Hello from AZ/MT

Nemorn

Hello my name is Judy and I know my tag is confusing. I'm about to move from Phoenix to Billings in about three weeks. Common sense would say I should wait to start a dollhouse project, but I just couldn't. So I did the next logical thing and bought the orchid because I was hoping it would be a manageable project to tackle, something to get my feet wet.

I have seven kids and five still at home, ranging from 14yrs to 9 months. I also thought it would be a great family project, but even if the kids fink out on me I won't mind. I also wanted to start with a small one so I didn't get in over my head. I can't wait to get started and am thankful for this resource.

• Like 1

Welcome Judy :)

Nope. No common sense. Nothing logical about it. You're going to fit right in! Many of us are rather normal until it comes to our miniature world. Throw logic out the window, leave your moments of using good common sense for when the kids need it and build a dollhouse!

This forum is a great place. Wonderful members and all the advice and caring you could ever ask for. Good luck with your first house and remember......this is addictive. There will be more.

Have fun!

Morgan

• Like 2

Welcome to the little family, Judy. I have built the wood version of the Orchid in my middle son's basement in VA and in our RV camper, as well as a plastic version that's our Christmas house. I also have another wood one I found falling apart in a thrift store; falling apart because the original builder used the hot glue recommended in the instructions. We who build the kits do NOT recommend using hot glue to put them together. I personally use carpenter's wood glue to build the wood parts and clear-drying tacky glue for the acetate inserts. I also recommend doing a dry fit first, which I explained in my reply to your post elsewhere.

I have discovered the delights of rehabbing kits built with hot glue since DH loaned me his heat gun!

• Like 1

Just to welcome you and caution you ...

We are a terrible/wonderful bunch of enabling mini addicts here in the GL forum.

Oh and btw - "logic" and it's synonyms are not in the dictionary we use.

• Like 1

Holly what about hot "wood glue"?

I use the carpenter's wood glue, either the golden yellow or the tan varieties; I don't use any breed of hot glue, so I don't know how a hot wood glue would stand up over time; but the ordinary hot glue crystalizes or something and whatever it was used to hold together falls apart, especially dollhouses.

Welcome to the forum!

Not sure if it works on kit houses, but regular Elmer's glue works great on scratch-built houses. I thought building houses around 3 kids was difficult. You're definitely going to have an interesting time building a house around the little ones.