Favorite Authors

chapchap73

So a few of us were talking via status update about books and authors we like. :bookread: Someone (can't remember who) suggested starting a thread so here goes. I absolutely LOVE reading, can't do it as much as I like because I find it hard to stop once I get going and the family demands food, clean clothes, and interaction...I get quite grumpy when I'm interrupted..sounds a little like minis :hmm: I like a lot of genres mystery, fantasy, occasionally sci-fi..sorry no big technical or computer stuff.

Here are some of my favorite authors:

C.L.Wilson- her books are under romance, but the storyline is awesome if you like fantasy

Anne McCaffrey- she's deceased now, but her son is continuing her work in the sci-fi category

C.S.Lewis - gotta love Chronicles of Narnia; must have read them 50 times

Katie MacAlister- again romance/fantasy..her writing style cracks me up particularly the Aisling Grey series

Agatha Christie- another classic

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle - I would so love to do a Baker Street in mini

Edgar Rice Burroughs- Tarzan and the John Carter series...amazing

Caroline Graham- a wonderful British mystery writer. Midsomer Murders is based on her work

What about you guys?

• Like 3

I used to love to read. I still do, actually, but like you, my family needs attention. When I once forgot to cook dinner and bring the kids in from playing until way after dark... Well, decided maybe it was best I didn't read much! I hate to stop a book, and often have sat and read until I was finished. I also can't read right before bed because of the same reason, I will stay up and read, I don't get sleepy and relax like some people do.

• Like 1

There's not enough bandwidth. Besides the fact that she's one of my oldest friends I like to read the historical fiction Lucia St Clair Robson writes. I also liek (in no paritcular order) Rita Mae Brown, Carl Hiaasen, Walter Mosley, Dorothy Sayers, Robert Benchley, Margaret Truman, J K Rowling, Charles Dickens, Richard Leakey, Stephen Jay Gould, Steven Hawking, O Henry, some Stephen King, Jan Karon, several of those already mentioned... I usually have four or five books going at once; right now I'm reading two Leakeys, one of John Mortimer's Rumpole of the Bailey, a history of the last Inca emporer and a bit of fluff called The Sisters Grimm. Did I ever mention that DH & I used to own a bookstore in Jacksonville?

• Like 2

Ditto Gabaldon, Dorothy Sayers (just finished reading "Gaudy Night" for the umpteenth time), Marion Zimmer Bradley, James Patterson's Alex Cross series, Jonathan Kellerman.... but basically I also read cereal boxes, toilet paper wrappers - if it holds still long enough, I'll read it. :)

• Like 2

I am a read freak. Due to illness keeping me down for much of my first 18 years, I developed a passion for the escape of reading. And I too, read EVERYTHING (meaning cereal boxes, catalogs...). I could list author after author that I think writes great novels and such, but, what about the children's classics that are such a beautiful portrait of how innocent life used to be. Those written by in house writers under the famous names of Laura Lee Hope, Carolyn Keene.....The Bobbsey Twins, Nancy Drew...... I still pick one up from time to time, just to remind myself of how much I used to love these stories. And how about the books of the 40's, Tillie The Toiler, Ann Sheridan, Brenda Starr.....

That being said, my all time favorite book ever: The Shack By William Paul Young. A first time author, wrote the book for his kids, friends said PUBLISH, so he did and the first million copies sold with no advertising. Mr. Young could not have published the book, had an anonymous person, later confirmed to have no clue who he was giving the money to, or why, slipped an envelope of cash in the authors door or on his porch, something like that. Now this book is a commonly heard of work known worldwide.

I have two main areas that I have built up quite a collection. The first is F Scott Fitzgerald. That includes his works and anything about him, Zelda and Scottie. The second is my passion and they are books written about her- Mary Todd Lincoln.

I love to read !! And always have my nose in a book. With my Mom having so many medical issues I read while waiting in the waiting rooms. !! I read mostly romance. Hubby got me a book reader so I download a lot of books from our library for free and can read them while out on my reader. I love it. I love to read books then watch the movie. I have a lot of favorite authors, and a lot of books I will read several times.

Kellee

I also am an avid reader - I read hardcopy books, ebooks (Nook), and listen to them on CD or MP3 while driving - often have 2 or 3 going at the same time. I love a good mystery, don't like smut or bad language, and have many favorite authors. We have subscribed to the Reader's Digest Select Editions for years and I have almost the complete set. I really liked an author they published several times and finally bought one of her books off the shelf. I had no idea she was such a potty-mouth!! RD had cleaned it all up, and I'll never buy another book of hers!

James Patterson, Lee Child (LOVE Jack Reacher :wub: ), Sophia Kinsella, d*** Francis, Dorothy Gilman with her Mrs. Pollifax series ... the list goes on! Loved the Hardy Boy and Nancy Drew stories as a kid. Read all of Louis L'Amour's books. :bookread:

...Loved the Hardy Boy and Nancy Drew stories as a kid. Read all of Louis L'Amour's books. :bookread:

I had most of the Judy Bolton books. I read most of Louis L'Amour, especially his Sackett novels; now I'm also a Larry McMurtry fan.

• Like 1

For sure holly. Judy Bolton was another favorite. Dana Girls, Trixie Beldon, Cherry Ames......I collect books, especially childrens books, so I still have many of the ones I read.

