Let's be honest, how much do you spend?

AmieO

I probably shouldn't tell you this, Dawn, but I just saw a link recently to a small kiln you can put in the microwave! :secret:

Don't tell me things like that!! Now I'm tempted! I took a course at the Corning Museum of glass and I thought I got it out of my system...

• Like 2

Well I feel better knowing I'm not the only person who spends more on their minis than hair/nails. I don't think I could get away with doing both. Most of my stuff came from Hobby Lobby with the 40% coupon and Ebay auctions. I'm pretty much done furnishing it now I just have to shingle it and put the porch together and I'm all done! Kinda sad, actually.

...I'm pretty much done furnishing it now I just have to shingle it and put the porch together and I'm all done! Kinda sad, actually.

You have all your accessories and the people who will live in your house? Then you're all ready to build another one!

• Like 2

Now that you mention horses, I realize I don't spend anywhere near each month what it used to cost me to board my horse, etc, etc. My girl was retired but it was still very expensive to properly care for her.

We have nine horses right now--two 2-year olds for sale this summer altho I'll hate to see them go. That is an expensive "hobby" and I don't even ride. My daughter trains, jumps and shows. I do the ground manners and baby breaking. Oh yeah--I write checks, lots of checks. I'd have a really nicely furnished minihouse for one month's feed bills, but the horses are worth it. Some are rescues she's turned around.

You have all your accessories and the people who will live in your house? Then you're all ready to build another one!

I have 90% of my accessories, and I don't think I'm going to put people in (though I will be buying a cat to hide a stain on my couch!). I am looking into doing a couple of room boxes before I start another house.

You know when I was building my first dollhouse I couldn't understand why people did roomboxes at all. Why bother I thought, just build a house. Now I understand completely, its part of the journey and guess what I'm building now, yes a roombox. It will of course have people in it as do all my projects right from house 1. I think they help tell the story but I have to add, I make them myself - could never afford to buy them nowadays. The downside is that as you start to make more and more stuff yourself, the more tools you believe you just HAVE to have - so spending just goes on and on.

• Like 1

I can't spend much,usually just the kits,foam core,mat board (yep,I finally bought some),polymer clay, odds and ends,jewlery findings,thrift store and Dollar Tree stuff.

I make most everything,it does make it interesting to just see what you come up with.I make my dolls too,they are fun to create and then you come up with histories and lives for them....

Hmmm... That's a good question. Well let's tote up the numbers for the past few months for the Tennyson, my current build:

- kit, less than a hundred on eBay (I usually don't buy on eBay but I wanted this particular kit)

- basswood, strip wood, and railing components, maybe twenty plus (used up some reward points here)

- paints, around ten

- embossed papers, matboard, jewelry fixtures, lighting components, probably a couple dozen (used some coupons and reward points here too)

So yes, I'd like to say that it's still under two hundred...! :p

I am trying something different with this house for the electrical: buying sockets and bulbs and plugs, and putting together my own lighting fixtures instead of getting the ready-made ones. The power strip and transformer are still expensive though. I am also using reward points and coupons as much as possible, and am going to try to make more of the furniture myself, Kris being a huge inspiration at http://1inchminisbykris.blogspot.com/

I think it's fun to challenge myself to spend as little as possible, though there are some things that I just can't get around buying, like some of the electrical bits...

• 2 months later...

I have finally bought all the furniture for my house, still working on the little odds and ends though. Looking back, I realize I have spent maybe $175 just furnishing and wallpapering this house. And I have a small house, and went with the cheapest stuff I could find that I still liked. It was more than I thought I would be spending, for sure. How much per house do people usually average?

If you don't mind sharing, that is. I don't want to get too personal! :yikes:

Just this month alone I have spent at least $250.00. Now this is unusual for me. I've never spent this much in one month since I started building. But for some reason I kept finding great buys and I just went with it. Mind you now no one item was more than $25.00, but I just kept finding great stuff to add to my stash. Normally I buy maybe one or two things a month and keep it under $50. including shipping. And I've never bought all the furniture for a house at one time. I usually go one room at a time and search (and I mean SEARCH) for the best buy I can find.

I found that when you start the hobby, you spend more because you don't have anything, but as you become more stabilized and your purchases have more focus. More bang for your buck.

Exactly. I spent more when I first started than I ever have since. Because I had nothing I needed everything, tools, glue, paint, wallpaper, wiring, lamps I needed it all. The tools were the things that set me back the most. After that it's just a matter of building a stash little by little.

can you really put a price on sanity?

I really spend more than I can and a whole lot less than I WANT!!!

I tell everyone who is thinking about this hobby....its as expensive as you make it....

Ive painted many a room so avoid wallpaper cost...made a chair from a toilet paper roll so I didnt have to buy one

made printies to avoid buy more expensive items(bread boxes,chairs,dollhouse)

BUT I have some amazing items purchase full price or with coupon or sent to me from loving wonderful friends Ive made by pursuing this hobby I love.

and someday when Im gone...I expect no one will care...and Im ok with that...because while Im here...I got my joy from each and everything

be it made by me or purchased...because THAT is what it is really about!

:bear::bear::bear:

• Like 2