Beacon Hill Builders: The Next Generation

Blondie

Hmmm ... now that I'm seeing the square pillars on the Claremont House porch, I'm rethinking the cake pillars. It will be interesting to see what I decide to do. I don't have a clue at the moment! I really do build by the seat of my pants, to garble a clichéd phrase! :LOL:

Kathie, I, for one don't remember how I managed that section of the roof. Or any of the roof. I remember tears and pain and a lot of masking tape and staples. Other than that my mind has kindly blocked it out for me, similar to the way our minds blocks out the pain of child birth.

• Like 3

Hmmm ... now that I'm seeing the square pillars on the Claremont House porch, I'm rethinking the cake pillars. It will be interesting to see what I decide to do. I don't have a clue at the moment! I really do build by the seat of my pants, to garble a clichéd phrase! :lol:

I think either would look good for porch posts. The pillars would make it look NOLA, but the square posts are true to form too. But, the cake pillars require less sanding... :)

No, I wish!! :) Mine will never be done...

Tracy always makes the prettiest things... I would love to see her do a BH with paperclay... <swoon>

I noticed yours still need some last trimmings and things. Cant we inspire you to finish it off now that so many of us are tackling the BH?

Kathie, I, for one don't remember how I managed that section of the roof. Or any of the roof. I remember tears and pain and a lot of masking tape and staples. Other than that my mind has kindly blocked it out for me, similar to the way our minds blocks out the pain of child birth.

Karin, this is NO way to inspire the lot of us who still need to tackle that...... hehehehe :badmood: The stairs was already a nightmare.

• Like 2

I noticed yours still need some last trimmings and things. Cant we inspire you to finish it off now that so many of us are tackling the BH?

I have a Harrison to finish (start!) for someone else, so as soon as that one is done, it's back to my Beacon Hill! I've been working on projects for others for about 15 months now, so it is feeling very neglected. :( Soon!!

In the whole of Pretoria there is only one house that really fits the dollhouse bill. It was an old Farmhouse and people are referring to it as the ghosthouse of Elarduspark.

42633763.jpg

Notice the purple Jacaranda tree in the backround. Its Pretorias trademark - the whole city is filled with them.

• Like 3

In the whole of Pretoria there is only one house that really fits the dollhouse bill. It was an old Farmhouse and people are referring to it as the ghosthouse of Elarduspark.

42633763.jpg

Notice the purple Jacaranda tree in the backround. Its Pretorias trademark - the whole city is filled with them.

Awesome house! I love the purple trees!

Karin, this is NO way to inspire the lot of us who still need to tackle that...... hehehehe :badmood: The stairs was already a nightmare.

You thought the stairs were bad....I didn't even mention the dormer windows :groucho: mwahahahah....

Those purple trees are gorgeous:-)

Btw...my kit was an older one,bought on ebay. I think they make the newer BH kits with a different wood (for the roof) one that bends easier. The old kits it was just the regular kit wood and I had to soak it and wrap it around a coffee can to get it to bend before trying to put it on. At least that's what I heard, someone with a new kit plz correct me if Im wrong.

Jumped all over the Beacon Hill today, from painting to sanding -- a LOT of sanding -- and painting. Can't find a couple of pieces of the porch base, which was to have been today's task. They'll turn up. Meanwhile, there's a lot more to do. Pictures in my GL Galley and more on my blog, as usual.

Btw...my kit was an older one,bought on ebay. I think they make the newer BH kits with a different wood (for the roof) one that bends easier. The old kits it was just the regular kit wood and I had to soak it and wrap it around a coffee can to get it to bend before trying to put it on. At least that's what I heard, someone with a new kit plz correct me if Im wrong.

Yes the new kids are different, the back is covered in a cardboard type of material and easy bendible. :banana: I saw Blondie also cut a piece of hers off and it fit easier - thats another step still waiting for me, but for now I am trying to figure out if I can (at this stage) do the shingling in that spot Kathie was mentioning. But I think its to late for me as well, its already going to be difficult even without the roof on. But maybe its a good time to do it so long. (That is if I am spotting the correct place she mentioned as I am not sure.)

All you dollhousepeople who have done the shillings before (I suppose that all of you). Do you think it might be easier to do the shilling only with the strips so that you have sheets already shilled (?) lol, then you put the done sheets on the walls and cut of the access? Would that work?

All you dollhousepeople who have done the shillings before (I suppose that all of you). Do you think it might be easier to do the shilling only with the strips so that you have sheets already shilled (?) lol, then you put the done sheets on the walls and cut of the access? Would that work?

That is exactly what i did. Gina's blog recommended making a paper template of the roof and then using sheets of the shingles. It was so much easier that way. Also I had no difficult with my Beacon Hill Roof fitting as she suggested trimming the pieces to fit. Made is SOOO much easier.

Photos of the front door posted in my Gallery with more detail in my blog. I really like the way it looks!

Edit: Wheeee! I managed to remove photos from some earlier posts and can now add photos in the thread again.

post-818-0-14726700-1359750739_thumb.jpg