Ceilings

jaurbanski

I'm trying to figure all this out...far in advance as I'm getting ready to do lights...but I notice a lot of ppl using ceiling paper. Do you use it on all ceilings? Why do you use it? Replicating a tin ceiling I understand but wasn't sure if there were other reasons...

I almost always use a textured, off-white wallpaper that looks like a plaster ceiling. It's real life wallpaper that I got in a roll at Lowe's a zillion years ago and still have a ton of, it was a good investment!

As for why, it's mainly for convenience. I painted the ceilings of my Fairfield and they warped horribly as a result, so I never want to try that again! Also I like how much quicker it is to glue on paper than to paint, wait for it to dry, woodfill to get a nice smooth finish, paint again, etc. Especially with die-cut plywood I don't like how the grain looks with paint so I prefer to cover it up however I can...

post-7-0-09665200-1361671803_thumb.jpg post-7-0-27963400-1361671951_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

If I can't get a smooth painted ceiling for the reasons Emily mentions, then I will prime the wood with white paint and then cover with plain white drawing paper for a clean look. It's heavier paper but workable, and you can buy it in larger size pads.

• Like 1

I've used the plaster-looking ceiling paper a few times. Like Emily said, it's very easy to use. Also, I like the way it looks, looks like the ceilings in my real house. I've also used some fancy ceiling paper in some fancier rooms. Again, I liked the look. Also, with paper, you can use it to cover your electrical.

But there's lots of different things you can use for ceilings. Textured scrapbook paper, fancy scrapbook paper, spackle (I like to experiment with textures, I've even sprinkled on clear glitter before!), doilies...

• Like 1

On ceilings I've had good results by using a mini roller and several coats. I paint before the floor is installed. Gives a nice finish, is fast and easy, and I can embellish the ceiling or use a fancy paper if I decide the room needs something more.

If I can't get a smooth painted ceiling for the reasons Emily mentions, then I will prime the wood with white paint and then cover with plain white drawing paper for a clean look. It's heavier paper but workable, and you can buy it in larger size pads.

This is a great idea, and I'm going to backtrack and try it on the Orchid.

I also use the textured wallpaper from Lowes. I just like the look of it, adds a bit of visual interest.

It's funny how in real life people really dislike popcorn ceilings, but it looks cute in miniature.

• Like 1

This is a great idea, and I'm going to backtrack and try it on the Orchid.

Removed all the furnishings from the Orchid and papered the downstairs ceilings with the art paper. It made a really nice ceiling. While it was empty, and with 8 months on the board, I redid some trims, added a stone foundation, and removed some of the glue gun gunk to use white glue. Then touched up the nicks, and found some fabric in my sewing supplies that worked for a living room carpet.

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

Yes,thank y'all! These were all such good ideas and techniques! One more-what about a sheet of sandpaper painted white or ivory,to simulate modern popcorn ceilings?As Sam says it is a pain in real life,flaking off as it ages,but in some of my Christmas roomboxes it made a nice,neat finish. I also used textured scrapbook paper in them.Tracy,just the other day I was experimenting and spackled the Ashley's 1st floor ceiling. I would up smoothing it down instead of leaving peaks like stucco,so there isn't much texture to speak of,but I think it looks pretty good and was quick and easy.

Kat,

In the victorian house that i live in now...the walls are not perfect because they are original horse hair walls....i know some ppl replace old walls with wall board. ...for shame :) Thats cool on your Ashley. ..very traditional!

• Like 1

I haven't used ceiling paper because I have made my own textured ceiling using Spackle or dollhouse stucco. Sometimes I've used paper doilies on them for a little bit of decoration. I would suppose a ceiling cover would be a must if wiring. I will certainly like to work on some tin ceiling tiles sometime in the future though!

• Like 2

I almost always use a textured, off-white wallpaper that looks like a plaster ceiling. It's real life wallpaper that I got in a roll at Lowe's a zillion years ago and still have a ton of, it was a good investment!

As for why, it's mainly for convenience. I painted the ceilings of my Fairfield and they warped horribly as a result, so I never want to try that again! Also I like how much quicker it is to glue on paper than to paint, wait for it to dry, woodfill to get a nice smooth finish, paint again, etc. Especially with die-cut plywood I don't like how the grain looks with paint so I prefer to cover it up however I can...

attachicon.gifceiling.jpg attachicon.gifceiling2.jpg

I love that ceiling paper. How big a roll was it? Was it sale, clearance, discontinued? Or did you have to pay RL prices for a RL length of it? I would love to find that paper!

I mix paint with baby powder until it's a medium thick paste consistency & then brush it on the ceilings. Once the ceiling is covered in the "paste" I use a sponge brush & pounce the paint before it dries - gives it a neat textured finish & you can keep pouncing till you get the look & texture you want.

Side note - you have to like the smell of baby powder if you use this method because the the scent lingers for quite awhile!

Not my original idea, I read it somewhere, probably here on the Greenleaf forum :)

Karin, I think plain cornstarch would work beautifully & without the scent! Using the baby powder works great for creating textured ceilings & stucco. Even works to create swirled patterns in the paint if you get the mix to the right consistency & the great thing about it is if there's not enough texture the first time around, you just slop more of the mix on top & pounce or swirl it again. And if there's too much texture in any one area it can be sanded smoother.