Greenleaf's Seventh Annual Spring Fling Contest

Maybe so, but this is the SPRING fling, no?

Well, in the old days, ya, it was a real spring fling. I kinda wish it still was. Having more time doesn't always make it better. In my case, it gave me the false idea that I could do something way too complicated. Bashing what could have been readily built because I receive the expectations have risen and the quality of workmanship has skyrocketed in the last few contests. I wish I had kept it simple stupid - as they say.

Maybe GL could sponsor 2 contests.

I've actually thought about suggesting this idea to the GL owners. It's been on my mind lately.

1. One being the older style, very simple, Spring Fling that was truly in the spring. Wasn't it 1st day of spring through Memorial Day, right? The kits would be a new build but very small and quick. Anyone remember the arbor kit?

2. Then sponsor a year long whole hog creative juices style contest (with some clever name) where people, who like that sort of thing and are good at it, could invest longer amounts of time. Maybe GL could take one of their existing kits that was lagging in sales and offer it and a half scale version of it at a contest price and let people go to town on a full house/building. Of course they could design a new kit as well but I was thinking more of the regular house/cottage/store-front kind of kit.

Those who feel too intimidated or are new to the hobby could do the smaller, quicker one and those that really like a challenge could choose the second one.

Anyhow, just a thought. Gotta go to RL work for a while even though it's late.

• Like 3

I love your contest ideas,Selkie! I would like to try to enter the Fling next year,but it just sounds so stressful!!

I also think it sounds like some people put too many expectations on themselves-I've done it with my first dollhouse build,which is why you're still not seeing it yet-I bit off more than I can chew and am burned out on it at the moment. That sounds like what so many of the Flingers have done this year! I hope you can get back to having fun with it!

I feel for you all and can't wait to see what you have created,whether you end up entering it into the contest or not! Everybody stay safe and stop getting injuries!! ;)

Any project will expand to fill the time allotted. That's a law of the universe that I learned a long, long time ago. A corollary is to give a job to a busy person in order to have it done on time.

The longer build schedule did seem like a gift at first, but somehow it seems to have become a burden in the fullness of time. I do hope those of you struggling in the home stretch aren't really burned out but just temporarily frustrated. Remember the proverb: this too shall pass.

Hang in there!

• Like 2

I love the idea of two contests with one working with something they already make & adding 1/2 scale. I do however have a list of several dozen great contest ideas for Greenleaf but hey, that used to be my job. I created contests for one of the world's biggest fast good corporations for several years. The Spring Fling is wicked awesome :) but I want more. How about using a furniture kit as a main piece?

This contest has worked well for me and I like everything about it. I think we all benefit from pushing ourselves and sharing with each other in this positive environment. That being said.......

Thanks for all the fun comments about blood and guts :) What a ride it's been this year for so many. I really miss this group between flings.

Back when the Forum was introducing contests there was a Hallowe'en contest and the Spring Fling. I think the reason there's just the Spring Fling is that a contest is a great way to test-build new kits, and that one contest a year is enough time for Greenleaf employees to take off of working on kits to judge entries; and with the ever-improving quality of workmanship, that's no easy job!

I hope no one misunderstands what I said about the SF. It's only ME that is MY problem. NO complaints are intended to appear levied against GL, the contest rules, or any other part.

Any project will expand to fill the time allotted. That's a law of the universe that I learned a long, long time ago. A corollary is to give a job to a busy person in order to have it done on time.

With the extra time given, I did exactly as Kathie said, and expanded and expanded until I way overcommitted myself and overstretched myself. I knew my abilities, my RL consternations, my budget, my lack of free time all way ahead of committing to this. I made conscious decisions to design and expand. I am one of those people who can't stand to have idle hands. As my DH says about me, "if there's nothing to do, she'll create chaos just to have something to fix".

I just want to clarify that, in my opinion, my fuss-budgeting it is NOT anything to do with our wonderful GL folks. They do SO much for us (me) all the time - just by being who they are, by offering this WONDERFUL forum, the intricately designed kits, the challenging and interesting contests, the superb customer service, etc. etc. etc. My life is SO enriched by being a member of this fabulous community - and that includes each and every member, sponsored by such a fantastic company. Thanks Dean and gang.

I don't want anyone to take my end of the contest fussing and whining as a complaint against anyone - other than myself and my poor judgment.

.... I would like to try to enter the Fling next year, but it just sounds so stressful!!

Kat, don't be afraid the of the SF. It can be as simple and un-stressful as you want it to be. For the most part, the stress you read about, is self induced.

We are, after all, a family of creative types here with too many ideas, too little money and too little time.

• Like 2

Selkie, dear heart, I think we all know and love you, fuss-budget and all! People fussed in previous years about not having "enough" time to complete their contest entries by Memorial Day, and Kathie has hit the nail on the head! Hopefully this year's angst will let our wonderful Dean & Greenleaf folks know it's OK to go back to having the contest go from 20 March to Memorial Day and go with one of the mainline, smaller kits (or the furniture kit).

