was there. You can also put Spackle on the end of your finger and rub it into the rough edges of the pieces to get a nice, smooth finish.

Isabel,Kathie is so right about spackle! I've been working on a cheapie door that came with my tab and slot dollhouse kit that is made of basically the same plywood construction your furniture kit is. I thought it was hopeless! But,as Kathie says, the spackle filled in and smoothed all the rough edges and made it look so much nicer after the paint job! Spackle is super easy to work with and inexpensive,too.

I would also fill the gap with the wood splinter first. Then I'd sand the edges to round them just a bit, give the whole piece a thin coat of spackle inside & out and when it's thorough;y dry, in a day or two, give it a good, smooth sanding and paint it.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the ideas!! I am so new to this. I've never worked with wood before. My husband has and he says that spackle might crack that I should use compound. What you do you all think?

Which is why I suggested the "splinter" as reinforcement. Spackle is fine for small areas but not large ones as it does not have much shear strength just compressive. The glued splinter will close up the area and strengthen it and the spackle is just for the cosmetic refinement. Hope that helps.

• Like 1

I have used lightweight spackle for "stucco" and "stonework" exterior finishes for dhs (I used spackle inside AND out on my Glencroft pub), as well as for covering wood bath fixtures (and fridges) such as the Corona Concepts kits make; it hasn't cracked and is still holding up after mini years. You can also use joint compound; what you want is to cover the wood with something that will sand smooth and provide an even surface so that after it's painted with glossy white paint it looks like porcelain.