Beacon Hill Builders: The Next Generation

Blondie

Ooh, Kathie, I do love the door. I was planning to stain mine too, but my trim may end up white. I love the entry way area on the Claremont house. Wish I could figure out a way to do that, I may think some more...

And I love the little doo-dad you found, may have to look around.

gallery_3297_4180_142534.jpg

• Like 2

The door looks fantastic!

Also, Elize, just remember to put on the shingle trim BEFORE you make the template or put on the shingles. Gina said it's hard to keep that roof trim down on the edges, so you will want to glue and tape it down before shingling. I'm going to put my shingles directly on the house (except for that one really tight part). It will be a long time though because that's probably one of the last things I will do.

I'm now officially afraid of the dormers, everyone. Oh my. But I can do it!!! (one day)

I've been researching some flooring options for the house. I found out that Menard's also has little wooden doodads we could use for trims or inserts. Yay! I made a paper template of the lower right room floor. I took it to my father to show him to talk about flooring, and he said, "THAT'S the floor???" He thought it was HUGE! Yes, yes it is. I don't think people realize how "deep" the Beacon Hill is.

Oh, here is another tip! Gina actually has all of the dollhouse room measurements on her blog. GINA YOU ARE MY HERO! Scroll down here to see the Beacon Hill rooms. These might be helpful if you're ordering something online: http://moreminis.blogspot.com/2009/02/dollhouse-measurements.html

The hard part about the dormers is their little roofs made up of slats that have to be measured just so...or there will b gaps. If you approach it with caution (not like I did) and measure twice or three times before you make cuts, youll b fine:-)

Yesterday I sorted through the lights in my stash and auditioned some for use in the Beacon Hill. Nothing is definite yet, but at least the jumble of lights and electrical components has been sorted. The only room fixtures I'm sure about are the dining room and entry hall chandeliers. Since I have very little furniture for this house, I don't know where other lights should be located.

I think I'll focus on finishing the exterior before working on the interior. We'll be leaving New Orleans in a few weeks, so the house will have to wait until we return in the fall. I'd love to come back to see the exterior finished. The only light that will be installed will be the porch light because of the siding issue. The rest can wait.

(Having made that statement, I must admit that I bought a sheet of 1/32 birch to use for the wainscoting in the entrance hall. Don't be surprised if that room gets some attention.)

Last night I sanded while the Super Bowl was on. The tower is ready to assemble. I think I'm going to make it removable. I want a light in there, but not sure whether it will be a chandelier that hangs down into the floor below or will be unseen LEDs that will lend a glow. Having the tower removable will aid in installation.

I popped the first of the roof pieces into place. It needed a bit of shaving along the sides by the chimney because of the Spackle adding some thickness, but other than that, it went in like a dream. It is the kind made of thin wood with a cardboard backing. (I thought about someone mentioning that the old style roof pieces had to be dampened and wrapped around a coffee can to get the bend and how not much coffee comes in cans any more.)

Note to self: the scraps from the roofing sheets is think and flexible and would also be a good background for the wainscoting, maybe better than the 3/32 birch. No photos - will take some later today.

...(I thought about someone mentioning that the old style roof pieces had to be dampened and wrapped around a coffee can to get the bend and how not much coffee comes in cans any more.)...

true...not easy finding a metal coffee can these days in the larger size especially

We buy our large cans of dark roast Arabica coffee from Wally World.

I have a question for any of you that have furnished a Beacon Hill. Which size furniture are you using 1/2" or 1" ? Some of your houses look so full with furniture but I am finding some of the pieces I buy to be too large or not the right scale. Especially in the kitchen, I have had the hardest time trying to get much of anything in there. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated....

Hi there Kim...sounds like you've discovered one of the most frustrating aspects of this hobby...the way 1:12 and 1:24 furniture and accessories (and yes, even dollhouse)size standards are OPEN TO INTERPRETATION by artists and manufacturers. The Beacon Hill takes 1:12 scale furniture, sometimes called one inch scale or full scale (well I use that term, maybe Im the only one). the kitchen is notoriously small in the BH that is why so many people create an addition on that side. Im not that talented, but I did find that Chrysnbon furniture kits work well in that space. They are available on ebay and dollhouse shops, or do a google search for them.

I also found the use of shelving really helpful in the small kitchen space. http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/uploads/gallery/album_3035/gallery_185_3035_2809928.jpg

This is a picture of a Chrysnbon kit icebox and a phoenix model stove kit in the kitchen both worked well size wise. I had to make my own worktable...and that would be an option...making your own furniture is easier than it sounds,if interested I recommend Venus Dodge miniature books for simple furniture patterns that real people (non carpenter types)can accomplish.

I do not keep to scale because my options are to few here. But that makes my dollhouse look more like a DOLLhouse and not like a mini-real house like all the other peoples' beacon hills. I really wish I had your trimmings and furniture - but, am still enjoying what I am doing. I will upload two pics quickly as I have installed lighting and the bathroom is pretty much done except for the middle window.

• Like 1

I used Reutter pieces in my BH kitchen, because this is supposed to be a fancy house. I bought an unfinished work table and finished it, and that all fits in nicely.

I'm actually having the opposite issue, even with 1:12 furniture, I feel like I have a lot of empty space in mine! Once I get stuff and accessories, it should look a lot more full.

Thanks for all of your replys. I have been working on my BH off and on for probably 3 years (in between life) It has been both challenging and rewarding. I am in awe of so many of the BH that have been built. I love the shabby finish on yours Karin. I can't seem to master that although I have tried. I would love to do a smaller house in shabby chic but I wnat to finish the Beacon before I start on any more. I haven't taken any "progress" pictures but have taken a few pictures here and there. I will see if I can get some posted later on. Thanks again for all of the suggestions. I will see what I can come up with whenever I can get back on my build.

Thanks for the compliment Kim, I appreciate that, Ive also been working on mine since 2010 off and on. Id love to see pictures of your house.

Tracy, Ive found in those deep BH rooms that area rugs help to define and break up the large spaces...just a thought :wave:

Karin, your Beacon Hill is absolutely gorgeous..

Tonight I have been working on the towerroof. It is finally put together and in place. I am in doubt whether to glue it down or leave it so it can come off again. For the moment I will leave it unglued to put the windows in..

The whole outside is now ready and I will start putting in the tower winders, dormer windows, trim etc.. Hope to get that finished soon, so I can start on working on the inside!!

I love Jacarandas too! When we lived in California we saw many of them there. Now that we're in Arizona though and live in a "planned community", I don't think this tree is on our approved list. We're using natives and drought tolerant plants here but oh how I remember the beauty of the Jacarandas! Love everyone's ideas in the forum.

• Like 2

Thanks Louise....I just wanted to say that I glued mine down but when I did, I got it a fraction of a tiny bit off center, and it drove me crazy until I broke the glue joint to straighten it...mine will stay unglued. Its such a heavy piece its not likely to fall, especially if its tacked on with a little tacky wax.

Dollhouse furniture, like real life furniture (1:1 scale), comes in such a variety of sizes that I gave up and make almost all my furniture now.

I also gave up, and just turn a blind eye if the sizes are not correct.

I am MAD at every one of you! I decided to read this topic because I simply wanted to relax. I don't like the Beacon Hill, I told myself, so I am safe. Ha! The more I read, I just had to go check it out in the Greenleaf Store, real fast like, ya know? MAD, MAD, MAD I tell ya! What are you all thinking, making me want a house I can't afford and don't have room for?!

Thank you my forum friends for inspiring me even when I don't want to be. You are all amazing people and this is the kind of peer pressure everyone should be so blessed and lucky to have.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1