This kit is such a wonderful kit. It's basic enough to become anything. I'm very pleased with how mine came out, I'm even thinking about a second one to build to go along side this one. I have to say that I wasn't very into it though, but it was just me. I have way too much realife crap on my plate and not really able to enjoy the tiny bit of mini time that I do have. I feel for all of you having injuries and struggles, it's nothing against our beloved Greenleaf or the contest, there is just bad karma going around. I am pleased that my entry is in and now my album is ready to flip the switch to public when it's time.

.... I am pleased that my entry is in and now my album is ready to flip the switch to public when it's time.

Speaking of this part - our own personal SF albums -

What is the going opinion on what we put in these albums?

Should we include all our building steps? Should we just use finished shots or maybe just show the details that we can't show in the 3 entry pics?

I know I've showed both in the past but wondered if that was too much info for folks to wade through.

Thoughts?

I'm for including building activity in the gallery. The SFs traditionally display marvelous creativity, and I for one would really like to see how it was done.

:tv_happy: This is the Learning Channel, isn't it?

• Like 2

Speaking of this part - our own personal SF albums -

What is the going opinion on what we put in these albums?

Should we include all our building steps? Should we just use finished shots or maybe just show the details that we can't show in the 3 entry pics?

I know I've showed both in the past but wondered if that was too much info for folks to wade through.

Thoughts?

I usually like to document the building stage, but I had quite a few pics and only a few were during building (was'nt very good at snapping pics as I went) so in this album Only finished pics. If you have pics of the process please do show them. This is your album,:you can set it up as you please. We love any and all dollhouse pictures to look at.

I was fully intending to take progress photos and blog this whole bill but time got ahead of me and I ended up just focusing on working instead of photography

I know that whenever new members are building kits they certainly like to have pictures of the build to see what goes where. I'm not quite a new member, and I know I appreciate seeing how something went together.

I think you can include whatever you want in your gallery of this project. I too didn't take as many photos of the process as I'd intended, but I also kept my build very simple. I did take photos of several dry fits where I was "trying" something that was later rejected, so I won't include those photos.

This is a depressing subject. :( I had this amazing idea (well, in my mind, any ways :p) for my Spring Fling and due to stupid stuff out of my control, I haven't been able to do a single thing on it. I actually have 2 now, and they are both sitting in their wrappings, waiting to be packed away with my other things. I am however, looking forward to seeing what everyone else does! Maybe next year my life will be more settled to where I can join in on the fun of actually building the kit.

I thought I had plenty of time to work on my Fling - NOT! I'm thinking of ideas right now to trim down to a simpler entry - and I'm clearing my calendar so I can work round the clock to finish. :dog:

• Like 2

Hundred + photos down to three... Things look good, I was ready to submit, Then I realized what the heck am I gonna say about it??? :doh:

Must..muster words..from..last two... fighting brain cells... :swordfight:

I am RAHH RAHH !! :banana: for those of you that are getting close!! :cheer:

• Like 1

Okay, you all know I'm prone to panic - that's nothing new when it comes to SF's.

Well, while waiting for, yet, more trim pieces to dry ... I took a piece of paper (half of 8.5x11) to make a list of everything I still need to do. Thought it was good to organize all those last details - HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA (this is maniacal laughter)

6 half sheets later I'm now in FULL panic mode. As I sat there staring at this ^$%*&^%$ piece of hunk of junk - I began to realize just how far I truly am from being done and I don't mean things like fluffing pillows and placing vases. I mean my roof support system (that has been my nemesis right from the start) still isn't working. Nothing like a "lovely" ? contest entry with no roof. Really .....

I wanted to have a week left for photographing which means I need to be done by tomorrow. Again hahahahahahaha

So why you ask am I sitting here typing instead of working ? So I don't start a bonfire instead.

• Like 1

Selkie, I don't remember when I laughed so long and so hard! You do have a way with words!

I haven't been very active here during this spring flinging, mostly because I just can't do everything else I need to do (like working for real and working for fun -- SF -- and write here too! Besides real work and mini work, I need recoup time to breathe (on oxygen pretty much most of the time).! I've been pretty laid back about being able to finish my SF on time -- that is, until this past Monday, when I got slammed with real work -- and deadlines, of course. So now I've been thinking (and waking up in the middle of the night also) -- how am I gonna do this? The answer is really simple: creative photography!!! Think about it. If they will only judge 3 photos, be sure that you send them the right 3 photos! I still have to do the floorskk in my SF -- I was going to brick them. much like cobblestones (because Gayle sent me instructions and a whole carton of egg cartons!) until I realized that bricks or cobblestones just don't go on this type of structure (whew!) and now I realized that what I can do with skinny sticks will make it look much more authentic and go much FASTER! I definitely do need a fence around this property, but I'm pretty good with Photoshop! Betcha I can build a really nice fence after the pictures are taken (only if I have to, of course -- I will try to get this in as part of the build!). I've been working on my descriptive story all along (my granddaughter says, "Grandma, why do you have to have so much drama involved," and my answer, of course, is "becaiuse I can!" It's just so much more interesting that way!

Oh well, I've now written more here than everything else I've written on this forum topic all told, so it's time to get back to real, paying work so that tonight, maybe, I can play!

One way or another, we'll make it!

Selkie, the deadline is TWO weeks from today!!! You have another week to work and still have a week for photography!

Oh ... you're right - sigh ....

...... slinking away .... kicking a stone .... blithering idiot can't even read a calendar ....

• Like 1