Let's be honest, how much do you spend?

AmieO

I have finally bought all the furniture for my house, still working on the little odds and ends though. Looking back, I realize I have spent maybe $175 just furnishing and wallpapering this house. And I have a small house, and went with the cheapest stuff I could find that I still liked. It was more than I thought I would be spending, for sure. How much per house do people usually average?

If you don't mind sharing, that is. I don't want to get too personal! :yikes:

I don't think I want to know how much I have invested in this hobby/addiction.

I'd have to quit if I knew.

It's a very expensive addiction even when you make a lot of the items yourself.
The supplies to create with aren't cheap these days even down to just needing another bottle of glue or something simple like that.

Yikes !!!

• Like 2

Well, on my current project I've got all the Miss Lydia Pickett furniture already through a club where I paid a set amount each month. The kit, the lights, the extras will add to the budget. I also prefer the nicer wallpaper than the internet printed or scrapbook papers, so I will spend a little extra to get something better. It's more than I actually want to spend on a dollhouse...but in the long run I will be happy.

• Like 1

Yeah, I don't think I really want to think about that...

I do have a limit I'll spend on houses/kits - $100. The BH was the most expensive, at $135, that was before I set my limit. I try to keep them below $50. Then it's easier to justify spending more on the inside.

Glancing inside my BH, I probably have more than $150 in just the bedroom, and the kitchen is close to $100... And I bought everything at bargain prices! :0

• Like 1

To give you an idea, I spent $300 on a set of 4 1/24" dolls (they were very nice dolls). Of course I was still working then, but that's still alot of $$. I used to keep track and I found that when you start the hobby, you spend more because you don't have anything, but as you become more stabilized and your purchases have more focus. More bang for your buck.

• Like 2

To give you an idea, I spent $300 on a set of 4 1/24" dolls (they were very nice dolls). Of course I was still working then, but that's still alot of $$. I used to keep track and I found that when you start the hobby, you spend more because you don't have anything, but as you become more stabilized and your purchases have more focus. More bang for your buck.

I hope you are right and i will start spending less one of these days. lol I don't want to know how much I have spent yet since i haven't completed one DH yet lol

The range from one person to another's disposable income is so vast, I think it would be very hard to set a mid-point figure. Some people here might laugh or cry at our annual fun-money budget, and others might think I'm livin' the sweet life. We do set a maximum for hobbies, because it is very easy to spend a lot with so many beautiful fun things available.

If you furnished most of your place for under $200, you did fantastically well.

I try to cut costs by making the things I know I can from scratch, using kits when it's more cost-effective than buying the material (because those don't tend to come in mini portions), and buying the items pre-made that don't fall into either category. Also, keep in mind that most of us furnish and decorate our houses over long periods of time. For example my beacon hill is still not completely decorated, but I have bought most of what I will need. Those items and building supplies were purchased over a 3 year span. I do my best to shop around for what I'm wanting, and never hit the craft stores without a coupon in hand.

• Like 1

I've put myself on a monthly budget so I don't get carried away. I buy my house kits directly from Greenleaf, so I pay a bit more, but I know they back up their products and I haven't been disappointed yet. I love Bespaq, JBM, etc furniture, but I buy those pieces via eBay auctions and set a limit for each piece after researching what the retail cost is, so I've gotten lots of half scale furniture bargains this way, but I've also been collecting pieces for over a year. I also buy furniture kits and make it myself. As I get more and more experience doing this work I find myself "seeing" how I can make something that catches my eye and will be trying my hand at creating pieces more. Basic supplies aren't cheap, but if you take care of your tools, and shop sales (and use coupons) you will keep costs down.

I also don't believe a house has to be completely furnished to be interesting so I'm not as determined to get "every little thing" for inside the house.

I am finding that this can be a very expensive hobby but I am trying to buy items when I have a coupon or there is a sale. I'm trying to take it slow if that is possible but since I am decorating as I build I do have to order things upfront. Especially since I decided to replace all or most of the doors and windows in my Garfield it's adding up. I did a lot of measuring so just ordered a few doors and windows that I can use as templates so I didn't have to order them all at once.

It's a fun hobby and can and will take a long while to finish but the way I look at it.......I'm not spending money on getting my nails or hair done or going out to expensive restaurants (we have delicious meals at our house) so........I'm trying to not feel too guilty about my miniature hobby! :)

I like Havana Holly's definition of a hobby!!! I've kept a record of my mini purchases for my two dollhouses and it is not very mini at all.

I do set a monthly limit to what I spend - In addition to watching for things on e-bay, using coupons and sales, and making things from kits or from tutorials, I also have gotten my family into the mindset of giving me minis or gift certificates for birthdays and Christmas.

My miniatures are my only selfish outlet in life. Everything we spend money on is centered around family life. Some months I spend zero and work with what I have. Birthdays, I try to buy miniatures. I buy what I need here and there but work especially hard to learn how to make things myself. I have spent as little as $40 on a house and as much as $8000. The $8000 house was worth it in many ways but is not my favorite. My favorite probably has a few hundred in it but that's divided out over 35 years and it's still growing.

