Let's be honest, how much do you spend?

AmieO

Money management is as important in this hobby as time management. My philosophy is that people come first. Real people....its necessary to clarify that around here lol. I know a very talented successful man in this hobby who's wife left him because of both of those factors...so all cute sayings aside....this can be a very serious situation, and its important to have boundaries you set for yourself based on your values.

I think one of the best ways to effectively spend your hobby money is to research ,research , research. Know whats out there available and where to find it and how much it should cost. Visit a dollhouse shop if at all possible because their prices are often negotiable. I wont say anything more about that...except try it and see what happens...

I personally try to stick to around $100 per month for my budget. I can do that because (like someone else mentioned) I don't spend money on getting my nails done or going out to lunch with girlfriends and I equate going to the mall with getting a root canal. If I want something special I use birthdays, and other holidays, no one has to guess what I want, Im very vocal about it :-)

Once several years back I thought I was going to switch hobbies and take up quilting as my main hobby,with dollhouses on the back burner. TO SAVE MONEY. What a joke that was. I soon realized that by the time you buy quality fabrics, patterns and supplies and send your quilt top out to get quilted....ya, I wouldn't be saving any money. I don't think this hobby is any more expensive then the other well known ones. My husband is a gun nut... if you think this hobby is expensive....:ohmy:

• Like 2

Yes, it's slightly less expensive than collecting high end sports cars.

Aiieee! And I'm doing both at the moment. (Putting my husbands dilapidated vintage GTS back together is one of my other current projects.)

I also quilt, but I spent so much on that back in the 00's I could open my own fabric store, and have sworn off buying more until the current pile is gone.

I honestly have no idea what I've spent on DH stuff. I've been in it since I was a teenager, and we're talking decades here. I've got boxes and boxes of furniture and accessories, HoM kits piled high, boxes of wood trim from the store I bought out, small fortune in tools.... I've stopped buying furniture because I just don't remember what I have and I suspect I have too much to fill out my 2 big houses now... but I still pick up small bits and pieces from time to time.

My husband is into saltwater fish. :fish1:

I got a comment recently from my mother about the money I spend on minis. She REALLY wanted me to have a hobby and was so excited when I started building the house. I reminded her that one needs to FILL and COVER the house, not just build it and let it sit there! Ha!

I have collected tools, supplies, and furniture in bits and pieces. If I tried to fill the whole Beacon Hill in one swoop, I would go bankrupt. I'm learning how to be really thoughtful about my purchases and think about what I can make on my own. However, sometimes I've found that it costs MORE to make the piece on my own if I don't have the supplies.

After my mother made the comment, I pointed to my father's "tool room." But, I must admit, it's true that he's acquired his tools over an entire lifetime. It's SO HARD to have the patience to make the rooms and decorate over time, but I'm working on it! I'm relatively "new" to this hobby. Many of the people on this forum have been mini-ing for longer than I've been alive (I mean that in the nicest possible way). I'm reminding myself that I have plenty of time to acquire the know-how and money to keep working on my collection. I know it's easy to get jealous of our buddies who have been collecting for decades, but you will get there one day! Everyone has to start somewhere. :D

• Like 1

Back when I quilted I used remnants of fabric that I had left over from sewing clothes, or else old clothes that I cut pieces out of; I backed them with old but still serviceable bedsheets and I had a humongous wood hoop, like a giant embroidery hoop, that I used to stitch the layers together; sort of like my grandmother did it...

• Like 1

I haven't kept tabs but I have spent a lot over the years. I have been trying to take more control now but it hasn't been all by free will. My husband has been dealing with some medical issues for some time now and we have had to budget ourselves more closely. Long gone are the days I could order all I wanted from mini catalogues but I actually enjoy my mini time more now. When I can order something for my dollhouses, I seem to savor the moment much better...lol

I don't furnish the houses I build, but I do track the cost of materials and lighting. So far I have spent about $9,800 on building materials for the modern Tudor. That total covers the past 4 and a half years I have been working on it. I have about $1,200 to go before its done.

• Like 1

Back when I quilted I used remnants of fabric that I had left over from sewing clothes, or else old clothes that I cut pieces out of; I backed them with old but still serviceable bedsheets and I had a humongous wood hoop, like a giant embroidery hoop, that I used to stitch the layers together; sort of like my grandmother did it...

I'm a scrapquilter, too,Holly. And I too,do my own handquilting. It's very soothing.

