Bespaq

rodentraiser

Well, with my Hofco house, I got a bunch of furniture in a plastic bin. Most of it I'm going to keep for the Willowcrest, but some I'm going to put on eBay. The problem is, I don't know what to even ask for it. Houses are my thing, not furniture. And it appears I may have some fairly expensive pieces here. Some of them are priced and have numbers on them, which I'm assumin gis their catalog number. One of them is labeled Fantastic Merchandise. A rocking chair is clearly labeled Bespaq and another piece has the number and the letters BP on it. My question is, if I post pictures here, would anyone be able to recognize these pieces?

Also I noticed that even on some of the more expensive items with a mirror back, the mirror is actually glued onto a piece of wood simulated paper which is then put on the back of the pieces. I have a bed, a china cabinet and a fireplace (which might also be either Concord or Aztec) that is like this. Would a company like Bespaq actually do this? But if this isn't Bespaq, why the high price on the china cabinet ($75)?

Anyway, I will try to post some pics tomorrow evening.

You might check with Grazhina as well. She sells Bespaq.

You don't want to undervalue them since the ones you can't use

could help to pay your rent or fund the next mini project!!

Your best bet would be to post good clear pictures here. I have Bespaq catalogs that go back 10 years, but there's a lot of Bespaq floating around in the marketplace that's older than that. I've had inquiries about this or that Bespaq piece, - is it Bespaq? do I carry it? can I get it? do I know who else has it? I don't know if I've never seen it before.

I do know there are people here who may know of or remember pieces that I don't.

Thanks, guys. I was going to post pics today and then didn't get time to take any. I will do that ASAP and probably Tuesday is the earliest I will be on the computer again to post them. I was looking at the furniture Aztec makes and it's hard to tell the difference. But definitely, pics are coming!

Okay! I finally have some pics of the furniture. I don't know if they are clear enough, but here goes:

I'm pretty sure the fireplace is either Concord or Aztec. The single chair by itself with the white seat has a tag on it that says Fantastic Merchandise. The rocking chair is labeled Bespaq. The rest I don't know about. The bed has a mirror attached to wood simulated tape to cover the two holes in the headboard. It fell off and while I still have it, I may replace those two holes with pictures instead. The china cabinet is the one with the hefty price tag on it - $75! Lisa has the four chairs that came with the table, but they are darker and don't match the color. Hopefully she will take pics of them.

• Like 2

What? Why, Holly, you wouldn't like mirrors on your headboard? ROTFLMAO I'm laughing at myself here as well. The first thing I thought was how much we had underestimated the Victorians! But when the mirrors fell off, I already knew they wouldn't be going back on.

Those Victorians covered their chairs' legs with ruffles so they wouldn't lead their imaginations into naughty thoughts; wonder what else would lead their imaginations into naughty thoughts? Of course they put mirrors on their headboards, and probably hung little lacy curtains over them in the daytime!

• Like 3

Those Victorians covered their chairs' legs with ruffles so they wouldn't lead their imaginations into naughty thoughts; wonder what else would lead their imaginations into naughty thoughts? Of course they put mirrors on their headboards, and probably hung little lacy curtains over them in the daytime!

And yet they took the naughtiest photos of all when the camera was invented!

I would like to see the headboard with two porcelain inserts, painted with beautiful country scenery or maybe some Venetian inspired stained glass panels.

• Like 1

I am seeing two chip-carved and stained oval inserts for the bed or even just plain wood stained to match. (See this real bed on eBay)

I Googled "victorian carved beds" and found none with mirrors, tapestry, paintings or porcelain decoration. I think all wood would be more in keeping with the period -- unless of course the bed ends up in a bordello. :shifty:

• Like 2

I have gone through The Tasteful Interlude and our Monkey Ward's and Sears' cataalogues from the early 19002 (the earliest we have) and found no headboards with ovals, either plain wood or anything else.

I haven't seen any of those pieces before.I know there were American miniature manufacturers back before the 80's, now out of business who made some nice stuff.

The sofa set does look Bespaqish, as do some of the other pieces. Feel and look at the finish, is it nice and smooth? Check the carving.

Have to go with Kathie on the wooden inserts on the bed stead, but then again, makers will often play around and drop authenticity for something that looks better or more interesting in mini scale. If wooden inserts looked bland, they'd add mirrors or decorated panels. I'd have gone with decorated panels myself.

I haven't seen any of those pieces before.I know there were American miniature manufacturers back before the 80's, now out of business who made some nice stuff.

The sofa set does look Bespaqish, as do some of the other pieces. Feel and look at the finish, is it nice and smooth? Check the carving.

Have to go with Kathie on the wooden inserts on the bed stead, but then again, makers will often play around and drop authenticity for something that looks better or more interesting in mini scale. If wooden inserts looked bland, they'd add mirrors or decorated panels. I'd have gone with decorated panels myself.

The finish is very smooth. In fact, I thought at first the pieces were made out of plastic. I'd still think that because of the carving and the shiny finish except a bunch of them had broken arms or legs that came apart at the joint and you could see the wood where they weren't stained. Lisa and I glued them carefully back together but you can see where some of them need to be touched up a wee bit. The carving is exquisite. I've never seen sofas and chairs before that had more carving than seatbacks, although like I said, I rarely pay attention to furniture.

You guys are so bad about that headboard! I, of course, would never think such terrible thoughts........ladeedadeeda....LOL :ohyeah::note:

I just love those real beds. And now having seen them, I really think wood is what I'll put there. Provided I can match the color and finish. And by the way, you can't see it, but the bed (my bed) is made the same way as in the pictures: there are three slats in the frame to hold the mattress and they attach to the head and foot boards with pegs.

• Like 2

Kelly, I don't think you need to match the wood color for the ovals. A nice complementary tone would work, too, a bit lighter or darker maybe.