Using spackle to stucco walls

kat57

Can spackle be colored with paint before applying to the walls as stucco? I have used lightweight spackle from the dollar store for mini grouting,but never wanted to color it before,as I was happy with it being white. My son picked up a fresh tub from Walmart,Dap brand Dry Dex,the kind that goes on pink and turns white when it is dry. The container seems alot heavier than the kind I had before,in the same size tub. Does anyone know if it matters whether it has the 'lightweight' distinction? Has anyone used this pink kind? Also,have any of you painted your stuccoed houses anything besides neutrals? I have mostly seen neutrals anywhere I have looked in the galleries or elsewhere. I think I want to go with a deep golden yellow interior-I've seen a Whitledge-Burgess roombox done in a gorgeous shade! I just need some inspiration besides most of what I can find! Thanx for any help,Kat

More like comments than a real answer.

My DH is on its side right now as I work on it so I can't get a good picture of the outside. The chimney is coated with spackle mixed with some white glue then textured. I painted it after it was dry. I would worry that adding paint to spackle might make it a little loose but why not experiment with it?

The outside walls are textured to look like stucco by adding "sand" to paint. I bought the sand at a paint store. It's a product made to add texture to paint to make non slip surfaces. The paint is a taupe color so that makes it a neutral but I see no reason that you couldn't make it any color.

img1802x.jpg

I've used the pink stuff, and like it. You can see when it's dry. If you tint it, I'd use gel food coloring and make a small sample first. I do not know if the color/dry feature will work.

I have always painted spackle once it's dry. I have painted it colors, brown, pink, yellow, and turquoise. I tried the lightweight spackle once, I personally didn't like it as well, I couldn't make it do what I wanted. I have always used the pink stuff. But yeah, it is a lot heavier.

I like the lightweight spackle for stucco, but prefer the pink for carving into stones. I also paint it when it's dry. I read that the old half-timbered houses' plastered walls were painted with a mixture of whitewash and oxblood, which I simulated on my pub using raw sienna (the bricks are sandpaper, the tiles are construction paper that started out BLACK and sat near a window):

gallery_8_151_53121.jpg

Yeah,I guess I may experiment a little,to see what adding paint or gel color beforehand might do. I bet I'll wind up just painting the spackle later. I am kinda glad that this stuff has the 'dry time indicator' feature. Just so scared of anything new and this whole process (stucco) is new to me. I like the light weight stuff cuz I know how it handles,but at the same time,I was unsure how it could handle a whole wall coverage! Apparently both kinds can,which is a relief,because I really want to do this finish. Some time I do want to try sand in paint,but I have to use what I have for now. Next move will be to see if I can find this paint shade that is pounding on my brain! It's in a Dollhouse Miniatures magazine article on a roombox interior originally designed by the Whitledge-Burgess team,and I don't think the finish is spackle,but it is stucco and it's so perfect for what I want to do in the pizza and pasta parlor. I am usually strictly an every shade of blue and green kinda person,but the Ashley wants to be warm colors-red brick,for instance,and this awesome golden mustardy yellow that's kinda like butterscotch candy...aagh! Wish me luck and thanx again for your help! And thanx for the photos!

Katherine, if you add color to your spackle, do so in the most minute amounts and then test tiny amounts to see how it looks as it dries. I can tell you from bitter experience that adding color first can have unexpected consequences unless you proceed s l o w l y.

• Like 1

I have used sand in paint for the "look" it is easy to use and you can paint over it.....the only issue I have with this technique is the sand has sharp grit for little hands

so I dont use it on houses that are going to children....

but I do like the way it looks and the ease of application....

when I use stucco I usually paint over it with NO problem....

looking forward to seeing your project!! :batman:

Nutti,I'm so glad u mentioned the sharp grit texture-that wouldn't have occurred to me and it's a good thing to know,in case a child or fragile elderly person might handle a house covered that way. I have been afraid the dried spackle won't hold up to my fumble fingers,but it's original purpose seems to mean it is tough enough! Holly,Thanx for the warning-I will definetly go slow when adding paint when I practice with coloring the spackle,later today,I hope. And,btw-it's Kathryn,which I never,never,ever go by!lol I endured an ex-boyfriend using it,for 9 months,because he insisted on calling me that.Just sayin'... :D

I've used spackle to stucco before and have always painted it after its dry. Its worked well for me so far. I've used it in foundations and chimneys. Its convenient for small jobs because she don't have to mix a big batch. I usually dilute my spackle, a tiny bit, with water just so it spreads a little easier. Don't use too much or you'll loose the ability to create texture.

Thanx for the tip to dilute the spackle a little,Gina! Tracy and Holly, I was impressed by all the tissue-stuccoed houses I found in the galleries the other day.It sure is a nice looking finish.I'll go look at yours later,Tracy.I was a preschool teacher for about 12 years and tissue paper was one of my best friends for all kinds of fun arts and crafts projects with the children! :)

Thanx for the tip to dilute the spackle a little,Gina! Tracy and Holly, I was impressed by all the tissue-stuccoed houses I found in the galleries the other day.It sure is a nice looking finish.I'll go look at yours later,Tracy.I was a preschool teacher for about 12 years and tissue paper was one of my best friends for all kinds of fun arts and crafts projects with the children! :)

Hmmm... Yeah, guess I should get some pictures of that up soon... Sorry. Right now I have only one wall and a half wall done, so not a lot of progress. But guess this Harrison deserves its own album. I'll put it on the to-do list.

• Like 1

Hmmm... Yeah, guess I should get some pictures of that up soon... Sorry. Right now I have only one wall and a half wall done, so not a lot of progress. But guess this Harrison deserves its own album. I'll put it on the to-do list.

Yes, please do!