adding music to a dh???

shamrockgirl18

Hi all! I am happily working away on my Little Mermaid grotto. It's only the 2nd dh/scene that I've done from scratch, and it's alot more complicated than the 2 room faerie cottage that I did years ago (that had pre-cut foamcore and paper included b/c it was actually a kit to make a decorative bird house!)

This one I have literally built from the ground up with: styrofoam, floral foam, egg crates, plaster cloth, paint, and genuine seashells plucked from the New Hampshire coastline!

The inside is looking great and I'll post pics as soon as I locate my camera (the outside is still a mess though). I plan to add lights at the top of the cove (blue ones that i saw at Joann Fabrics).

I'd love to add music to this scene that will be 'part' of the scene. I did this with my Wizard of Oz house by hiding a little 16 note music box in the flowers outside- when its wound up, the first few strings of Somewhere Over the Rainbow play. :D

I'd love to add a music clip of Part of Your World to my Ariel 'house', but does anyone know of a way that i could play the movie version of the song so that when people view the scene, they can also hear the song???

Sorry if this a long, complex question. . .

I thought of buying a cheap mp3 player to hide in there somewhere, but then it also needs to be hooked up to speakers, and needs to be switched on and off again. . .anyone know an easier way, or am I just crazy? :banana:

• Like 1

What about the device found in musical greeting cards. I think they are battery operated.

good idea! Now I'll start haunting Hallmark! Do you know of a way to make it play w/o having to open the card (and therefore have the card visible)?

That'd be much cheaper than an mp3 player!

They make light activated recordable modules people use for light activated music boxes. This one will let you use your computer to add music to it.

http://www.amazon.com/RE-Recordable-Light-Sensor-Module-seconds/dp/B007EHLBYG/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

that's amazing! I think i need to look into that!

• 2 months later...

Years ago I had a house with a music-box piano in the living room. The piano had a windup key on the back, which I hid by drilling a hole in the wall (an interior moveable wall) and to play it one had only to open the front of the piano, where the music sits, and that started and stopped the music. Music boxes come is all shapes and sizes and genres, so you might find one you could work into the scene. I have a couple of them that look like flower planters.

Years ago I had a house with a music-box piano in the living room. The piano had a windup key on the back, which I hid by drilling a hole in the wall (an interior moveable wall) and to play it one had only to open the front of the piano, where the music sits, and that started and stopped the music. Music boxes come is all shapes and sizes and genres, so you might find one you could work into the scene. I have a couple of them that look like flower planters.

I used a wind-up music box in my Oz house, but for Ariel's grotto I am haping to somehow play the song from the movie (sung by Jodi Benson).

I haven't completed this idea yet, but I haven't given up either.

• 1 month later...

OK, I ordered this light-activated sound module, but I have yet to make it work. It came with only a little slip of paper with a few directions on it.

I watched the informational video online, and did everything it showed, but I still cant get this thing to work!

Has anyone ever used one of these recordable greeting card sound thingies before? Can anyone help?

I emailed the company, but who knows if I'll hear back from them.

I'd hate to spend $16 on this thing, and get nothing out of it. :(

I bought a portable Memorex radio at Walmart this morning. It is about 2x3or4 inches and about 1/2 inch thick. It was about 10.00. It runs on one AAA battery! I am not particular about what is playing. I wasn't looking for mini recorders, but I think that they had some right next to the mini radios.

I wrote about it on my blog today and someone suggested a pillow speaker as small enough to hide. I am going to try Radio Shack or some place like that. I will keep you posted on what I find out.

I did a hand held tv in one of my rooms about 15 years ago. They are easy to hide too...only the powers that be made it so I could no longer get a picture without a receiver.

• 2 weeks later...

SUCCESS!

Ariel's Grotto now has sound! The little module is tucked inside a treasure chest. When the chest is opened, the module's light sensor reacts and activates the sound- out comes the beginning of Ariel singing "Part of Your World".

I definitely recommend these little modules- I had trouble getting mine to work and the customer service was fantastic. When I still had no luck, they sent me a new one.

If anyone else is interested in this- here's the link to the company-

http://www.invitebyvoice.com/

• Like 2

Erin, that's really neat! Thanks for the link. Thinking about a Hallowe'en house with sound effects ... or ... hmmmmmm!

Oh no, I detect a Spring Fling hint coming.....

SUCCESS!

Ariel's Grotto now has sound! The little module is tucked inside a treasure chest. When the chest is opened, the module's light sensor reacts and activates the sound- out comes the beginning of Ariel singing "Part of Your World".

I definitely recommend these little modules- I had trouble getting mine to work and the customer service was fantastic. When I still had no luck, they sent me a new one.

If anyone else is interested in this- here's the link to the company-

http://www.invitebyvoice.com/

I think this is great and so glad it worked for you. Gonna have to keep this in mind for future builds :)

• 3 weeks later...