Have fun letting houses grow slowly.

Target who will get them when you are gone and realize you are creating treasures. Put the money in skiing and if you're lucky you'll have a cast to show for it. A dollhouse can last many lifetimes.

Never let someone tell you it's a waste of money.

And my favorite piece of advice: It's cheaper than therapy.

Good question Amie!

I'm with Holly as well although I can think of a few more expensive hobbies. That being said, I do try to cut costs whenever possible. Just don't get super cheap tools as you will end up replacing them often.

Yes, it's slightly less expensive than collecting high end sports cars.

I gave myself a challenge about a month ago. I figured if this was going to be a hobby, then I should make it such from start to finish. I am making all the furniture for the 1/2 scale house that will be arriving in the next week or so. I've done a parquet floor in a basketweave design, made the fireplace to scale based on the one in my RL house. It has not cost me very much money-wise, but a lot of time. That is the whole point of the hobby to me. Not how much I spend, but what makes me happy. If you want to spend money on golf, boating or skiing, etc. - then go for it. A hobby should be something that makes you happy and keeps you sane and grounded.

I like Havana Holly's definition of a hobby!!! I've kept a record of my mini purchases for my two dollhouses and it is not very mini at all.

I do set a monthly limit to what I spend - In addition to watching for things on e-bay, using coupons and sales, and making things from kits or from tutorials, I also have gotten my family into the mindset of giving me minis or gift certificates for birthdays and Christmas.

I'm with Holly as well although I can think of a few more expensive hobbies. That being said, I do try to cut costs whenever possible. Just don't get super cheap tools as you will end up replacing them often.

DH collects sstamps and coins...

...Have fun letting houses grow slowly... realize you are creating treasures...Never let someone tell you it's a waste of money... It's cheaper than therapy.

YES!!!

...It has not cost me very much money-wise, but a lot of time. That is the whole point of the hobby to me. Not how much I spend, but what makes me happy...A hobby should be something that makes you happy and keeps you sane and grounded.

You said it better than I!

It's kind of funny we even ask ourselves this question (no offense AmieO). This is one of the most creative hobbies I've ever found. I use all types of craft skills creating the houses, interiors, exteriors, landscaping, etc. I spend countless hours researching clothing styles, period influences, colors, architectural details, interior layouts, even appliances. Sometimes I get lost researching and learning about a particular artist. This pastime broadens and opens the mind. Obviously one needs to live within one's means, but considering everything you can get from this hobby it's a bargain. :)

• Like 1

Debora, I absolutely agree, it's funny we discuss money. But my strong opinion on why is that very few non miniaturists see the value in what we do. Back when I was a very involved and known miniature bear artist my work started at over $100. It was amazing the number of people who figured I got $5 or $10 per bear. And my work is honestly cute and high end craftsmanship. It's not uncommon to get negative comments from people who don't get it.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

• Like 2

I have limited funds for fun, make a lot from scratch, use found items and leftovers, but it's cheap compared to many other hobbies. Doing it a bit at time helps, as they are never really done. My Orchid probably ran about $100--getting the kit, tools, supplies, etc., after a 30 year break from minis. I have since built 4 buildings, and have maybe $150 invested because I bought some power tools as my hands aren't what they once were.

I would probably still be carefully thrifty if I had more to spend.

Coupons forever!

• Like 3

Debora, I absolutely agree, it's funny we discuss money. But my strong opinion on why is that very few non miniaturists see the value in what we do. Back when I was a very involved and known miniature bear artist my work started at over $100. It was amazing the number of people who figured I got $5 or $10 per bear. And my work is honestly cute and high end craftsmanship. It's not uncommon to get negative comments from people who don't get it.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Yes, it does. My own sister, and we love each other dearly and are very close, doesn't understand the attractions of miniatures for me and has made some disparaging remarks, including the word "ridiculous." Sigh.

Now this is a touchy question in this household. When I was working and had the beginning of my "addiction" start with 1" scale, my DH didn't realize the prices because I never came home with the sales slip. With retirement, and my love of 1/2" scale, I am crafting my furniture and accessories.(which I like doing) I just have to stay off Craig's list/Ebay for a little while. Miniatures

help me cope with the day to day challenges of having a very large family. :bangin:​ I find it very rewarding and worth the expense.

Gail :bear:

• Like 1

You are so right Sergio. I like to also think that someday, when I am gone, someone will appreciate the work I have done. And if I can leave a few smiles behind, that feels good.

I have only the little children that are fascinated with my miniatures. I have one grown child who is into trains who does understand the cost and time invested as well as the fascination factor but isn't into this type of scale at all.

But I'm pretty sure that the day after I'm buried, there will be a dumpster parked outside with a ramp from the 2nd story and not only all my miniature stuff but all my other ba-zillion hobbies will be given the heave-ho. It will be too much work for them to try to sell anything and they won't want any of it. The little guys might think they want it now, but they will probably lose interest as they get older and be just as their parents are.

I've had to accept that and just enjoy what I do while I do it for what it's worth to me in enjoyment, stress reduction, creative outlets, etc.