Orchid windows

kikiC

Hi all. I am super excited because after days of staring at my unopened kit, I finally dove in and started! Today I prepped and painted all the windows and the door. Really cool!

Anyway, here is my question:

After prepping the windows, the next set of directions are to install them. The directions state, " part of the house structure becomes one half of the windowpane. Therefore, the portion of wood surrounding the window opening should be finished as the sashes have been before gluing the sash in place"...could someone tell me exactly what that means? Do I paint the areas around the windows white (as I did the sashes)? Am I then stuck with white on my walls?

Also, although the installation of the windows is next in the directions I have seen many pics that show people building the house structure without the windows in place. I imagine this is for ease of decoration. Is that a better way to go?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!

Kim

See if this helps. If you wait until after the house is built and the decorating's done to install the windows and doors you're less likely to sustain damage to the acetate inserts. Before I paint or prime anything, whilst the house is in dry fit, I take the trims and lay them over the window or door openings and trace around them, I then cut several strips of masking tape into strips 1/4" wide (the width of the trim) to mask off where the glue will go. Whatever area is inside the window trim masking is what I paint to match the trim. I also use white primer, so first I prime and then I paint whatever is supposed to be white. Then I paint whatever color and remove the masking tape when it's dry; or remove the tape and hang the wallpaper. When the wallpaper is dry I cut the window openings (and wash wallpaper paste off of the inside of the glue line). You do whatever works for you.

• Like 1

Tape the window parts in place and you'll see what part of the wall becomes part of the sash and needs to be painted white. Trace it with a pencil, take off the window parts, and you'll see what needs to be painted.

Many of us leave the windows out until very near the end of the build to protect the acetate "glass". Also, Sometimes it is helpful to be able to reach through the window openings while decorating.

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

I feel like a moron now for installing the windows in first! Now I have to work around the windows for wallpapering the interior AND painting is a nightmare since I keep messing up the acetate! I should have checked this website first, before following the instructions exactly. =_=

I feel like a moron now for installing the windows in first! Now I have to work around the windows for wallpapering the interior AND painting is a nightmare since I keep messing up the acetate! I should have checked this website first, before following the instructions exactly. =_=

If you didn't use too much glue, you might be able to remove them. You can always recut acetate and replace what came with the kit. Just a thought, unless you are already too far along.

Tiffany, the windows may not be a lost cause. Try using a smooth wooden something -- manicure orange stick, end of a skinny stick, etc. -- to gently scrape at the paint. It may come off fairly easily. The wood won't scratch the acetate. Protect the acetate with painter's tape before you do any more painting.

I would try removing them as Deborah suggested. What kind of glue did you use? Sometimes gently heating the joint with a hair dryer and inserting a thin, flexible metal blade (like a putty knife or palette knife) will pry them apart. Wiggle or rock the blade back and forth to work its way in. If any bits are broken, then can be glued or replaced.

Tiffany, the windows may not be a lost cause. Try using a smooth wooden something -- manicure orange stick, end of a skinny stick, etc. -- to gently scrape at the paint. It may come off fairly easily. The wood won't scratch the acetate. Protect the acetate with painter's tape before you do any more painting.

I would try removing them as Deborah suggested. What kind of glue did you use? Sometimes gently heating the joint with a hair dryer and inserting a thin, flexible metal blade (like a putty knife or palette knife) will pry them apart. Wiggle or rock the blade back and forth to work its way in. If any bits are broken, then can be glued or replaced.

Thanks. I used a thin coat of Elmers wood glue, when assembling them. The frames themselves are already painted with acrylic, but it has been chipping off.

Ah I see! I figured out a way to work around the windows when wallpapering though! What I did was completely cover the walls with strips of masking tape and make sure everything is flush to the windows and doors. I then peel it off and slap it onto a large piece of paper. Then I cut it all out to make a pattern that I can re use whenever I want to change the wall paper!

Edited by furubafan3
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Ok I have the same inability to see what the instructions mean about part of the wall being part of the window frame. What I have done in the past is paint the outside walls first, wallpaper the inside walls before installing windows. So..........If I place the windows on the frame where they are suppose to be glued I will readily see what part of the wall is the frame??? I can't picture this at all!!! I usually wallpaper right over the entire window on the inside and when the glue dries I cut out the window opening with an exacto knife. If I did this, would part of the window trim appear to be missing as its wallpapered already? I just can't see this at all! :p

Roxy, I lay the outer trim for the window over the window opening and trace around it, mask off the wall outside the trace lines and paint the part inside the tracing to match the rest of the window trim. That way when the window finally goes on all the trim is painted and none of the rest of the wall color or wallpaper shows.

• Like 1

Roxy I don't know if this will help at all but the Magnolia windows are the same and and yes if you put the frame etc on the walls you will see the part that needs to be painted - basically it's the bottom pane on the outside and the top pane on the inside you are creating. When I did the inside I wallpapered the walls then cut the windows, then I painted the parts that need to look like the window, I found after 2 coats you can't see that I have painted over the wallpaper. I also traced the windows on the outside before painting and did my first cost so when I stuck them on I only had to do touch ups.

So If I mess up I could possibly use strip wood of some kind to make the rest of the frames? lol :bangin:

Helen, that's helpful......

basically it's the bottom pane on the outside and the top pane on the inside you are creating

I guess once I get it laid out I will understand better......I hope! Thanks for your suggestions and patience everyone! :)

• Like 1

I guess once I get it laid out I will understand better......I hope! Thanks for your suggestions and patience everyone! :)

Yes, you will. :) I had a hard time envisioning it as well, even after reading stuff here. So I punched out parts for one window,laid them out on the table, then went "OHHHHH!!!" You'll get it!

• Like 2

I think I will prepare the windows but I won't put them in until after I paint and paper. I am way too messy to put them in at the start.
I guess if I mess up I will just have to figure out how to correct the boo boos!!! lol

Me either but the RGT houses are a lot easier to work on as they are mainly very few pieces. I am really messy with the glue so I have learned not to put them in until just before I set the roof on. I see that I have some tiny corners in the dormers of the Orchid to get into. I guess I should paint and paper those before I get it all assembled also. I am seriously hoping I get to Hobby Lobby on Friday. I have been promised a trip down there for months and so far haven't made it.