Paperclay and Seams

evervescent

Need a little expertise from someone who works with paper clay a lot.

When you're applying paper clay to form walls, or floors for that matter, what is a good technique for hiding the seams?

I've tried wetting the clay and rubbing the seams to try to get rid of them, but it's not working so well.

Seams are a little easier to hide when you're doing a brick or stone wall because you can blend them into the pattern, but if I'm just doing a plaster wall using paper clay, I've got ridiculous seams.

Thanks much.

I've only used paper clay for stone/brick work so I can't directly answer your question because, as you said, it's easy to hide seams in the mortar areas. I wet it a bit when I do that and have no problems.

When I want an all over stucco or plaster look, I use spackling compound.

It seems easier for me. You can make it smooth or rough depending on your preference.

Although, I do try to do a complete wall at a time for either product.

I read somewhere that one way to hide paperclay seams is after you moisten the seams, to take a bit of fresh paperclay on your finger and rub it over the seam. Someone who works with paperclay a lot (TRACY! LINDA!) could tell you if this actually works.

• Like 1

Linda shows some very good pictures on her blog, I believe for the Orchid team build. I'll dig it out tonight and post it.

Basically, as you put the first piece down, smoosh down the edges onto the wood. Then put the second piece on top of the first, and mush those together and blend. (Yeah, you're probably gonna need a picture for that...)

I haven't worked with Paperclay much, only twice but I never had problems with the seams. I just smooched the paper clay together and sort of it pressed/blended and never had any seams. I could have done better with my stone pattern though..lol

Not sure specifically what look youre going for, but some paperclay artists use an old paintbrush with the end of the bristles cut off and pounce the clay with the brush...but that will give a somewhat textured look, but it does press it down nicely. You can also sand the paperclay...which I just looked up...what Alexandra suggested.

Thanks so much for all your suggestions. I was using the paperclay on the interior walls after being inspired by a Rik Pierce tutorial on the web, but next time I think I will go back to using spackling compound for plaster walls and reserve the paperclay for bricks and stones. I will definitely be using the anti-seam tips when I do the bricks and stones though. I think is will go a long way to covering seams there too.