Here's one.......has anyone ever heard of 'O Ye Jigs & Juleps!' I may have spelled it wrong. I believe the author is Virginia Carey Hudson. For anyone who loves Christian humor, this is written for adults really but it is in the form of essays by a ten year old in a private christian school or some such. It is hysterical. Written years ago, it is a bit like 'Junie B. Jones' for anyone who knows her.

And for adult romance......I love Debbie Macomber.

I remember someone giving me a copy of O Ye Jigs and Juleps; it was shortly after I'd gone to my first Trinity Sunday Litany, so I found the book hysterically funny. I have never cared for romance novels, so when wee had our bookstore our manager was the expert on those. Another late author whose works I grab whenever I can find one in English is Rabindranath Tagore. Lately I've been giggling my way through the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency novels; and I've read almost all the Diane Mott Davidson mysteries; I also like Susan Wittig Albert's Beatrix Potter mystery novels.

Reading is one of my great escapes.... It is one of my favorite things to do....

when I was in high school and would bring home bad grades my parents would GROUND me from my BOOKS... LOL... I could go out with my friends, talk on the phone, watch TV... but I couldn't read ANYTHING that wasn't for school... I guess that tells ya how much I loved (and still love) to read... probably the only kid in America that was grounded from reading... ha ha....

My favorite things to read are fantasy (dragons, elves, fae... etc) and paranormal romance... but I will pretty much give anything a chance.... my favorite authors are:

Karen Marie Moning (the AWESOME Fever series and historical/time travel romance with a twist)

Katie MacAlister (Paranormal romance.... vampires... dragons... :)

Jeanine Frost (Paranormal romance)

Robert Jordan (he has passed away.... he wrote the HUGE Eye of the World series which had to be finished by another author)

Julia Quinn and Teresa Medeiros (authors of good old fashioned historical bodice rippers)

(I also pretty much read everything by Kerrelyn Sparks, Lyndsay Sands and Molly Harper... but I wouldn't necessarily call them my "favorite" authors)

I am sure there are more... but those are the first coming to my mind....

I've read too many books by too many authors to list here.

The last one I finished yesterday was by a British author, G.M.Malliet, called A Fatal Winter. It's second in a new series, the first one was Wicked Autumn. I enjoyed both.

Edit: should have mentioned the main character is a handsome Anglican priest who's a former MI5 agent, and he gets caught up in some local murders. He reminds me of Dr. Syn. a.k.a. The Scarecrow of Romney Marsh, in case anyone remembers him.

The next book I have sitting waiting to be read is Storm Front, by Jim Butcher. Anyone remember the show Dresden Files? This is the first book that started everything. The front cover says "Magic and wizardry meet hard-boiled detective fiction ....a whole lot of fun"

Except for Dashiell Hammet's I was never big on hard-boiled detective novels, but I loved the show Dresden Files.

Tracy...im sure the children were just fine...times playing outside after dark are some of my favorite childhood memories:-)

Daphne Du Maurier is an all time favorite author. Two years ago I discovered George R.R. Martin and the Game of Thrones/Song of Ice and Fire series,which is still ongoing and was made into an HBO series. I don't know how it took me so long to find those books, but they grabbed me by the shirt and didn't let go until I had them all read one after the other. He's been described as Americas Tolkien and I think that is an accurate description.

Stephen King is a fave, although for the most part I prefer his earlier work.

Ive been delving into some classic gothic fiction and discovered the old classic Turn of the Screw written in 1898 by Henry James, its one of the scariest books Ive ever read, I loved it. Another recent discovery in that genre was The House Next Door by Anne Rivers Siddons, I believe it was written in the 1960s or 70s, also a page turner.

Im currently reading The History of the Ancient World by Susan Wise Bauer. I love history,I find it fascinating, but of course during my school days it couldn't have seemed more boring.

...C.L. Wilson....

Hi Sarah,

I'm glad you started the thread. I took your suggestion and am almost finished with Lord of the Fading Lands. Am really enjoying the book and looking forward to the rest in the series.

Thanks!

I read so much for work, that when I read for pleasure I prefer fantasy and science fiction. Sometimes I'll read non-fiction or classics, but I usually prefer the mind-candy for pure escapism.

Some fantasy favorites are

Just about anything by Jeanine Frost

Dante Valentine series by Lilith Saintcrow

Jane Yellowrock series by Faith Hunter

Guild Hunter series by Nalini Singh

Chosen Soul Series by Heather Killough-Walden

Rachel Morgan (or Hollows) series by Kim Harrison

Guardian novels by Katie MacAlister

Quantum Gravity series by Justina Robson

Just about anything by Storm Constantine

Elric series vy Michael Moorcock

Snow Queen novels by Joan Vinge (these go under Sci Fi too)

Sci Fi favorites are

Dune (all of it including the son's prequels and sequels) Frank Herbert

Robot Novels by Issac Asimov

Larry Niven (lots of titles)

William Gibson (Snow Crash, Neuromancer, Iduru, Pattern Recognition)

Joe Haldeman

Well, that's a start.

:)

Have two new books to read- "My Beloved World" by Sonia Sotomayor and "The Brontes" by Juliet Barker. "The Bontes" will probably take me as long to read as finishing Morningside Mansion!!

Terry Pratchett, Patrick Rothfuss, George R.R. Martin, and Michelle Sagara are my favorites. Although I have also read Bill Bryson and he's pretty stinkin funny.

So is Patrick F McManus.