Identifying Unknown Dollhouses

morgansmith

I know I have seen this information somewhere, on here, I think. Of course, now I want it and can't find it.

If I want to identify a mystery house, is there a main source or something where one can see all the dollhouses manufactured? Past and present. Too easy, right? I'm finding myself wanting to rescue houses off craigslist and have no clue where to find info besides posting a pic. It would be nice to be able to figure out what some are. Todays is a tall, skinny 4 story San Franciscan type.

Thanks for any info out there. You guys rock, as always.

Morgan

Thank you soooo much Pam. I've become addicted to the idea of saving sad houses on craigslist and keep wondering what different ones are. I couldn't find the info I knew was here.

Tonight we rescued a Dura Craft Crestville for $20. It needs a re-hab and appears to be a perfect candidate. I'm excited for the help locating a way to identify these builds.

Edited a spelling error. Thanks for not laughing folks :)

• Like 1

Morgan, I see you're from the Northwest. That means you should be aware that there are two other houses that look like the Duracraft Crestview. The other two are a house by Compass Miniatures (I will have to doublecheck that) and a house by Victorian Times Miniatures designed by Clell Boyce called the Hanson House. If you can actually see the house, it's not hard to tell which house is which, but I've noticed that pictures on eBay and Craig's List tend to be confusing. Someone had a Hanson House on Craig's List just a short time ago (it might still be there) and I totally blew by it five times before I realized what I was seeing.

Also, I was going to say, I have some back catalogs from some companies, a whole bunch of the Miniatures Catalogs, a long memory (sometimes not as accurate as I would like it though), and a weird gift that allows me to remember and recognize dollhouses I've seen in the past. If anyone needs any help and they can't find out about a house here, just shoot me a PM and I'll help all I can.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi im having a similar problem with a dollhouse i found on craigslist i was hoping i could just piggyback on this thread rather than create another, if anyone knows anything about it i would appreciate any information.Thankyou `Dawnpost-37332-0-01175100-1372343308_thumb.j

hmm that's an interesting one. it looks either custom made or like a keystone or other similar midcentury pressboard house decorated house. are there inside pictures?

Dawn, that definitely looks scratch built to me. What a little charmer. It's hard to tell scale, but it appears to me to want to be some kind of cozy cottage, perhaps for elves?

Yes,it does look scratch built to me,too. Wonder if it's meant to be 1:24 scale? It definitely has a storybook charm to it! Also,I can see doing something Christmasy with it-Santa Claus's elves house? Great find!

Thanks for posting the link on identifying the houses Pam! I was able to find the house my mom built me when I was younger. It was the Colonial Dream House by Arrow!

Edited by gngrrng

• 9 years later...
  • 4 months later...
On 6/12/2013 at 5:13 PM, morgansmith said:

I know I have seen this information somewhere, on here, I think. Of course, now I want it and can't find it.

If I want to identify a mystery house, is there a main source or something where one can see all the dollhouses manufactured? Past and present. Too easy, right? I'm finding myself wanting to rescue houses off craigslist and have no clue where to find info besides posting a pic. It would be nice to be able to figure out what some are. Todays is a tall, skinny 4 story San Franciscan type.

Thanks for any info out there. You guys rock, as always.

Morgan

There's also a Facebook group called "The Dollhouse Identification And Miniatures Group." They can be pretty helpful.