Fairfield-Bay Windows...Roof

shaseltine

Hello everyone,

I finally posted some pictures to the gallery. Haven't made much progress on the build since I started in December, but it's coming along.

I have a question for anyone who has built the Fairfield. I am having a problem with the sloped-roofs on the bay windows and may try to fabricate them myself instead of trying to make the ones that came with the kit work. The issue is that the parts seem to be too small...unless I'm doing something wrong??? Has anyone used the roofs that came with the kit and did you have any problems? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Sue

It's been a long time and I didn't take any pictures of his step, but I thnk I remember having this problem. There are two different ways the pieces seem to fit together. Make sure your pieces are facing the right way. Also, I think I had to cut down the short ends of the trim that goes around the bottom of the bay roof, otherwise it didn't fit snugly around the roof pieces.

• Like 1

Thanks Debora! :)

Hi Emily,

I looked at several pictures of the Fairfield and the pieces don't fit like they seem to as shown on the box and the Greenleaf site. I already thought about cutting the trim, but I still think the proportions are off. Nice to know I not trying to put it together wrong. I think I will try and make a large piece so that it slopes out closer to the edge.

By the way, your blog (and a few others) have been so helpful to a newbie like me...thanks! :)

Sue

Ah, yes, those bay roofs! Mine stick out from the side of the house nearly 1/4" and I;m not sure how or if I'm going to fix them. Cut them larger in card first, and twiddle with the pieces until they fit, and then cut them from basswood or scrapwood.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...