Over the years I have purposely not kept track of total purchases , just here and there I know I spend $5,10,25,50,75,100, and sometimes a bit more if necessary ( whatever I could afford at any given time) I try not to think about totals because I know it would be truly scary !!! But I know when we had financial hard times I bought less and learned to make stuff. And I also have to say that being creative is more satisfying than just buying everything.Though there are a few things I would love to have that I can't afford ( like a bigger R.L. house to keep my minis in ha ha) , and haven't learned to make yet. I try to limit my purchases to things out of my capabilities, or collectables

• Like 1

I do keep track of my receipts, mainly because that's the way I tick. But I like to know how prices change over time, and in the case of wanting to sell something I'd like to be able to calculate how much I put into it - monetarily anyway. I don't have a budget for minis, but I do try to be careful in my spending. The company I work for started a Bonus Program a couple years ago, and the bonus was paid with a gift card. It never hit the bank, DH never saw it - sounded like mini-money to me! That keeps me striving to do my best on my job, and keeps me shopping for something special in the mini community. I make as many items as I can, and that tally is growing as my skills increase, but the expense does add up.

On the flip side, I'm not paying for a psychiatrist, I'm not paying country-club dues to go golfing, - I don't drink or smoke - there are so many other things I could be spending money on that I don't. So Happy Mini-ing! :)

• Like 2

I have to keep track of my expenses for tax purposes and I rarely spend more than $20 or $30 at a time on supplies. Family expenses take up nearly all of my budget now, but my tax return is usually over $5,000, so I splurge a little around this time of year. Displaying at mini shows also accounts for more than half of my mini budget for the year. Building houses is a little more expensive than motorcycle vacations, but not as expensive as salt water fishing (one of my other favorite pass times I had to give up). It's definitely cheaper than a psychiatrist, and a lot more productive than cable tv, video games or sitting around a bar.

• Like 1

I am now a non smoker as of Jan. 1st so I have increased my budget!! Outside of all the obvious benefits, this is a little enticement to keep going. I do find that my lack of creativity is a hinderence to making my own things for the dollhouses, never looks like my "vision"! Was a lot easier to shop online for 1:12 as far as selection and being able to find bargains. But because of space have turned to 1:24. Will be furnishing more from kits. I find I need to be more patient in letting the ideas for rooms develop so I can be more selective in my choices. Don't have anymore room in my very large plastic tub!

• Like 1

My budget is drastically reduced since I retired but I still save up and buy high end stuff that I can't make because I don't have the tools or the skills - I just do it less often. If my budget was unlimited I would spend so much time buying wonderful stuff, I'd have no time to build or make anything so I'd be a collector rather than a miniaturist and that doesn't really appeal.

Talking of what I would buy if I had the money, this site is where most of it would go:-

http://www.desirelafuente.com/INGLES/sofas_and_armchairs_1.html

Oh, my, Jo ... what lovely furniture and accessories! The room settings are exquisite!

But to address the topic of the thread: when I began this hobby addiction, I purchased nearly everything. Then my Dad's craftsman genes kicked in, and now I make a great deal of the furniture and accessories.When I was in the dollhouse shop the other day, I wasn't looking for items to purchase as much as I was soaking in inspiration for things I could do myself. I love all of the suggestions that come up on this forum when someone is challenged. As was pointed out in another thread, we're a very creative mob!

• Like 1

I kept a spreadsheet on my first dollhouse the McKinley and was astounded at the amount of money I spent. Each room could easily be about $100. When I realized what I was spending, I quit keeping track as I was so shocked. And the McKinley isn't even finished yet.....but are they ever? Purchasing the kit is the inexpensive part. It can be an expensive hobby and just starting out with tools, supplies etc. added to the expense. I now allow a monthly amount of approx. $50. I tend to live on Ramen noodles as my other "hobby" is animal rescue and riding. Horses are very, very expensive.

I kept a spreadsheet on my first dollhouse the McKinley and was astounded at the amount of money I spent. Each room could easily be about $100. When I realized what I was spending, I quit keeping track as I was so shocked. And the McKinley isn't even finished yet.....but are they ever? Purchasing the kit is the inexpensive part. It can be an expensive hobby and just starting out with tools, supplies etc. added to the expense. I now allow a monthly amount of approx. $50. I tend to live on Ramen noodles as my other "hobby" is animal rescue and riding. Horses are very, very expensive.

Now that you mention horses, I realize I don't spend anywhere near each month what it used to cost me to board my horse, etc, etc. My girl was retired but it was still very expensive to properly care for her.

