Chimney finish

Sivin

Hello,

We just completed the chimney for the Bellingham Farmhouse and I plan to apply "brickwork" to it shortly. The kit comes with some powder and a decal set-up but I have seen advertised online some adhesive type bricks. I would like opinions of such products; how difficult (or easy) they are to apply and the final outcome. Also, if you have used and liked (or disliked) such a product I would appreciate the brand name.

Thanks!

Helaine, the self-adhesive template paper and brick powder are a product called Magik Brik and I have used it on both the Dura-Craft kits I've built. I painted the area to be bricked the color I wanted my grout and when it dried I applied the template, leaving an overlap I folded back so I could grab it to pull it off at the proper time. Following Tom Berkner's advice on a former news group I followed, I mixed equal parts water and white glue to the powder to the consistancy of thick frosting and spread it over the template, beginning at the fold. Whilst it was still fairly damp I then pulled straight up on the template to remove it; ideally this leaves the brick stuff in place to dry and leaves the grout lines showing.

Our own Dawn also sells the Bromley Brick, which consists of a reusable plastic template that you spritz with spray adhesive and use as for the paper. Since the paper template IS paper, you need to remove it fairly quickly after applying your brick mix, or it will tear and not pull up if it soaks too much liquid. The Bromley system is far more forgiving (I got to play with some the last time I visited Peggi).

Some folks have also experimented with cutting plastic needlepoint scrim into brick patterns and using spackle or drywall mud for the bricks.

• Like 3

Thanks Holly and Perry. We have a wonderful miniatures shop in the area but her hours are limited so I wanted to be prepared before I went there. Holly, your details gave me a clear picture of what to expect, and Perry, your chimney was a handsome part of your beautiful dollhouse.

Upward and onward!