Outdoor Dollhouses

Jeffrey

I've been thinking lately about going half scale but I feel like I would probably not be all that into doing the interiors at that scale. When it comes to 1" scale dollhouses on a scale of 1-10 with 1 being enjoying interiors more and 10 being exteriors I'm at about a 6. I enjoy doing the exterior work slightly more than the interiors. ANYWAY I was thinking about doing half scale houses just exterior only and sealing off the back and putting them in the garden. Maybe lighting them with dollar store solar lights. I would have to seal them with marine varnish or something to keep them from deteriorating. I know half scale houses are the same size as the largest model train buildings which are specifically for garden railroads but I love a lot of the dollhouse styles available I think they would look great in the garden sitting on some single paving stones as a foundation.

Thoughts? Opinions? Prior Experiences?

• Like 1

I love half scale. It's my favorite because there is still plenty of detail (both interior and exterior), and for someone with limited space like me I can have several of them without my entire home becoming devoted to dollhouses.

They would look great in a garden train setting, but I'm uncertain about protecting them from the elements. I suppose if they were sealed properly you wouldn't have any problems.

• Like 1

The only reason I'm hesitant about half scale interiors is because I feel like the selection is limited compared to 1" scale.

I'm not doing trains because I live on the second floor and I don't own the house but someday when I have my own house there will definitely be thunder on the rails in my yard.

• Like 1

It's true that you can find just about anything for one inch scale, but I'm finding more and more things available in half scale. The better furniture is available in half scale and I've found lots of furniture kits as well to make my own.

I make a lot of my own wallpaper and floor papers, but there is quite a selection available. Also, many times one inch scale will work for half scale. It all depends on the pattern. I've also found one inch items that work for half scale. Example: I've got a glass one inch scale perfume bottle with stopper that is perfect for a half scale decanter.

Personally, I like the challenge of creating or converting larger scale items to half scale. :)

• Like 1

Ive wondered the same thing...how to make a house one inch scale or otherwise hold up to the outdoor elements. I think they would be so cute in a garden setting. Looking fw to seeing everyones ideas.

after i'm finished with the SF my first order of business will be making the Fairfield garden-worthy. and there's a 30% off dollhouse kits sale at HBS. hmmmm

I can't imagine dollhouses outside as it would never fly in our climate. However......my thoughts are that I would use houses with a 1/4-1/2" plywood shell and seal the heck out of it then use outdoor paint.

I have seen the photos of mini's outdoors being enjoyed by squirrels. Do a 1" scale, leave the back open and see what happens :)

I am currently making the Fairfield. I had planned to focus on the outside of it and make it a Christmas house, generally not doing much with the inside... But then I got it into dry fit, and had more and more thoughts about what to do with the inside. Now it is getting more and more detailed inside and haven't even gotten as far as seriously thinking about what I'm going to do with the outside!

• Like 1

I'm going to caulk all the edges, paint it with exterior paint/stain and seal it up with marine quality varnish. I think it'll work out well as long as its done properly.

• Like 1

Ive had one I kept for several years in a covered porch seating area...sat on a small table near the patio furniture. Aside from dust getting inside of it, it stood up fine, but that's in California and not being directly exposed to rain/snow/wind. Speaking of wind...I guess it would have to be heavy enough not to blow away...you don't live in Kansas do you ? ;-)

There's a precedent for wood and water. Wooden ships have been around with us forever, so I think if your house is just finished right, there shouldn't be any problem with it being outside. Although if you live in a tornado area, you may want to reconsider.....

Ok so I just purchased the RGT 2013 Build Along House, JJ's Cottage, 30% off at HBS. (Basically negates the shipping cost) Money's tight and I don't want to be out too much $$ if it fails. It's MDF so I'm going to have to seal the heck out of it but I'm excited to give this a try.

http://www.miniatures.com/12-Scale-JJs-Dollhouse-Cottage-Shell-Kit-P24267.aspx

The orchid and buttercup kits would make cute bird houses, they have the circle windows already in the front :)

the half scale buttercup would definitely work as a birdhouse.

The 1" scale ones would make a nice bird apartment complex...

This book might be interesting to pick up while you wait...of course you wouldn't have to make them into birdhouses...but I bet there are ideas for making them water resistant etc. Just a thought.

http://www.amazon.com/Making-Painting-Victorian-Birdhouses-Joyce/dp/0891348816/ref=sr_1_43?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1371922478&sr=1-43&keywords=victorian+houses

Well my house arrived yesterday and I didn't even know it. I woke up this morning and when I looked at my desk i said to myself "what is that box?" Lol so maybe ill get to work on that this weekend.

• Like 1