I couldn't even say how much i've spent, but i know it's a small fortune. i have alot of dollhouses, some high dollar kits and i have alot of bespaq furniture

not to mention all the accessories and building supplies. ;)

i'm a single woman with no kids tho, so i haven't felt bad about the amount of money i've put into such an awesome hobby! I don't think i'd ever go back and total all the $ i've spent. ;) it's just a hobby that i enjoy!

I agree. If we all totaled up how much we have spent on petrol, holidays, nights out, or anything else for that matter, I think we would be equally horrified. Best not to think of the cost, just the pleasure dollhousing brings - she says with a soppy grin on her face.

I just wanted to say CONGRATS to Janet :-) That's so awesome, and to use the money you save... on minis is the perfect way to stay motivated:-) Im not comparing it to the challenges of a smoking habit, but I kicked a Diet Coke habit last year and have definitely saved $$ from that :-)

• Like 2

I find most of my stuff at garage sales, Craigslist, and thrift stores. I usually spend the most money once a year at Ernie's 40% off sale.

Other than that, it is mostly $10-$40 a month at the hardware store (paint, stucco wood, tape, and so on). I have also used the coupons at Hobby Lobby for a few furniture sets.

I have all the houses I want and need, and now it is just a matter of furnishing them slowly for the rest of my life. I am utilizing my old scrapbook supplies, and I am making some of my own furniture. It is fun challenge to make your own. I only buy the things that I know I cannot make.

Initially I created a spreadsheet to keep track of costs but it didn't last long. I decided I didn't want to know and that was the end of that! For a long time I maintained, I don't make - I collect. That's gone out the window too! My first stab at making mini furniture arose when I needed two tables for The Tearooms 2" square. They were nowhere to be found so...........with some balsa and four spindles I made a table. I was so pleased with it (lol) I've made more since.

Occasionally there are items and accessories that while expensive are very do-able with a bit of thought. I'm game now to have a go.

Jo - that furniture is fabulous. The only thing is, all the other stuff would have to be high end too - on the other hand, I've have some balsa, a piece of fabric............ :lol:

• Like 2

It's nice to read everyone's comments about our wonderful "hobby". And all of you that are able to share your lives with horses and pets are so lucky! Several years ago I had the good fortune of meeting 3 of the most wonderful horses that helped me get through a very stressful time in my life. That Christmas Eve my husband got me the best gift ever (we weren't supposed to exchange gifts that year) but when we got to the place where my 3 horse friends were boarded he told me to check in the trunk of our car first. When I did there was a paper bag and inside was a curry comb and brush! It was the best gift and I got to use it for almost a year on my 3 friends before they moved away. I will never forget the special bond I had with Buckey, Pez and Mina!

In the meantime, it's nice to read what others have to say about miniatures. I also spend time on research of period decorating and I have found that this is such a creative experience for me and like so many others find such enjoyment in this pastime! Now my husband is getting interested in remote controlled planes so we laugh about me with my dollhouse and now him with his model aircraft!!!!!

This is such an inspiring forum!

• Like 1

...Now my husband is getting interested in remote controlled planes so we laugh about me with my dollhouse and now him with his model aircraft!!!!!

This is such an inspiring forum!

Is it one inch scale?! Think of the possibilities! :)

I have been doing a variety of craft for about 20 years. This includes sewing, quilting, jewelry, scrapbooking, candlemaking, painting (oils, acrylics, watercolors, sumi inks), embroidery, knitting, crochet, and many more. Essentially any craft not involving a kiln (only because I don't have one).

So obviously, I've spent a LOT of money on crafting. The good news is, I can use these in my mini making and moreover minis take up so much less room than all my other crafts. In crafting I have probably spent at least $2,000 a year for a number of years. In my defense, I was constantly crafting to make gifts for family and friends. So I would spend all of this time on something and give it away. Most of the time they would appreciate it (sometimes not).

When I started making dollhouses (just a few years ago) I was actually saving money. At least that's what I told my husband!

Now that I am spending my time, energy and effort on dollhouses I feel better because they are so uplifting and beautiful! So the money is worth it! But seriously, like others, I try to save money by making my own items, using coupons, etc.. I have no idea how much I've spent on a single dollhouse but I instead try to give myself a limit for each month. Right now I spend about $100-$200 a month, but its usually closer to the lower end. I am also fortunate that I can afford to spend that much.

I say, enjoy your time with minis and dollhouses and remember that it isn't a race to the finish, its a way to bring happiness in your life.