What would you pay for a dollhouse doll

Jo Med

Definitely not a marketing question from me but last night I was glued to Ebay watching an auction for a dollhouse toddler. The seller has been making these dolls for a long time and they are beautiful, very realistic, tiny and articulated. The prices over the last couple of years have sort of ranged between £100 and £200 - getting progressively higher more recently. She starts them off at a very low price but must have a lot of regulars who collect her dolls - take a look at this.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Miniature-handmade-MINI-BABY-GIRL-TODDLER-ooak-ART-DOLL-HOUSE-ARTIST-DOLLHOUSE-/290898433969?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&nma=true&si=naFMmAUYL7eI%252F7m%252FWcDp0EhTldk%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Wow - that went for a lot of money. It isn't so much what I would pay for a doll "IF" I had unlimited funds. It is based on what I can afford. That is definitely out of my ballpark! The doll is just so adorable and if I had won the lottery - I would have been tempted!

WOW! That's over $5,300 US. I have met a couple of doll collectors in my mini club. They are more into the vintage dolls and have paid over $1,000-$2,000 for dolls. I guess if I was a collector it would depend on how much I wanted it. A lot of us feel the same way about DH's and DH kits.

As a side note I collect old movie theater lobby cards from B movie westerns (Hopalong Cassidy, Rocky Lane, The Durango Kid). The cost factor is the same with those. I think sometimes we get spoiled with some of our CL and eBay finds. I think about that when I find some of these cards at antique shows and the vendor wants 3-4 times what I am used to paying. I have bitten the bullet on some because they are right in front of me and I am not sure I will see them again. I would assume the same would be true for doll collectors. If you really want it, you will pay for it.

I collect ooak's and have watched Karen's work for a long time. It was once affordable for anyone. Her dolls are adorable and worth high prices but 5300? There are stories behind the big purchases. Wonder what this one is?

Because the dolls we are talking about are made of polymer clay they are truly ooak. Before I had a real life dolly, that is high maintenance financially, I loved buying what I could. I have a collection of babies, most 3.5" - 4". In fact I was honored to make many knits for one of these artists. The babies I made things for went for over 300. Many in my collection were near that.

• Like 1

This is certainly a beautiful doll, masterfully executed. Looking at the 35 photos gave me the feeling that a proud Mom was snapping pics of her precious darling in real life. And as the old adage goes, an item is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. But I wonder why no photos of the back?

Oh yeah, I've been watching her work too, along with that of a few others. It makes my heart sing that miniature artists are making real money for their work. It's out of my price range, but clearly there are others with the interest and funds to be serious collectors. Every art needs its patrons.

I'm trying to figure out my personal price point, because I'm considering getting an art doll for one of my houses. We will see. I keep watching and smiling.

• Like 2

I know more than one incredible polymer clay artist who started just a few years ago. Their first babies looked like aliens and monsters. They are now BIG. Polymer clay is something anyone can work with and get good enough at to make their own characters, if they want. Even if you aren't ever going to be able to make a career of it, you can do it.

I'm personally not into dolls so I would not be willing to pay much. I just buy my dolls at a miniature shop rather than a doll maker. For people who do collect dolls though, as we can see, they are willing to pay a lot and then some for them especially if the doll is by their favorite artist. I can imagine a lot of hard work must go into making a doll. All of the facial features and expressions have to come out looking correctly and they are one of a kind so if someone has the money, I could imagine they would be willing to spend it.

At one point just after I started making my own 1:12 dolls I had people ask me to make dolls for them, and I briefly did commissions (it's amazing what people will find attractive!), but I only figured my costs for supplies and doubled it. I don't do it any more, although I still "collect" the people I see out & about to make into dolls some day.

Gorgeous dolls but way out of my price range. Don't even really know what my price range is....coming to think about it, I just paid an extraordinary amount for my somewhat mass produced ball jointed doll, but I love her, so I guess it all comes down to whatever you are willing to pay.

Like Debora said, it is great seeing miniature artists being paid money for their work. And don't forget to check out Jo's dolls too. They are unique creations as well!

I am always surprised at the prices that 1:12 cats bring. Ive seen the cats sell for that same range...and as far as the back story to high priced cats, maybe its the same with the dolls, especially the babies or toddlers...they look exactly like someone or some pet that the buyer once loved.

Back stories: Most of these artists have websites and followings. A new ooak going up on ebay can be announced ahead of time on their sites and people actually have rivalries to see who wins bids. On ebay you can usually see who the bidders are, not to mention you learn their bidding styles. Sometimes there are dolls auctioned which potential buyers already know is for a good cause.

As for making polymer ooaks........there are TONS of tutorials on You Tube and different websites. Morezmore, a fantastic ebay seller has alk the supplies and even more tutorials. Character faces and animals are easiest (all first efforts have that look or one of an alien anyway) so start there. Buy a little countertop oven at a yard sale for a $1 like I did and use it somewhere well ventilated, outside if possible. You're on your way!

Honestly, the artist who just sold for $5300 was lucky to get $53 just 2 or 3 years ago. Yes, she is good but she is not the only crafter capable of becoming great.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

It depends on the doll and how much I need it. If it's one that's commonly found either online or in a miniature store I usually won't pay more than $20.00 but if it's custom made for me or OOAK than the price goes up considerably. I could rationalize spending about $200 - $225 for a doll by Wolfie or JoMed.