How did you cut down a HW staircase for a Fairfield?

raspberry

For my Fairfield my husband cut them on his mitre saw :) . He cut from the underside to the front to avoid splinters.

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?app=gallery&image=62408

See my gallery :)

TKS SOO MUCH!!! Yours is the one I covet!!! :) I would love to make mine look half as good! Thanks for the tip, I will have to enlist DH and his tools!!!

I had the same problem with the Litchfield stairs. I made my own with matboard, woodsies and some balsa strips.

Oh I wish I were this good, I just have NO skill at building anything that doesn't come with instructions and pre-cut parts!!! :p

Guest Happy Heart

I did the same thing. Asked hubby to cut it down for me.

I'm an independant builder. If I decide to resize, I use my own miniature table saw :lol:

• Like 1

I worry I will mess it up and have to buy another one!

Just measure, measure, measure. And if you make a mistake you can probably glue some layers on (for treads). The other thing to do is make a paper model first so you make your mistakes with card stock, not the wood. :)

I always worry I'll mess something up!

• Like 1

I thought I'd be hopeless at building one myself, but just decided to go for it! I used the houseworks stairs for a tracing guide so all I had to do was cut out two sides and then glue the woodsies pieces to each one. I added some reinforcement strips of maboard to the back and cleaned up the edges with spackle and gesso. They are not perfect, but the look I was going for was worn farmhouse so it works.

Try it! The worst that could happen is you'll hate them, but you're only out the cost of a piece of matboard.

I used the kit stairs to make a pattern for stringers to make a flight of stairs to the third floor and used scrapwood, also for the treads and risers; I used turned toothpicks for balusters and a skinny length of stripwood for a banister.

I'm just cutting the opening in the floor a bit bigger (and reducing the wall that meets the stairs by the appropriate amount too). You can do that using a sharp craft/stanley type knife. Will need to cut a hole in the attic floor too for the second stairs.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I know this is an old thread, and the problem has already been solved, but I cut the openings in the floor wider to use the HW stairs. I also turned the stairs around to face the other way (from back opening). I cut a hole in the attic floor so I could have stairs all the way up.

You can see how it turned out here: http://jennsminis.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/ffstairsrailings.jpg

for the rest of the blog post about it here: http://jennsminis.wordpress.com/2012/07/07/fairfield-roof-and-trim/

• Like 1