NEXT questions

kikiC

Ok. So for the paint on the floor, I ended up scrubbing it off and restaining the area. It worked out pretty well. It does not look exactly like the other parts of the floor but I am sure I am the only one that really notices it. I guess once the furniture goes in, it won't even be a problem for me.

And for my next question(s):

I am trying to dry fit the house. I have managed to check all the tabs and adjusted as needed. But the house does not stay together...do I need to tape it and keep it together as I glue or do I take it apart and start gluing?

Also, in what order do I glue? If I just glue the floor to the front, how does it stay in place?

Finally, do I need to buy clamps, which ones should I get?

Thanks in advance. Despite all my desperation, I am really having fun!

Kim

• Like 1

Yes, use tape to hold it together during dry fitting. Dry fitting gives you a chance to look for areas that will be difficult to finish after gluing so that you can do them first. It also gives you an opportunity to see what the house "wants." Regardless of how many times I've looked at photos of a kit, it's very different once I'm looking at it "in person." That's when I usually get inspired to do things I never planned.

Once you decide you are ready to start gluing, tape will be invaluable for holding pieces together while the glue dries, and yes you may need clamps for some of it. I've used clamps, usually only in the beginning but have seen photos where others have used them a lot. You can get some real tension and pressure with a good masking or painters tape though and I tend to use tape for most things. :)

• Like 2

Good questions! And i remember having similar ones when i started out. As Debora said, i too used the tape to keep the house together both in dry fit and once glued. For me I found useful all types of clamps - sometimes standard binder clips work great, and the dollar store had some that work well too. For larger jobs i got the big clamps from the hardware store, but they can be expensive and i found that creative thinking and tape worked well for a lot. Oh and i also used clothes pins a lot too!

I like to think that the minor imperfections in the house make it more personal and uniqe and i agree that you are the only one who will notice the slight imperfections.

• Like 2

Especially if, like me, you get addicted and have to build more than one kit, you cannot have too mini clamps! Harbor Freigght puts their bar clamps on sale from time to time, and I have a cou[ple of different sizes. Even with tape and staples, especially with rehab houses that have become somewhat warped, the bar clamps hold things together whilst the glue dries.

• Like 1

I was looking through my old Orchid build pics to remember how I started gluing the main structure together... I see that I used duct tape! :p (I would not recommend this now especially if the surfaces that are holding the tape have been prepared in any way...)

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?app=gallery&image=9033

I don't remember how the directions say to do it, but I was adding one wall at a time because I needed a good clear access to finish the wainscoting.

A trick that I use now to make sure that the floor adheses at the right position is to glue in wood scraps as bracer blocks; I did this for the Magnolia to make sure everything remained as square as possible:

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?app=blog&module=display&section=blog&blogid=82&showentry=2445

Wow, my second floor sure was saggy! Since then I have figured out a trick to deal with that (stout trim), and it helps finish the back edge as well; I'm using it in my Tennyson build: http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?app=blog&module=display&section=blog&blogid=82&showentry=2495

As for clamps, I end up doing much of my clamping with strategically-placed masking tape; I showed some of my less-than-conventional methods in a recent blog entry: http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?app=blog&module=display&section=blog&blogid=82&showentry=2494

• Like 1

Thank you all for your valuable insights. I did figure out how to dry fit the house with tape and I am sure glad I did. Like Deborah said today (and many of you have said before), once you see the house it speaks to you. I totally scrapped my plans to have a small kitchen and a living room and decided I would much rather have a nice sized kitchen and a small sitting room. It just seemed like that is what it should be (especially because I have this whole narrative in my head about the lady that lives in this house. Crazy right?).

Now I am thinking about wallpaper fitting and lighting. So I am taking a bit of a break to read about lighting with the kit I bought (thank you Hobby Lobby 40% off coupon) and carefully measuring for wallpaper. Then I will be scared, but I will glue the damn thing together (and maybe purchase some clamps).

More questions to come I am sure.

Have a good night all!
Kim

...once you see the house it speaks to you...It just seemed like that is what it should be (especially because I have this whole narrative in my head about the lady that lives in this house. Crazy right?)... Then I will be scared, but I will glue the damn thing together (and maybe purchase some clamps).

More questions to come I am sure.

Have a good night all!

Kim

See? I keep telling all y'all that if you listen they will speak! BTW, I still haven't found a better source for clamps of all kinds than Harbor Freight, when they have one of their sales.

• Like 1