Need advice/recommendation for nice wood flooring

WyckedWood

Id like to have a really nice wood floor in certain parts of the house Im working on. Even if it cost a little more Id like to know what the builders and woodworkers recommend...the best product for the best price. Whats the best type of wood to buy ? I notice Earth and Tree has oak wood flooring strips...Ive always thought oak had a bit of a large grain for miniatures...is walnut smaller grained? Mahogany? What thickness should I buy? 1/16th inch or veneers? Or??

This is not a subject I know ANYTHING about so please talk to me like Im 4 and tell me what to buy and where to buy it :) I have limited power tools, but I may be able to cut one inch flooring strips from a larger piece of wood if that's what is recommended.

Ive been looking at the walnut veneers from woodcraft. Any thoughts at all are much appreciated, this is far from my area of expertise...I usually use regular houseworks flooring or Greenleaf siding strips. Not that theres anything wrong with houseworks type flooring...but the space is large and I would like to do one inch planks.

Thank you :)

Also....does anyone ever use the basswood sheets to cut flooring strips from?

Some of the "real" woodworkers will have better advice than me, but my DH bought me the veneer variety sample pack from Woodcraft and at some point I'll be cutting thin strips for doing my own floors. I love floor papers and haven't tired of them yet, but I'm curious about creating my own parquet patterns like others have done. The veneers are about as thick as heavy card stock and some of the wood patterns are really beautiful. Some of it is too coarse, but a lot of it looks like it will be useful. I expect to use card stock or something as a base to glue the wood strips to. That's my half baked plan so far. :)

I'm not much help; in the 1:24 haciendita I cut red oak iron-on veneer into 1/8" X 3" strips and laid them in a staggered fashion for the bedroom floor and stained them walnut. In aggie I used siding strips for the bedrooms and the self adhesive vinyl "wood" flooring GL sells for the parlor. In most of my GL & CC houses I scribe floorboards directly into the plywood.

Debora, I was looking at that variety pack, it looks interesting. Since this is a "rustic" project it might be OK to use several different woods. Just hesitating to pull the trigger on anything right now until I get some advice.

I may be a wood worker but I'm extremely cheap so I wouldn't have any advice for you except, as others have already stated, the wood veneer flooring. I myself haven't had the luxury of using it yet and I have been building for decades....lol

• Like 1

I've used the iron-on veneer, very easy to cut with a pair of scissors. It comes in birch and red maple. I stained mine walnut after I glued it on to a piece of cardstock template, then ironed it on to that. Iron it outside - it stinks when it gets hot! It costs a few cents short of $7.00 at Lowe's or Home Depot. It comes in a roll about as wide as a roll of masking tape and you would have more than enough to do a large floor.

• Like 1

Thanks Gina, Im usually the same way but Ive had floor envy for years, really want to do the parquet kits, but just for this main room,its so big it would cost over 120. Im not that crazy yet lol.

Rbytsdy....I love those floors, whats your favorite thickness to work with for using basswood? And how do you cut the strips, or do you buy them already cut to the width that you want? One big plus with basswood for me is I can get it at any of the hobby shops and not have to order it.

I've used the iron-on veneer, very easy to cut with a pair of scissors. It comes in birch and red maple. I stained mine walnut after I glued it on to a piece of cardstock template, then ironed it on to that. Iron it outside - it stinks when it gets hot! It costs a few cents short of $7.00 at Lowe's or Home Depot. It comes in a roll about as wide as a roll of masking tape and you would have more than enough to do a large floor.

Ive never noticed that product before at Home Depot. Hmmm..Sounds interesting.

Rbytsdy....I love those floors, whats your favorite thickness to work with for using basswood? And how do you cut the strips, or do you buy them already cut to the width that you want? One big plus with basswood for me is I can get it at any of the hobby shops and not have to order it.

Thanks! For parlor flooring, I like to use 1/32"; I buy it by the bushel-full (well, usually 4" by a couple feet) and cut it to width and length with my exacto. (Then sand the sides...) For interior floors, I'll make a card template and glue the strips onto it. For attic and porch flooring, I like 1/16", usually cut a little wider, though for my Tennyson build I used 1/4" on the porch so alot of strips...!

• Like 1

you can find a great variety of woods and shapes here

http://www.dollshouse-tiles.co.uk/

I used their tiles for building the wooden floors of my "Neverland" and at "La chasse aux papillons" (see my albums), excellent quality, great and friendly service; I know this supplier is selling is product on e bay too but i do not know the shop name but, for reference, he has images of my floors at Neverland

• Like 1

Ive never noticed that product before at Home Depot. Hmmm..Sounds interesting.

THey sell it at Lowe's where they sell the narrow wood trims. Easy to cut into parquet size strips.

• Like 1

Karin, I have rotten luck trying to cut wood with scissors. My tools for ripping wood veneer are a cork-backed steel straight edge and my retractable Stanley box-cutter utility knife with lovely new, SHARP! blades.

I put in a new blade the last time you suggested it Holly lol. Thanks for the tips.

Speechless Perry...that floor is....wow. bravo

Morgan, thats how I feel....lately Ive been trying to push myself out of my comfort zone and try new things.