Need advice/recommendation for nice wood flooring

WyckedWood

Those are awesome Perry, which types of wood do you prefer for the veneers, assuming the dark is walnut? Do you make up your own patterns or find patterns online?

Ive learned a lot too, thanks again everyone.

It's walnut and red oak with a polyurethane finish. The patterns are basically free hand and my own design. The iron on veneer is very easy to work with. Scissors, an iron and some imagination and thats it. Draw whatever pattern you want, cut it, try it till you get it the way you want and iron it down. You have a 5-10 second "window" to make any minor adjustmets before the heat activate glue sets and if you really screw up just reheat with the iron and take it off. Thanks for all the kind comments.

Okay, this will be my last one. This is the plywood floor supplied with the kit ( a Willow), stained, "boards" drawn in with an ink pen (also nails at each "board" end if you look close) and then polyurethane. Done with a straight edge and by hand so each "board" is slightly different and more realistic. A little time consuming but cheap!

post-12224-0-93149300-1366665653_thumb.j

• Like 1

I do that with the back tip of a utility knife & straight edge, and an awl of the nail holes. I apply stain and wipe it right off with a soft rag; the stain picks out the scribed lines and holes. Definitely cheap!

• Like 1

I make my floors using thin veneer; painting tape on one side where I draw on the cutting lines.

I cut it out using plain scissors.

I glue that on acid-free cardboard using white wood-glue very sparse.

I immediately put heavy books on top until dry so there will be no warping of the veneer.

Then I sand lightly, take sanddust off with a damp cloth and stain.

I do not use the veneer-on-a-roll as it is far more expensive over here than making a real veneer floor.

Fruittrees like cherry or pear have a beautiful grain for miniwork.

Ofcourse you can stain it any color you'd like.

Thanks again for all of the responses and neat ideas. I ordered the oak wood strip from Earth and Tree....which I wont get for 4-6 weeks but was not told this until after I placed the order......sigh.....but I also found out by coincidence that there is a Woodcraft store located in the same area that my husband has to go to for a meeting on Friday, and he's willing to take in my shopping list :) We'll get some of the different veneers to try out.

Also...I stained some basswood and put some strips of it around the rooms to see if Id like it for flooring in this house, and I love it. So all in all I got some great ideas and direction from everyone, thanks again :)

• 3 months later...

I love the coffee stirrers idea, but does anyone have leads on wooden ones that don't have rounded ends?

I'm learning so much from this forum! Thanks, all!

Check Amazon.com . I've got a box of 1000 that are square on the ends, but they are very narrow, which is perfect for my purposes in half scale. While tedious, an EasyCutter makes quick work for cutting the ends off the rounded sticks. I got my easy cutter on Amazon as well.

I purchase all my wood flooring needs from S H Goode (http://shgoode.com/sample-page). Unfortunately, they do not sell on their website by you can order through the mail, some shops and at shows from them. I usually buy what I need from them at the Good Sam Show. They have a fabulous product catalog you can order which has wood samples of our their flooring. They also have a 38-page booklet with information about anything and everything you would ever want to know about doing miniature wood floors. If you want the real thing and the correct way to do it I highly recommend contacting them about your needs.

Valerie